What kills grazing snails, but doesn't harm Nassarius snails, crabs, shrimp, or fish?

OP
OP
Tristren

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen snails die like you describe before, years ago; I think it was from eating cyano or some other toxic algae.

As far as your algae problem, I would suggest that you get a decent quality skimmer and set it to working hard to remove all the organic gunk that might be in your water. Also check your nitrate and phosphate measurements for accuracy, maybe with different kits, although even if they still read low, all it may mean is that the algae is using them to grow as fast as they're produced. Third, do you run carbon? If not I would add a small reactor with some high quality carbon, put some in a filter sock, or replace a filter sock with a cup and put it in that. And if there is something in the water that's killing your snails after all, the gac might help with that too.
Yes, a Skimmer is next on my list I think.
Any suggestions for which one?
I have run carbon off and on. I suppose I was thinking if it was a water borne issue (as opposed to a toxic algae) then other things would be effected. I'll put some fresh GAC in a big and put it back in though.

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with above about the algae. A good toothbrush is what I use when battling hair algae. It takes time but this along with keepin nutrients down and regular water changes will get you in the range for a clean up crew to handle the rest. As far as snails dying, what is your salinity at again? Have you tested the water for Copper or other high levels of metal or anything?

OP
OP
Tristren

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with above about the algae. A good toothbrush is what I use when battling hair algae. It takes time but this along with keepin nutrients down and regular water changes will get you in the range for a clean up crew to handle the rest. As far as snails dying, what is your salinity at again? Have you tested the water for Copper or other high levels of metal or anything?
Yes, I think that will be the solution (I hope) for the algae. But only if I can get my clean up crew to survive.

My salinity is 1.025.
I haven't tested for metals yet, but am going to do an ICP test soon.
Though I would think that if it were something like that then the shrimp and crabs would be impacted as well?

Thanks

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a Skimmer is next on my list I think.
Any suggestions for which one?
Not really, there are so many. Tons of threads here concerning that very question. I use an Eshopps S-200 on each of two 100g tanks. It's the only model I've used since I got back in the hobby, and I've been very happy with the features, which match my needs perfectly. There are skimmers that cost a lot more or a lot less, in-sump vs external, pump in the body of the skimmer or next to it, AC or variable DC, recirculating or not, ozone-compatible or not, etc etc etc. It's dizzying; you just have to figure out what you need for your water volume, stocking level, and placement situation.

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I think that will be the solution (I hope) for the algae. But only if I can get my clean up crew to survive.

My salinity is 1.025.
I haven't tested for metals yet, but am going to do an ICP test soon.
Though I would think that if it were something like that then the shrimp and crabs would be impacted as well?

Thanks

True, I would think hermits and shrimp would also be affected. It wouldn't hurt to rule it out tho. Tank Temp? Like @TheLadyCrash said, different species of snails prefer cooler temps.

Jr'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When snails are taking a hit, I like to run poly filters on the tank. They do a pretty good job of removing some Heavy metals, copper, etc. I’ve had two instances with the same symptoms ran it both times and a couple weeks later everything was back to normal. Worth a shot

Coralville

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you get the snails locally or shipped to you? If you get them shipped reef cleaners has good info about not drip acclimating snails shipped overnight, check their website.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a slow die off of snails . They would last a month then shells up. I started slow drip acclimation, like a couple hours. they have a much better survival rate now.
As for the algae. my tank looked very similar No no3/po4 .I scrubbed & scrubbed then sounds counter intuitive but I started dosing nutrients just a" little bit " this helped,how? I couldn't tell Ya.
Brandon has some interesting ideas. He talks about using peroxide to kill the roots that get into the rock.

OP
OP
Tristren

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When snails are taking a hit, I like to run poly filters on the tank. They do a pretty good job of removing some Heavy metals, copper, etc. I’ve had two instances with the same symptoms ran it both times and a couple weeks later everything was back to normal. Worth a shot
I'll look for those, thanks..

OP
OP
Tristren

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you get the snails locally or shipped to you? If you get them shipped reef cleaners has good info about not drip acclimating snails shipped overnight, check their website.
From the LFS. So not in bags long.
And same LFS that the crabs, shrimp, fish and coral have come from. All of which are ok...

OP
OP
Tristren

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a slow die off of snails . They would last a month then shells up. I started slow drip acclimation, like a couple hours. they have a much better survival rate now.
As for the algae. my tank looked very similar No no3/po4 .I scrubbed & scrubbed then sounds counter intuitive but I started dosing nutrients just a" little bit " this helped,how? I couldn't tell Ya.
Brandon has some interesting ideas. He talks about using peroxide to kill the roots that get into the rock.
Interesting Dosing nutrients how?

Back