What is your WORST sting/accident that caused physical damage from the hobby?

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the hobby 12 + years, and accidents are rare so far, but I do have a couple stories now. I just got stung pretty bad last night on my finger and not even sure what it was. Felt like a bee sting, and my finger is still pretty swollen this morning. Once about 7-8 years ago a RBTA, or LPS caught my underarm pretty bad and it at one point became borderline necrotic. Almost had to go to the hospital for that one..

Anyone else have any sting stories or other crazy accidents?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My black sea cucumber "webbed" me once. Didn't hurt, but that crap is sticky as heck. Other than that, just a minor sting on my index finger from my RBTA which left an imperceptible welt. Nothing like your experience!

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upper ankle sprain, hyperextended thumb, er trip,
caused by 20" snowflake... :rolleyes:
to embarrassed to explain...:D
You do know after saying "too embarrassed to explain" means you now have to explain. ;-) In my mind I see this as... Your snowflake eel startled you causing you to lurch backward and spin sideways as you fell thus spraining your ankle and when you tried to break your fall you hyper extended your thumb. Am I close? ;-)

Lanny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watched 2 co-workers at my LFS test how bad a hellfire anemone(Actinodendron arboreum)
sting feels. First guy rubbed it with the back of his hand and didn't feel anything. Second guy did the same but he got hit hard. His hand looked like a red balloon the rest of the night. It ended up leaving scare tissue after it healed a few weeks later. He said it was the worst feeling he has felt. Me personally got stung pretty bad by a S. Giantea carpet anemone while not being careful. Dozens of tiny welts up my arm.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You do know after saying "too embarrassed to explain" means you now have to explain. ;-) In my mind I see this as... Your snowflake eel startled you causing you to lurch backward and spin sideways as you fell thus spraining your ankle and when you tried to break your fall you hyper extended your thumb. Am I close? ;-)
dead on !!
put eel back in, crawled to phone called wife ,to help me up the stairs ,and drive to er at 4am... :rolleyes: ;):D

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dead on !!
put eel back in, crawled to phone called wife ,to help me up the stairs ,and drive to er at 4am... :rolleyes: ;):D
O.. M.. G!! That definitely counts as a tank inhabitant related injury. What a crazy story! I would be keeping a steely eye on that eel whenever my hand had to go in the tank. ;-)

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to break a piece of a birdsnest off of a rock and when it broke free my hand slipped and I got a small cut on my hand from another coral that I hit. It’s not much of a story but all I’ve got.
Danger comes in all forms. You're lucky the story didn't end with that cut becoming infected and it ballooned to five times the size. I think we forget that our little "slice of the ocean" can actually be a dangerous place to stick our hands in.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Danger comes in all forms. You're lucky the story didn't end with that cut becoming infected and it ballooned to five times the size. I think we forget that our little "slice of the ocean" can actually be a dangerous place to stick our hands in.
I did go and immediately wash my hand to help try to make sure there wasn’t an infection. I even had gloves on which I honestly rarely use. They were cheap, thin gloves and offered no resistance to me being cut.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back