What issue would you/have you torn down a tank over?

Have you ever torn down a tank over an issue you couldn't seem to beat?

• Yes! I have. (Tell us about what issue you faced in the thread.)

Votes: 225 26.0%
  • No. Thankfully, I haven't.

Votes: 428 49.4%
  • Nope, but it almost happened. (Share your experience in the thread.)

Votes: 67 7.7%
  • Not yet, but I'm almost there. (Tell us what you're dealing with.)

Votes: 74 8.5%
  • If you reef long enough, this will eventually happen to you.

Votes: 56 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 17 2.0%

• Total voters

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was after I moved my tank a few hundred miles. I had no livestock losses during the move, and no nitrate spike but still under .5ppm. But I stirred up something bad in the sand bed and every kind of horrible algae you could think of was out of control (1 year tank at that point, water was where it should be, SPS lovin' it, Euphyllias feelin' it, and was finally past all the nasty).

What I failed to realize is that I did NOT shipon the junk from my sand bed before OR after the move. I know I probably could have saved it, but the electricity bill was just too high to keep trying.

It became a very sucessful planted tank after I shut it down until, you guessed it.... I moved again. And I couldn't keep up with the electricity (250w MH reduced to 150w, but to no avail). So I only have my 20gal cube rn while I continue to setup my 150g.

BTW -- This was so long ago, that green Stag cost me $65.00. And it was maybe 1/2" shorter than that.
1642799826861.png

1642798986583.png
1642799154391.png

1642799196248.png

My favorite part of my tank. This relatively large, thriving pulsing Xenia colony. I fragged enough of it BEFORE this picture to fund getting a 250w MH setup (fixture, bulb, pendant, ballast). It grow like a dandelion.
1642799868265.png

1642799906772.png

1642799320334.png

1642799350539.png

1642799390099.png

And here is the first [blurry] Pic when I moved it. This was all the corals and fish back into the main display. I sold the large xenias colony and kept a few heads .

Recreating what this tank was is why I still had a 10gal cube afterwards, up to a 20gal cube, now to be a 150g. So it just took me a while to really dive in again.
1642799671520.png
I may need you to teach me photography.

Dakota_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may need you to teach me photography.
This was before I got my degree in photography, :-D but you can tell I enjoyed macro work. Pretty sure these aren't edited at all. I ended up doing a bunch of SCUBA underwater work as well.

And the lighting is a 14K phoenix 250w (might be a Hamilton 14K depending on exact dates) with True Actinic PC bulbs. The true color spectrum of a halide is just perfect for photos.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was before I got my degree in photography, :-D but you can tell I enjoyed macro work. I ended up doing a bunch of SCUBA underwater work as well.

And the lighting is a 14K phoenix 250w (might be a Hamilton 14K depending on exact dates) with True Actinic PC bulbs. The true color spectrum of a halide is just perfect for photos.
No idea how all of that adds up to those photos. But I do know that I have alot to learn in that department. Excellent work.

weamdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lovely bubble algae tank that is just asking for a breakdown. The only thing stopping me is the maroon clowns and a six line that I don't want to move to other tanks just yet.

This is a FOWL(bubblealgae)R so no biggie.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have torn down my tanks over the years. Cyano and Green hair Algae was the main reason.

However I learned that teardowns are not necessarily the best fix. Can work, has worked as a reset, however if you don't change your tank husbandry and pest control strategies those issues can come back.

I have battled and considered tank teardowns due to serious outbreaks of :

(A) Cyano
(B) Aitpasia
(C) Asterina
(D) Colonial Hydriods
and now (E) Red Planaria Flatworms.

Each time I've considered Chemicals, Tank tear downs (full or partial).

I always opted for natuaral solutions:

[ A ] Patience, less Potions/Junk, more flow in Tank for Cyano
[ B ] Beghias devoured the Aiptasia.
[ C ] Harlequin Shrimp got every Asterina Starfish.
[ D ] No more broadcast feeding corals, 12 months later, Hydriods are there, but not visible, or doing damage.
[ E ] Melanarus Wrasse is in QT to tackle the Harmlesss, but eyesore Planaria (Plus the pest is free food for the wrasse)

Each natural remedy took much longer than a quick magic potion or harsh chemical.

Going natural can be educational, more rewarding, and a long term solution.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have torn down my tanks over the years. Cyano and Green hair Algae was the main reason.

However I learned that teardowns are not necessarily the best fix. Can work, has worked as a reset, however if you don't change your tank husbandry and pest control strategies those issues can come back.

I have battled and considered tank teardowns due to serious outbreaks of :

(A) Cyano
(B) Aitpasia
(C) Asterina
(D) Colonial Hydriods
and now (E) Red Planaria Flatworms.

Each time I've considered Chemicals, Tank tear downs (full or partial).

I always opted for natuaral solutions:

[ A ] Patience, less Potions/Junk, more flow in Tank for Cyano
[ B ] Beghias devoured the Aiptasia.
[ C ] Harlequin Shrimp got every Asterina Starfish.
[ D ] No more broadcast feeding corals, 12 months later, Hydriods are there, but not visible, or doing damage.
[ E ] Melanarus Wrasse is in QT to tackle the Harmlesss, but eyesore Planaria (Plus the pest is free food for the wrasse)

Each natural remedy took much longer than a quick magic potion or harsh chemical.

Going natural can be educational, more rewarding, and a long term solution.
The Melanarus is a great attacker of Planaria. I inherited one off of my dad's tank for that reason, if he catches it out during the day it's done. The previous sixline I had did much the same, but he would actually hunt after lights out!

Jerrym21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have. My 110 was running beautifully for around 4 years. Then a friend was breaking down his tank during divorce. I took his livestock including Zenia and Colt coral. What a mistake. They over ran everything in a few months. Did all the manual removal I could but just kept getting worse. Eventually I gave up and broke everything down. The good thing about it is, it gave me an excuse to start over with a 180 and the knowledge of what I would “NEVER put in my tank again”.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had many tanks over the years, from moving so often but I’ve never wanted to NOT solve a problem. I’ve never wanted to nuke the tank and start over. My longest running tank (7 years) had Dino’s twice and usually an algae outbreak once a year. I’m meticulous in what I put in my tanks so I think the only thing that could potentially make me want to tear down (after not finding a fix) would be aiptasia or some algae that couldn’t be fixed by a deep clean.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost tore down my 3 year old tank due to dinos and then a massive GHA outbreak. Both of those issues required several methods and they were still returning. Very, very frustrating. But glad I didn't tear down. Found UV for the dinos and now running an ATS for the GHA. Tank is healthy (and likely healthier than if I started over) and I learned a lot.

Of course, I also lost all but one of my original corals and all but one of my original fish.

It's really only been the last six months I've been happy I didn't tear it down. Before I've gotten this 6/7 months of success (after a year or more of issues) I would've said I should've done a do over and was silly to keep at it. But now...with enough time and distance perceptions change and regrets fade.

Garia666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose no but almost.

My LFS burned down a couple of years ago. He almost did not return due to insurance issues. However due to an public donation which was started, and big financial support of a regular client. He managed to restart now he is flourishing again. He’s an really nice guy always willing to go the extra mile. Example heater or pump breaks down he’ll make sure you can pick one up, payment comes later.

he is 45 minutes one way trip , I had to go to different stores for a long while driving way longer. It was just not the same so I almost quit.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I had a bad outbreak of Dinos I fought for months. I decided it was best just to start over. Thankfully the tank was still young, under a year old.

eefan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First tank crashed after power outage mixed with winter storm caused temps to drop near freezing. Quit the hobby for two years.

Second attempt, I quit after the tank was overtaken by aptasia and bubble algae.

Currently on attempt #3 and doing fine (knock on wood) so far. Working hard on making sure I focus on maintaining consistency and learn from my past mistakes. Third time’s the charm, right?

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot about the major seam leak on my glasscages 240 a few years back.
Definitely had to take that one down.
Sorry to hear about that @mfinn. Sometime these things happen. Not sure I can can help or support on something of the past, but sure willing to offer support. Let me know.

Pet Detective

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, 10 yrs worth of Mushroom Anenome growth was ridiculous, every rock, every empty shell, every inch of the back glass, every sps coral base or branch, even the return flow tubes were covered, tore it down, bought new dry rock and scorched the old rock in the sun for weeks, have it stored away for my next rainy day project. Now I am Mushroom & aiptasia free.....freee....freeeee....free at last, on a side note, your tank will go through the uglies after doing this, however it did not affect my sps dominated reef. It was worth every ounce of energy I put into it.

lovemyfishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright! Let's have a new question of the day! Thanks to @Latte for this one!

It seems that the reef hobby has advanced to the point that most issues can generally be dealt with or at least managed. However, we still see threads regularly where some of the pests and problems we face can ultimately lead to a tank tear down (or worse, someone completely calling it quits). Dealing with some of the things we face can be a long and arduous road. What has been your story?

1. What issue have you torn down a tank over?
2. What did you decide to do, and how has that worked for you since?

OR

3. Alternatively, if you haven't had to tear a tank down, what issue do you think would put you there?

@Bacon505's beautiful reef! His reef was featured as our Reef of the Month in November 2021!
qotd.jpeg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 55 49.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 61 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.1%
Back