What is your WORST sting/accident that caused physical damage from the hobby?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bristle worms aka fireworm. If you do touch rinse/soak with vinegar and then use masking tape to pull the rest out.
I wish I knew this when I had to deal with a fireworm. I don’t remember what I ended up doing but I do know it hurt way more after.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I move something in my frag tank. My 1" clown attacks me and I always throw water on the wall pulling my arm out so fast. Then I usually say "It's on now!" While my wife watches me chase him around the tank seeking revenge with that I can't believe I married this guy look...

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I move something in my frag tank. My 1" clown attacks me and I always throw water on the wall pulling my arm out so fast. Then I usually say "It's on now!" While my wife watches me chase him around the tank seeking revenge with that I can't believe I'm stuck with this guy look...
I threaten my black photon with the bucket, my family find it funny watching a grown adult messing around with a fish and a bucket as if I was a child.

dakoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does constantly hitting my head on the top of the stand when working in the sump count?

In all seriousness - saltwater wise - working at an LFS, while cleaning a fish tank, I forgot the current occupant was a baby Volitan Lionfish. Brushed right up against him. That one hurt like a B.

Freshwater - again working at the same LFS - I was being a show off teen boy for the cute girls, showing them how aggressive the red belly piranha are by holding my hand over the tank and watching them swarm. Well I relaxed and one of fingers dipped into the water and one quick chomp later I have nice circular scar on the tip of my finger.
Did you get their phone numbers?

aquaman3680

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was younger, I was working at a fish store and was scraping the glass, there was a rock positioned closer to the glass and jammed my knuckle into it on accident. I didn't realize it had cut me and didn't think much about it at the time. I went home and my finger started to swell up like crazy. I thought it would go away over night, but the next morning a red line started going up my hand and my finger was the size of a large bratwurst.

Turns out the rock was covered in palythoas, so I scraped my knuckle on a rock and got paly toxin into the cut immediately without really realizing it. Had to go to the hospital and spent the night there to make sure everything was going to be okay. Pretty crazy experience!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was younger, I was working at a fish store and was scraping the glass, there was a rock positioned closer to the glass and jammed my knuckle into it on accident. I didn't realize it had cut me and didn't think much about it at the time. I went home and my finger started to swell up like crazy. I thought it would go away over night, but the next morning a red line started going up my hand and my finger was the size of a large bratwurst.

Turns out the rock was covered in palythoas, so I scraped my knuckle on a rock and got paly toxin into the cut immediately without really realizing it. Had to go to the hospital and spent the night there to make sure everything was going to be okay. Pretty crazy experience!
That must’ve been a scare when you realised then, don’t think I could have taken having palytoxin in a cut calmly.

aquaman3680

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That must’ve been a scare when you realised then, don’t think I could have taken having palytoxin in a cut calmly.
Luckily it was early enough that it wasn't really a huge issue, just got put on some general antibiotics, if I recall correctly. I lived in Kansas at the time, and nobody there had any idea what that was and kept telling me I was wrong. Finally they had to call a Dr. from Florida to confirm things and figure out what to do for treatment. I ended up having to spend the night in the hospital, just for observations, and the next morning while doing their rounds I had probably 35 people in my room all interested in seeing this thing they'd likely never see again in Kansas :grinning-face-with-sweat:

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got stuck by a lionfish.
called poison control to see what, if anything, i needed to do.
poison control operator: soak your hand in as hot of water as you can, without burning yourself :face-with-rolling-eyes: , for an hour/hour and a half.
possible respiratory or cardiac arrest.
pain may be so severe you may need to go to the er for pain meds (back in the eighties when getting pain med scripts was stupid easy)

after the phone call....
my room mate, in his late twenties and high since he was twelve years old, tells me i'm in pain and we need to go to the er and get that script.:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
my girlfriend, who later became ex #2, stayed up all night watching/waiting for me to goin to cardiac/respiratory arrest.

the hot water did the trick.

also.... been bitten by tank inhabitants during feeding.
feeding.jpg

and bristley wormed.
bristled.jpg

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely forgot all the times I've shocked myself working on various tanks. Between a frayed power cord on an old in-sump return pump for a 180 gallon, knocking a plugged in 250 watt metal halide light into the same 180 gallon, and reaching into a 125 gallon turtle tank with a broken 300W heater, I've been blown across a room 3 separate times. Ended up at the hospital 2 of those 3 times, and had an arrhythmia for almost 48 hrs after the 3rd time.

Now I always wear rubber soled footwear when working in a tank. I used to do almost all my tank maintenance barefoot.

ReefChasers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaching in Shipping Bag to retrieve a 12" Haddoni Anemone. I got him out and placed him before realizing that the entire underside of my arm got lit up. It wasn't too bad though I neutralize with vinegar and walk it off.

To be honest, the worst was probably getting stung by a bristleworm.... ugh those things hurt.

Victor0511

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hola buenos dias. En primer lugar, agradezco ser parte de este grupo del cual obtengo muchos conocimientos a diario y obtengo respuestas a todas mis dudas sobre este pasatiempo... mi accidente fue reajustar unas rocas con el uso de cloro. Mi error fue que puse parte del agua caliente del grifo con el cloro en el recipiente con las rocas... Aspiraba todo ese gas y a las 2 horas ya no podía respirar... Estuve casi 2 días en el hospital.

translation:
Hello good morning. First of all, I appreciate being part of this group from which I get a lot of knowledge on a daily basis and I get answers to all my doubts about this hobby... my accident was resetting some rocks with the use of chlorine. My mistake was that I put some of the hot water from the tap with the chlorine in the container with the rocks... I sucked in all that gas and after 2 hours I couldn't breathe anymore... I was in the hospital for almost 2 days.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These posts are absolutely crazy!! I thought I went through some pain.. Well, I am glad everyone is okay (for the most part).. Crazy what we go through with this hobby. I had no idea there would be so many stories so quickly.

Thank you everyone for sharing. Keep them coming!

- edit - just reading about the hobbyists who lost vision in an eye. I have heard of this happening. How awful..
Just a few months ago while cutting a zoanthid I saw one squirt a jet of palytoxin towards my tank. I will always wear goggles when dealing with corals now. Maybe its time for some gloves also.
Funny thing with my second palytoxin in the eye was I was wearing glasses and it somehow got around them and went straight in the eye. Luckily you notice something like that right away and I rinsed eye for like 10 minutes. Still issues after, but not as bad as it could have been. I was lucky!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely forgot all the times I've shocked myself working on various tanks. Between a frayed power cord on an old in-sump return pump for a 180 gallon, knocking a plugged in 250 watt metal halide light into the same 180 gallon, and reaching into a 125 gallon turtle tank with a broken 300W heater, I've been blown across a room 3 separate times. Ended up at the hospital 2 of those 3 times, and had an arrhythmia for almost 48 hrs after the 3rd time.

Now I always wear rubber soled footwear when working in a tank. I used to do almost all my tank maintenance barefoot., that second time I was thrown to ground with shock, I wore thick rubber gloves from then on to fix the lighting.
I get that. The second time I was thrown down I wore thick rubber gloves to do anything else with the light.

rc4kinu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first accident just happened recently since I started with my first goldfish in the 80’s! Was reorganizing electric cords, tucking away, hiding, you know trying to make it look clean and not so much like a DYI’ish. I was too lazy to go get stepladder to do one last thing, so used a wooden step stool that sits maybe 6 inches of the ground, I used before. No biggie. I’m not tall 5’9” folks. Anyhow, one leg of stool gave way and fell awkwardly towards tank and cabinetry. Gashed my knee and hit elbow at glass corner. Didn’t hurt but the sight of my own blood made me nauseous. Next day could not get out of bed. My elbow hurts so bad I had to roll out of bed. I babied that elbow for several hours and threw my opposite shoulder out. I finally went to orthopedic doctor and was told I had hairline fracture in elbow and torn ligament in shoulder. WOW right! Given shot and pain meds. That was chapter 1 saga. 2nd saga -had the worst case reaction (like the one in a million kind) to pain meds that sent me to ER. Liver is ticked off, kidney is trying to keep up and heart is skipping around to a different kind of drum beat! Hopefully it will all sort out. Insurance and Aflac I’m sure are making these emojies at my story and even last night, I saw that wire and wanted to blame it, yank at it and throw it out the window only to realize that it went to nothing!!!! It was an old AC adapter plug to something long since replaced apparently. This hobby must be a blind kinda love. - the end

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got stuck by a lionfish.
called poison control to see what, if anything, i needed to do.
poison control operator: soak your hand in as hot of water as you can, without burning yourself :face-with-rolling-eyes: , for an hour/hour and a half.
possible respiratory or cardiac arrest.
pain may be so severe you may need to go to the er for pain meds (back in the eighties when getting pain med scripts was stupid easy)

after the phone call....
my room mate, in his late twenties and high since he was twelve years old, tells me i'm in pain and we need to go to the er and get that script.:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
my girlfriend, who later became ex #2, stayed up all night watching/waiting for me to goin to cardiac/respiratory arrest.

the hot water did the trick.

also.... been bitten by tank inhabitants during feeding.
feeding.jpg

and bristley wormed.
bristled.jpg
OMG. I have never seen a pic of these in someone. They really unleash those bristles don't they?! Love the part about you roommate jumping on the opportunity to use your pain to his advantage. Haha. :)

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bristle worms aka fireworm. If you do touch rinse/soak with vinegar and then use masking tape to pull the rest out.
I'm adding this treatment to the file I keep on this kind of stuff.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took out a couple of cubes of mysis to feed the tank, dropped them in with my fingers. Sometime latter rubbed my eyes, awoke in the middle of the night with my eye absolutely on FIRE, felt like glass in my eyes. Off the the ER for antibiotic eye flush and drops. Never again touched fish food bare handed.
I haven't heard of this before! Yikeys! Note to myself: Wash hands immediately after handling fish foods.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristleworms and fireworms are definitely not the same on the pain scale. They're called fireworms for a reason. I had some years ago on fresh imported live rock, and regularly snorkel with fireworms in St Kitts. They're a whole other level of pain from a bristleworm. See this pic of an actual fireworm.

2021_0302_18122800.jpg

On that note, Millepora fire coral also sucks for most people, but I've never been bothered by it. On a recent snorkeling trip my friend got knocked into a stand by a wave and his arms and legs were covered in rashes for about a week. The reefs in St Kitts can be pretty brutal. There are urchins everywhere here.

Giant colony of Millepora fire coral
2021_0226_12562400.jpg

Average reef floor in St Kitts littered with urchins
2021_0226_12351500.jpg
The worms, I can't take the worms. Everyone must stop with their worm stories. Haha! ;-) Those are great pics!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My worst accident...

Reached into the cabinet under my tank and my hand hit the exhaust fan blade.

Pulled my hand back really fast, snagging my palm and thumb on an exposed nail. Ended up in the hospital for stitches,

I still have a 2" scar from that event years ago.

The worst part of it was at the hospital check in, my hand is wrapped with a bloody towel and my wife is with me. They take the time to be filling in info like what is my religion. But, that hospital is now gone and my hand still works, so a bit of revenge. lol

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back