What keeps you in the hobby or makes you come back to it?

What keeps you in the hobby?

• I like to have my slice of ocean

• It brings me peace of mind

• I like the colors

• It keeps me busy

• My family loves the tank

• I like to have something to take care of

• Just for fun

• My wife makes me

• I have to spend the money on something

• I don't know

• Others (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, let's talk about what keeps you going on this hobby. Most of people including myself have "seasons" when I reef more however even if leave my tank alone for while I always come back to enjoy it. People even take breaks in between tanks but something make them come back to reefing.

in my case, it keeps me busy, it cools me and gives my mind something to be focus on. It also cools me, just look at the fish and corals movement makes me drift and relax.

What keeps in the hobby?

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the challenge of reefing. I failed twice in the past, shut down the tanks and went back to the fresh water side. However I couldn’t give up on reefing. Now I have been successful for the last six years. Now I look at the beautiful tanks at wwc and I say I will have a tank like that one day. I can’t help myself now, I’m addicted now.

OP
OP
PanchoG

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started out reefing in 2004, stayed for a few years, left in 2009 and came back in 2013. Love the tranquility of a reef tank, couldn't even tell you the last time I turned on a TV.
Man, that sounds great, you have 3 more years reefing than me. I know what you mean, I prefer watching my tank any day than the TV.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love watching fish. I had several FW tanks since 1982 and added a salt tank in 2007. Now I have fish, shrimp, urchins and crabs to watch. Fresh and salt.
IMG_3439_HEIC-L.jpg
IMG_3418_HEIC-M.jpg

2021040211044804-5024641410054698600-IMG_3479_HEIC-M.jpg

IMG_3486_HEIC-M.jpg

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could have chosen 4 reasons. For one, I find marine life fascinating. Even with my FO tank with my clowns and hermits, I catch myself getting lost in just watching their antics. I also am the type of person who needs something positive to fall back and focus on.

But also there’s something therapeutic about having something to take care of.

OP
OP
PanchoG

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love watching fish. I had several FW tanks since 1982 and added a salt tank in 2007. Now I have fish, shrimp, urchins and crabs to watch. Fresh and salt.
IMG_3439_HEIC-L.jpg
IMG_3418_HEIC-M.jpg

2021040211044804-5024641410054698600-IMG_3479_HEIC-M.jpg

IMG_3486_HEIC-M.jpg
Man, those are some beautiful fish!

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The challenge and success you can achieve. Mix that in with the beauty and having a slice of the ocean in your family room/living room/basement/bedroom and how can you beat it.

Add in the colors and exotic fish & corals and its just the best dang hobby there is. Never ending learning and experiences/challenges you can take on!

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could have chosen a couple more options.

This can be a very sad and frustrating hobby when you inexplicably lose livestock or worse yet you lose an entire tank to disease or a power outage, etc. but it's also a very rewarding hobby when things go right and it doesn't matter if it's a saltwater, freshwater or brackish setup. I can sit here for hours watching the action going on in my tanks although I will admit I often have my tv on at the same time. :-D My ears are listening to the tv while my eyes are watching my fish glide back and forth across the tank or bouncing along the bottom. It's very peaceful and satisfying! I think it's also a special experience to interact with creatures so vastly different than ourselves!

OP
OP
PanchoG

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could have chosen 4 reasons. For one, I find marine life fascinating. Even with my FO tank with my clowns and hermits, I catch myself getting lost in just watching their antics. I also am the type of person who needs something positive to fall back and focus on.

But also there’s something therapeutic about having something to take care of.
The hermits rock, I love/hate them because they kill my turbos but they are so fun to watch. I am with you in the therapeutic side, the reason why I need my mind occupied is my anxiety disorder and having a reef tank keeps my grounded and busy, really good therapy against anxiety.

Mydoghasfleas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me a large part is the escape it gives me. Don’t have to think about work, and really lose myself in it. And also have had a strong fascination with corals and marine life. It’s great to nurture something, and you can really get a lot out of what you put into it with reef keeping!

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hermits rock, I love/hate them because they kill my turbos but they are so fun to watch. I am with you in the therapeutic side, the reason why I need my mind occupied is my anxiety disorder and having a reef tank keeps my grounded and busy, really good therapy against anxiety.

yeah I’ve got an anxiety disorder as well. So I’m with ya 100%.

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a perfect balance between it being challenging and rewarding. Something you can never perfect but also something you never get tired of seeing. Nothing beats a fresh cup of coffee and watching your tank first thing in the morning. Been doing this since 2005 when I was 15yrs old and there's no hobby quite like it. Always keeps me coming back.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started out with a 25g cube with canister filter. Now I have a 180g peninsula. I got a little carried away with a frag system a few years ago. Since then I've scaled back the frag system to one low boy.

I started it with softies and lps, pretty much like everyone does. I got into acros a little, but to be honest the lack of movement made it really boring. I'm back to mostly lps and softy with some plating monti there. I'm even thinking about getting rid of the monti and going back to mostly softies, so the tank had lots of movement again.

I stay in the hobby because I find it fun. I mean, is a hobby, and we need to enjoy the hobbies we do, if we're don't it just becomes work

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just sitting here watching my neon goby taking turns on all my fish every morning. For a 1 inch fish he is the coolest . But the challenge of making something so beautiful. Zoa gardens hammers sticks plate coraline. It all comes together to make a reef in your house. I have been though so much missory over my last tanks you name it I've had it aptasia.,red flat worms,every kind of algea you can think of. And I battle it . This is my 3rd set up also .firt one caught my house on fire. Second one flat worm exit nuked my tank. So I hope third time is a charm. So far so good.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back