What is your WORST sting/accident that caused physical damage from the hobby?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making sticks grow and thrive is far more rewarding anyway.
Totally! Just the issue is I have a blenny that avoids clams at all costs but goes to town on sticks.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I don’t own or dream to own Lions, if I get stung there is no chance a hospital over here will have an anti venom for a lionfish sting on hand at all times (I mean come on, who would think people are going to need a Lionfish venom antidote if you don’t have a Warm climate with lions all around the shore).
Actually, this is also why I fear the day I have any serious injury. I mean how awkward would it be to say something like “I got stung by a foxface” or something like that to someone who had 0 idea on the reefing hobby.
Exactly …

now imagine living in Canada .

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My worst accident from this hobby started when I bought my first bag of salt mix
rimshot GIF

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I don’t own or dream to own Lions, if I get stung there is no chance a hospital over here will have an anti venom for a lionfish sting on hand at all times (I mean come on, who would think people are going to need a Lionfish venom antidote if you don’t have a Warm climate with lions all around the shore).
Actually, this is also why I fear the day I have any serious injury. I mean how awkward would it be to say something like “I got stung by a foxface” or something like that to someone who had 0 idea on the reefing hobby.
Lion fish stings aren’t deadly, you don’t need antivenin, if you have an allergic reaction, you need antihistamines/steroids. There can also be complications from swelling, but again, antivenin isn’t how you’d treat it. Most people don’t even need medical attention (though it’s always a good idea regardless). They’re painful, and I fully understand not wanting to keep one, for a whole host of reasons, but worrying about antivenin being available shouldn’t be one of them.

I also think the threat of keeping zoas/palys/soft corals is massively overstated, driving/riding in a car is exponentially more dangerous, it just seems like a weird thing to worry about. I realize there are freak accidents that happen, but it seems to that if you’re worried about zoas/soft corals you should probably skip reefing altogether. So many of the animals we keep have the potential to harm us, rabbit fish, puffers, urchins, bristle worms, vermetids, anemones/corals, snails, even live rock, pretty much everything we keep has the potential harm us, even clownfish, but the vast majority don’t pose a significant risk if you take proper precautions.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lion fish stings aren’t deadly, you don’t need antivenin, if you have an allergic reaction, you need antihistamines/steroids. There can also be complications from swelling, but again, antivenin isn’t how you’d treat it. Most people don’t even need medical attention (though it’s always a good idea regardless). They’re painful, and I fully understand not wanting to keep one, for a whole host of reasons, but worrying about antivenin being available shouldn’t be one of them.

I also think the threat of keeping zoas/palys/soft corals is massively overstated, driving/riding in a car is exponentially more dangerous, it just seems like a weird thing to worry about. I realize there are freak accidents that happen, but it seems to that if you’re worried about zoas/soft corals you should probably skip reefing altogether. So many of the animals we keep have the potential to harm us, rabbit fish, puffers, urchins, bristle worms, vermetids, anemones/corals, snails, even live rock, pretty much everything we keep has the potential harm us, even clownfish, but the vast majority don’t pose a significant risk if you take proper precautions.
I’m aware basically everything we do could harm us but if I’m honest it’s more the worry of trying to explain it to a person who has no idea what it is. Being stung or bitten doesn’t really “scare” me but explaining it is my nightmare. I had to explain what a scalpel on a tang was a few years back but still ended up being told it wasn’t too bad and will heal on its own.

Blumy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My eye disagrees. They don’t do anything other than take over stealing real estate for other corals. Like I said, never again.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My eye disagrees. They don’t do anything other than take over stealing real estate for other corals. Like I said, never again.
Like I said, freak accidents do occur, and I’m very sorry about your eye (truly), I can completely understand why you’re personally reluctant to keep them going forward. But I don’t think they pose any more danger to us than a million other things we do every day. Probably 90% of reefers keep this species, it’s not a common or widespread issue. And they’re just like any other coral, they’re all fighting for real estate.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a sting but I found out how sharp the 4 scalpels are on my naso tang when I decided to catch him in QT without a net. Just as he slipped through my hands he snapped his tail back and forth and sliced open my index finger and thumb. Being the glutton for punishment that I am I continued the chore and found out rabbit fish do have poison in their dorsal fins when I got stung twice. At this point I gave up and grabbed a couple of nets. :zany-face:

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It surprises me how many people on here get stung by Anemone; I have moved some of mine probably dozens of times, bare handed and never been stung. Are certain Anemone more prone to sting?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It surprises me how many people on here get stung by Anemone; I have moved some of mine probably dozens of times, bare handed and never been stung. Are certain Anemone more prone to sting?
Some have a worse sting than others. And some people are more sensitive to stings. But it also depends on where you get stung. More sensitive areas with thinner skin generally have worse reactions. When I used to live by the ocean, when walking on the beach there would often be lots of little jellyfish that would wash up, and if you stepped on one with the bottom of your foot, you wouldn’t really even feel it, but if it stung the side or top of your foot, it felt like a bee sting.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palytoxin melted my cornea and burned a hole to my inner eye. Yep, that’s inner eye fluid leaking out. Had an emergency cornea transplant to save the eye. Used all the precautions bit somehow I got some on my hand and at some point rubbed my eye. Stripped the tank bare and went SPS. I’ll never have softies again.

4E2A0675-A190-4EF1-8DE7-55FF902D029E.jpeg
@Hannahmunt

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not being the strongest swimmer is my #1

number 2 would Be getting stung by something or bitten .
I remember my first time coming across this jelly plate thing in the water… That’s how I found out jellyfish may look odd but touch the wrong part and you’ll be sorry.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But on the other hand …
If you’re constantly looking at your feet , you will miss what’s right in front of your eyes.
Such as a sweet wave knocking you over or drenching you if you’re going in in clothes.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can’t see my feet in water.. it’s a big “NOPE” for me.
kelp is the worst thing you could have floating around. If it wipes against you the fear builds.

I have too many stories about close calls in the ocean… And I live in the UK! I dread to think how many close calls people in America have.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such as a sweet wave knocking you over or drenching you if you’re going in in clothes.
Oh I don’t do waves either lol. It amazes me how much I don’t like the beach growing up in Florida. I love being on boats,, fishing, maybe a snorkel, other than that I’m pool side. :cool:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back