What is your WORST sting/accident that caused physical damage from the hobby?

michael_cb_125

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not read through the entire thread, so this may have been mentioned.
About 15 years ago I had a run in with a 250 watt metal halide. I had to use a razor blade to scrape the sizzling skin of the glass uv shield... The top of my right forearm will still not grow hair.

In and on the ocean I have had too many injuries to count. A few of the more memorable moments are:

A 4 foot blacktip latched onto my calf. Lucky he let go quickly with no spinning. I have a neat sharkbite scar now, lol.

An 8 inch squirrelfish got a spine into a small artery in my wrist. I thought my dad was going to pass out. I have only lost more blood one other time (planner accident). We were 40 miles offshore and I was in fishing mode. After the bleeding stopped, the pain set in. After 30 minutes of being light headed we continued catching goggle eyes, lol.

A 4.5 pound stone crab found my hand before I found his carapace... I pulled my hand from under the ledge with that big boy firmly atrached... to my brother and best friend to remove it without killing it. No blood, but a heck of a bruised hand.

I accidentally dove into a group of manowar.
I magically flew back into the boat. Trying to remove the long tentacles was a pain. My dad got stung in the process. I had scars for about 6 years that looked like someone took a whip to my legs and back. Fun times!!!

While not me, and not reef related. My brother had a 4 foot gator latch onto his hand, lol.
Stay attached for about 10 minutes while we figured out how to get him to let go without hurting him. A drinking straw and a puff of air down the throat and he let go!!

I have many more painful critter stories, but I will not bore yall.

~Michael

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not read through the entire thread, so this may have been mentioned.
About 15 years ago I had a run in with a 250 watt metal halide. I had to use a razor blade to scrape the sizzling skin of the glass uv shield... The top of my right forearm will still not grow hair.

In and on the ocean I have had too many injuries to count. A few of the more memorable moments are:

A 4 foot blacktip latched onto my calf. Lucky he let go quickly with no spinning. I have a neat sharkbite scar now, lol.

An 8 inch squirrelfish got a spine into a small artery in my wrist. I thought my dad was going to pass out. I have only lost more blood one other time (planner accident). We were 40 miles offshore and I was in fishing mode. After the bleeding stopped, the pain set in. After 30 minutes of being light headed we continued catching goggle eyes, lol.

A 4.5 pound stone crab found my hand before I found his carapace... I pulled my hand from under the ledge with that big boy firmly atrached... to my brother and best friend to remove it without killing it. No blood, but a heck of a bruised hand.

I accidentally dove into a group of manowar.
I magically flew back into the boat. Trying to remove the long tentacles was a pain. My dad got stung in the process. I had scars for about 6 years that looked like someone took a whip to my legs and back. Fun times!!!

While not me, and not reef related. My brother had a 4 foot gator latch onto his hand, lol.
Stay attached for about 10 minutes while we figured out how to get him to let go without hurting him. A drinking straw and a puff of air down the throat and he let go!!

I have many more painful critter stories, but I will not bore yall.

~Michael
I feel like you must live a colorful life based only on this information

michael_cb_125

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I feel like you must live a colorful life based only on this information".

I live a very wildlife oriented life, mixed with "bad luck", HaHa. I am blessed enough to have parents that left my brother and I outdoors as children, and as such I have a fascination with all wildlife.
I love trying to catch critters, and yes I put my self in danger at times.
I live in North Carolina, and have been fortunate enough to catch the vast majority of animals in our state. I have also been bitten, clawed, flogged, stung, and more by most of these animals. It comes with the territory,lol.

I also am an avid fisherman and free diver, which comes with other sets of danger..

I have too many stories to tell...

~Michael

Naso110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was gonna post about a lionfish sting when I was a kid....... Guess I just did, but u win. Haha

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shockingly nothing... and I'm pretty careless...

I have left the RODI fill line open and filled up a 55 gallon two or three times in the laundry room...

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Intense "lighting." Metal Halide two of them 400 watts each. Cleaned my then tank for over a hour few hours later I was in the emergency room blind. Not the worst light/flash blindness I experienced but nonetheless the light was the worst sting and accident I ever experienced from a reef tank. :cool: <--- wear shades/eye protection.

Last edited:

Widdlyscudds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
me buying ppe as fast as I can after reading all these
Working Battlestar Galactica GIF

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 46 85.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back