What is your secret to keeping a successful reef tank?

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like everyone has a technique or something they do that keeps their tank going. Maybe it is using a certain product or a specific daily check that keeps the tank going. I am wondering what is your secret to keeping a successful reef tank?

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making a routine of checking the basics daily and a schedule for general maintenance (and stick to it regardless). Plus documenting everything so I can reference it later if needed.

I may not test daily but I am checking on fish/coral conditions daily, checking the skimmer to ensure it's doing it's job, checking filtration, water level and so on. Pretty much just keeping a daily eye out for anything out of the ordinary.

Oh, can't forget being on R2R almost daily. That is certainly contributed to more tank success.
Thumbs Ok GIF by MOODMAN

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like everyone has a technique or something they do that keeps their tank going. Maybe it is using a certain product or a specific daily check that keeps the tank going. I am wondering what is your secret to keeping a successful reef tank?
I try to pray for it every day but otherwise the technique that I use are just as you described them; “A secret.”

(So secret that I don’t even know them.)
:cool:
la la land lol GIF

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to pray for it every day but otherwise the technique that I use are just as you described them; “A secret.”

(So secret that I don’t even know them.)
:cool:
la la land lol GIF
I just started at that for a minute, freaky and cool.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe none of what I hear and half of what I read.
That's my secret.
Yup that’s true. Every time I snorkel on an ocean reef I always ask myself what is the secret to this place staying alive and growing without anyone doing maintenance on the place?

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it really comes down to using the scientific method. Perform lots of research and planning. If you have an issue, test for only 1 variable at a time to find the cause. When all is stable.....maintain. Go easy with the tinkering. Monitor water quality weekly. Perform water changes and/or dose necessary elements. Remember every person in charge and every setup is unique. Some of what works in one system may not in yours. Find your sweet spot and always accept your limitations.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 159 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 34.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.2%
Back