what killed my hippo tang? (A lot of pictures)

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted about 12 hours ago about my hippo tang who was acting fine but had some major discoloration on her mouth/fins/body and was told to dose kanaplex and raise my salinity by 0.001 (1.023 to 1.024) for it to work as best as possible I bought this fish from saltwaterfish and got her for $19 which seemed weird, I noticed it immediately in the bag but it was not nearly as bad as it was when she died just looked like her top fin bones had no flesh around them and were exposed so I added her to my observation tank and wake up and it was a very weird thing I’ve never seen on a fish before. My water parameters when I added her were 0 ammonia 10 nitrates salinity was 1.024 and phosphates were a zero I am also running a uv sterilizer on the tank and she was acclimated to temp for about 30 minutes but they shipped her in the same salinity my tank was at so I added a few half cups over that 30 minute period to adjust ph etc and then added her , she was there less than 24 hours so I’m just wondering what this is if I need to treat my other fish with it and if I need to use something besides kanaplex to do so. I also freshwater dipped the body to see if flukes fell out fresh water dipped it for 10 or so minutes and nothing came off except some white flakey material think more like fish flake than fluke. Could be a fluke thought I’m not to sure about them have never dealt with them until possibly now. Forgot to add she gasped for air a lot almost like she had velvet but that was the only sign of velvet no flashing scratching swimming in flow etc she swam like normal but her breathing was almost two times faster than normal
15130C5C-46C5-44C5-97F2-50D5F0693190.jpeg
15130C5C-46C5-44C5-97F2-50D5F0693190.jpeg
6C9615F9-598C-4BC0-BD6B-24F2AD6283F9.jpeg
3B02FB42-FB56-4321-85DB-A2763F25BA50.jpeg
65D60E8B-59B9-4AA3-B36A-44191BB0D46A.jpeg
818D6740-A52D-4FF1-B35E-6587B400457F.jpeg 37D6C5F8-E2DD-4AA0-984F-2E04711890A5.jpeg 62CE5E29-0B2B-45F5-8D79-9DD0CC12B453.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Well this bites
That too fin still suggests a bacterial issue and would likely be confined to fish
Is fish thin when it arrived?

I’m going to seek a second opinion
@Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this bites
That too fin still suggests a bacterial issue and would likely be confined to fish

@Jay Hemdal
yes was thin and generally in poor health. refused to eat but was swimming around just fine just acted kinda off her mouth stayed open and her gills were moving like crazy. we arnt talking paper thing but the scopas tang I ordered was the same size and 2-3 times thicker than she was, scopas and all other fish are eating fine and look very healthy.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
yes was thin and generally in poor health. refused to eat but was swimming around just fine just acted kinda off her mouth stayed open and her gills were moving like crazy. we arnt talking paper thing but the scopas tang I ordered was the same size and 2-3 times thicker than she was, scopas and all other fish are eating fine and look very healthy.
I had same experience with saltwater.com
Prices great but fish skinny and undersized from what ordered
They have a great DOA POLICY though

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had same experience with saltwater.com
Prices great but fish skinny and undersized from what ordered
They have a great DOA POLICY though
Honestly I’m both impressed and not impressed with them, I bought a scopas tang, Midas blenny, three smiths damsels (the best damsel!!!!) a lawnmower blenny, the hippo tang and a ruby red fairy wrasse, two of the damsels were dead on arrival the third one was literally beaten up so bad her fins look like they are gonna fall off but she’s doing fine 24 hours later no infections etc she will heal fine I’m assuming. And then of course the hippo tang wasn’t exactly what I was hoping for. Now the rest blew my expectations out of the water the scopas tang is absolutely beautiful hes nice and thick and all around healthy eats like a champ and same goes for the rest of the fish not listed above in a negative light. anyways I am also thinking it was a bacterial infection for my hippo that got to her and it shouldn’t spread to my other fish right? I’ve got kanaplex dosed on the water right now but I’m wondering if I should add carbon back and turn on skimmer again to not cause unnecessary immunity to it/stress from meds. should I just go ahead and keep it dosed for the smiths damsel? It’s got no infection YET but I can 100% say its aggression related wounds on her doesn’t look anything like fin rot but there’s no way I’m getting a picture of her because she’s fast.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Honestly I’m both impressed and not impressed with them, I bought a scopas tang, Midas blenny, three smiths damsels (the best damsel!!!!) a lawnmower blenny, the hippo tang and a ruby red fairy wrasse, two of the damsels were dead on arrival the third one was literally beaten up so bad her fins look like they are gonna fall off but she’s doing fine 24 hours later no infections etc she will heal fine I’m assuming. And then of course the hippo tang wasn’t exactly what I was hoping for. Now the rest blew my expectations out of the water the scopas tang is absolutely beautiful hes nice and thick and all around healthy eats like a champ and same goes for the rest of the fish not listed above in a negative light. anyways I am also thinking it was a bacterial infection for my hippo that got to her and it shouldn’t spread to my other fish right? I’ve got kanaplex dosed on the water right now but I’m wondering if I should add carbon back and turn on skimmer again to not cause unnecessary immunity to it/stress from meds. should I just go ahead and keep it dosed for the smiths damsel? It’s got no infection YET but I can 100% say its aggression related wounds on her doesn’t look anything like fin rot but there’s no way I’m getting a picture of her because she’s fast.
Skimmer yes and I feel confident other occupants were not exposed to anything of risk to exposure

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this bites

@Jay Hemdal

Tough to see anything in dead fish after-the-fact.
The discoloration could just be post-mortem artifacts.

How long had the fish been in the tank overal1? Less than 24 hours? If so, I think it was just in really poor shape when you got it. Even from the best suppliers, I expect a 3% overall shipping mortality rate and another 5% loss in the fist 72 hours. If the shipper isn't top notch, those numbers will be higher.

Jay

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to see anything in dead fish after-the-fact.
The discoloration could just be post-mortem artifacts.

How long had the fish been in the tank overal1? Less than 24 hours? If so, I think it was just in really poor shape when you got it. Even from the best suppliers, I expect a 3% overall shipping mortality rate and another 5% loss in the fist 72 hours. If the shipper isn't top notch, those numbers will be higher.

Jay
Less than 24 hours. And weirdly enough those colors were on her when she was alive also.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Less than 24 hours. And weirdly enough those colors were on her when she was alive also.
Agree with others, could be bacterial, a chemical injury (ammonia in the bag) or something viral. As already said - the fish did not look to be in the best shape?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back