What kills grazing snails, but doesn't harm Nassarius snails, crabs, shrimp, or fish?

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so the tank is not doing well. My question for you all now is, what kills grazing snails, but doesn't harm Nassarius snails, crabs, shrimp, or fish?

I apologize in advance, as this post is not terribly well organized. Part of the reason for that is that I don't have a good handle on what is happening. There are two ongoing problems that may very well be related. Snails keep dying, GHA keeps growing. This post is about the snails though.

I've added more detail below, but here's what is happening in terms of life and death in my 120g tank that was set up in last June.

Grazing snails (a few astraea and trochus early on, lots of turbo snails since), are all dying. They have always had short lifespans in this system. I started adding them slowly, and I think that there was a gradual turnover. When they are added they don't really hang out on the rocks, most head to the glass and then mostly around the surface (they were keeping algae of the back glass though, so not always up there).

They last a few days to a few weeks, then spend more time falling over until they don't get up.

A couple of them were moved to the QT, which gets changed with old DT water, and they are fine. So I don't think it is something in the water but I obviously don't know...

We had a Conch that lasted for a couple of months.

Two sea hares have also come into the system and only lasted a few days to a week or so.

Other animals in the system are doing fine:

Nassarius snails, doing fine. 8 of them now.

Fish, all seem very healthy.

Crabs, Hermit crabs seem to have been doing fine over the months. Though frankly I feel like I'm seeing less Hermit crabs in the last month than I used to. Not sure though, not a bunch of extra shells around so dunno.

We have an Emerald Crab that has been here for a few months and still around.

There is a Porcelain Crab that must have come in a separate a baby hitchhiker last summer with the live rock. Saw it for the first time in the fall, still see glimpses of it some nights.

Cleaner shrimp, pair all good for a few months, spawning away. For months there was a regular supply of baby shrimp in the sump. No spawning for the last couple and one dissappeard last week. Not sure how old it was when I got it though. So maybe normal cycle.

A healthy population of pods (larger ones in the refugium).

A sea cucumber I got in the fall climbed up into the rocks and was in there moving a very little bit every day for a few months. Disappeared a few weeks ago. No body or anything, just haven't seen it.

A quick system recap, and the GHA issue:

System was set up last summer. 120g DT, ~160g total volume. Started with a mix of dry rock and live rock. At the end of summer added fish, wiped out by ich/velvet. All fish quarantined since and healthy fish in the tank since October or so: Filefish, purple Firefish, starry Blenny and magnificent Foxface.

Refugium with some more live rock, some chaeto that wasn't doing much with a small LED on it. Switched to a MarsHydro before Christmas and it's growing plenty of Chaeto, and lots of GHA. Main tank just has a 90watt Current USA Marine Orbit.

I use Aquaforest Reef Salt and Tropic Marine biocalc. Very very minimal amounts of that as there's not much taking it up.

Have a singularia, gorgonian, and open brain that all seem to be doing well since October - November. Have a small Montipora that is sad (see lights above). Two little zoanthid frags and a Green Star Polyp frag that are all surviving but overtaken by GHA.

No Skimmer, have had Phosminus or GAC off and on.

Salinity is very stable at 1.025. Nitrates and phosphates were negligible whenever I tested them (phosphates 0).

Temp is very stable with a 0.4 degree shift over 24hrs. It was running the Apex temperature table and got as low as 76 before I switched (over a couple of weeks) up to a set 78 degrees (from 77. 7-78.1).

From the fall through January I was overfeeding and not doing regular water changes. The tank looked nice enough, fish and larger corals healthy. Sponges and things around. A spot of GHA here and there that the Blenny and Foxface seemed to enjoy.

The inevitable happened and the GHA spread, fast. After Christmas I cut right back on feeding, did more and larger water changes, and added a sea hare. I also tried a course of Fluconazole. No impact from that (because GHA, not bryopsis).

But the GHA keeps coming back. And the snails keep dying.

Thanks, Tony

Ps, bristle worms also doing well. This one in the refugium:

IMG_20180314_202836.jpg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pics of the algea with white lights

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a wrasse? They like to eat snails and shrimp sometimes. Sometimes hermits kill snails for the snails shell.
Those are few things that come to mind.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small pistol or mantis may go after snails

OP
OP
Tristren

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a wrasse? They like to eat snails and shrimp sometimes. Sometimes hermits kill snails for the snails shell.
Those are few things that come to mind.
No Wrasse. A Foxface, Filefish, Blenny, and a Firefish.

But they seem to gradually get "sick" or weak or something.
The snails are generally too big for any of the hermits to use for shells.

OP
OP
Tristren

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull a few out and look for pyramid snails on them. Also maybe check for flatworms at night. Polyclad flatworms will kill them and they are pretty stealthy
I've examined them and haven't seen anything on them at all.

Have checked for flatworms with a red flashlight. Haven't seen any at least...

OP
OP
Tristren

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to say that the snails are spawning occasionally too.

There are baby snails on the glass every now and then (teeny ones a couple of mm across). And even a couple of "bigger" ones that are 1/4 inch or so.

According to @Paul B they are spawning so must be healthy. Which is good except that they keep dying...

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those may not be snails but limpets or chiton if I spelled correctly. My spell checker is not with me at the moment (wife);Woot

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is that they generally don't go suddenly. They kind of seem to get weaker and weaker (falling over more) until they go.
How do you acclimate them? They are extremely sensitive to water changes

OP
OP
Tristren

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up.
Thanks very much. I really do like the system which is why it's so upsetting to have these ongoing issues. What I enjoy most is the coming together of all the different life in the tank. The balance.
So failing so badly at that is very disheartening.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen snails die like you describe before, years ago; I think it was from eating cyano or some other toxic algae.

As far as your algae problem, I would suggest that you get a decent quality skimmer and set it to working hard to remove all the organic gunk that might be in your water. Also check your nitrate and phosphate measurements for accuracy, maybe with different kits, although even if they still read low, all it may mean is that the algae is using them to grow as fast as they're produced. Third, do you run carbon? If not I would add a small reactor with some high quality carbon, put some in a filter sock, or replace a filter sock with a cup and put it in that. And if there is something in the water that's killing your snails after all, the gac might help with that too.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back