what kalk supplement do you use? Want to supplement my calcium reactor

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My calcium reactor cannot keep up with my demand anymore so I want to use some kalk as a supplement.

I want to do this so I can also hopefully help raise my PH a little.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ESV kalkwasser powder in my ato. Cheap, easy, and works great. A rarity in this hobby

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS Pharma grade. No residue is left behind. It also lasts longer between fills comparing equal volume to equal volume vs previous brands.

When I used other brands of kalkwasser- Dr Fosters and Smith ( no longer available) and BRS old version (also no longer sold) they both left behind undissolved solids that needed to be cleaned out.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS Pharma grade. No residue is left behind. It also lasts longer between fills comparing equal volume to equal volume vs previous brands.

When I used other brands of kalkwasser- Dr Fosters and Smith ( no longer available) and BRS old version (also no longer sold) they both left behind undissolved solids that needed to be cleaned out.
That’s good to know. With ESV there is definitely a residue that I would just leave and re-top with new mix. Only cleaned a few times a year and haven’t had a problem with that for years. Now that I’m dosing a few once’s of vinegar in ato with kalk there is absolutely no residue, and water clears enough to use in a fraction the time

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good to know. With ESV there is definitely a residue that I would just leave and re-top with new mix. Only cleaned a few times a year and haven’t had a problem with that for years. Now that I’m dosing a few once’s of vinegar in ato with kalk there is absolutely no residue, and water clears enough to use in a fraction the time
I should clarify - I am using a Kalk reactor, sounds like you are mixing the Kalk in your ATO reservoir?

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mrs wages leaves this junk behind. I’ll switch over to the BRS. I’m glad you said something about it

Lollipop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you feed the calcium reactor effluent through the kalk stirrer instead of RODI? i want avoid another pump and space!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless your CaRx is the size of a soda can, or you have a huge tank filled wall-to-wall with colonies, then your CaRx might just need a better tune. If you use a pH probe to "control" it, then that is likely the reason and you don't need kalk. If you have any interest in learning how to tune it better, then let us know. Otherwise, I will stay out of it.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Unless your CaRx is the size of a soda can, or you have a huge tank filled wall-to-wall with colonies, then your CaRx might just need a better tune. If you use a pH probe to "control" it, then that is likely the reason and you don't need kalk. If you have any interest in learning how to tune it better, then let us know. Otherwise, I will stay out of it.

I have 700g water volume and a good amount of colonies and it definitely is struggling to keep up and that is along with 10% water changes with instant ocean which has a much higher alk then my tank.

I dont use a PH probe anymore. Just do a bubble every 3/4 seconds and a steady stream out.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 700g water volume and a good amount of colonies and it definitely is struggling to keep up and that is along with 10% water changes with instant ocean which has a much higher alk then my tank.

I dont use a PH probe anymore. Just do a bubble every 3/4 seconds and a steady stream out.
That seems like a very low bubble count for your systems size.
What is the dkh of your effluent?
I run a small carx on my 120 and my bubble count is 70 per minute with a slow steady stream and a dkh of 20-25.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That seems like a very low bubble count for your systems size.
What is the dkh of your effluent?
I run a small carx on my 120 and my bubble count is 70 per minute with a slow steady stream and a dkh of 20-25.

If I go any faster my CaRX gets too many bubbles and gets all messed up

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back