What is your reefing unpopular opinion?

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy and Ryan are annoying. Everything in this hobby is way too hyped. Newbies spend a-lot of money on unnecessary stuffthat is poor design and/or construction. This is the number one reason why people leave the hobby. I wish I could get back the money i spent on items that didn’t last three months. Before someone gives you free advise ask them to show you their tank. That free adise can cost alot in time, frustration, and expensive failures.

Depends on what stuff you pay attention to.

Their 52 weeks of reefing and then their 5 minutes guides are the top 2 best beginner guides for reefing, especially if you don't already have friends in to reefing.

The BRSTv Investigates is also pretty cool depending on what they're investigating. There are certain ones where I feel they're just trying to push a product, and then other ones, like the recent Calcium Reactor video, that will actively hurt their sales, but they pushed the info out anyways.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Randy and Ryan are annoying. Everything in this hobby is way too hyped. Newbies spend a-lot of money on unnecessary stuffthat is poor design and/or construction. This is the number one reason why people leave the hobby. I wish I could get back the money i spent on items that didn’t last three months. Before someone gives you free advise ask them to show you their tank. That free adise can cost alot in time, frustration, and expensive failures.
Assuming you mean BRS - ok. Your opinion. Newbies do spend a lot of money on stuff they 'don't need'. You dont know whether thats the 'number one reason' people leave the hobby do you? I believe Randy and Ryan have shown their tanks.

PS - most people that 'show their tanks' - are showing them at perfection - as compared to 'normal'. IMHO

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you mean BRS - ok. Your opinion. Newbies do spend a lot of money on stuff they 'don't need'. You dont know whether thats the 'number one reason' people leave the hobby do you? I believe Randy and Ryan have shown their tanks.

PS - most people that 'show their tanks' - are showing them at perfection - as compared to 'normal'. IMHO
to be fair, this thread is for unpopular opinions and @tallomd seems to have nailed it lol

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
to be fair, this thread is for unpopular opinions and @tallomd seems to have nailed it lol
Well yeah - its an unpopular 'untrue' opinion. The fact is that There is no factual basis behind the opinion about the 'number one reason people leave the hobby'. But - I think you might be correct - in the the way the question was asked - anyone could say anything and still be correct:):):)

blue-thumb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Online coral vendors should stop embellishing their pics.
Show me the colony not the fragrance

Well yeah - its an unpopular 'untrue' opinion. The fact is that There is no factual basis behind the opinion about the 'number one reason people leave the hobby'. But - I think you might be correct - in the the way the question was asked - anyone could say anything and still be correct:):):)
It is an opinion!!! It is not a fact. Opinions aren't true or untrue. You are correct. It is unfair to single out randy and ryan. Hyping products and places in an industry standard. On the other hand, BRS is one of the biggest players in the industry. I do think that some of their presentations on reef chemistry are very informative. On the other hand, every video highlights a product that can be purchased. It gives the uneducated newcomer the belief that ... If I buy this stuff then I can't go wrong. In my opinion, it is misleading. There is no silver bullet for success. I have purchased products from BRS which were hyped weren't usable after six months OR worse did not perform as advertised. If you have deep pockets then lesson learned but for people with a budget ... they just can't afford it. I have seen the BRS 160. That tank doesn't belong to Ryan and Randy personally. That was the first set of videos I watched. I assumed these guys were experts. They could pick any item from the warehouse ... no budget. Their tank was a moderate success. Jason Fox has coral in his home which grow well year after year with extraordinary color. He has done so consistently over time. I'd believe him! I did not mean to hurt anyones feelings. I knew that this opinion wouldn't be popular.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rock looks better with lots of different colors on it, as opposed to just solid purple. At least go for multiple shades of purple!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is an opinion!!! It is not a fact. Opinions aren't true or untrue.
In my opinion this is true. :)

PS - most people that 'show their tanks' - are showing them at perfection - as compared to 'normal'.
Yes, but not all people. I show my tank in the best of times and the worst of times. This "produce" farm was my tank in maybe the late 80s or 90s. I don't remember. ;Nailbiting

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my opinion this is true. :)

Yes, but not all people. I show my tank in the best of times and the worst of times. This "produce" farm was my tank in maybe the late 80s or 90s. I don't remember. ;Nailbiting

Thats why I said 'most people'... But your tanks always look good

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I probably worded my response incorrectly. And like I said - the way the OP is worded - its confusing. BUT - Its my opinion - that its possible for an 'opinion' to be either true or false.

For example if my 'unpopular' opinion was 'I think its ok to keep fish in glass tanks with no water'. Clearly thats an opinion, and clearly its 'untrue/impossible'.

Implying that (Paraphrased) 'BRS sells cheap crappy equipment and thats the main reason people leave the hobby' - is an opinion, but its also factually as incorrect as my example above. Or?

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That coral is the best nutrient control.

The more you have the less control you need.

And that every filter system should have some form of a wet dry. Nothing can handle ammonia spikes like a wet dry and don't give me that nitrate factory stuff. We all know that's about feeding and what you put in the system.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably worded my response incorrectly. And like I said - the way the OP is worded - its confusing. BUT - Its my opinion - that its possible for an 'opinion' to be either true or false.

For example if my 'unpopular' opinion was 'I think its ok to keep fish in glass tanks with no water'. Clearly thats an opinion, and clearly its 'untrue/impossible'.

Implying that (Paraphrased) 'BRS sells cheap crappy equipment and thats the main reason people leave the hobby' - is an opinion, but its also factually as incorrect as my example above. Or?
No, I see what you're saying. If BRS really just sold crappy equipment they'd most likely not be in business, or buying out other businesses because they're doing so well. I can see the other side of it too, their job is to sell stuff so that's what they're trying to do alongside educating hobbyists. I think people just need to branch out and find multiple sources of information and form an opinion based off of a bunch of opinions, rather than finding one YouTuber or reefing "personality" and deciding that they're going to be right 100% of the time. Every tank is different, there are a million different ways to run a reef. If there was just one "right way" we'd all be doing that!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back