What kind if anemone is this? (If it even is one)

Chrisnugent942

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2FEF0D0A-735C-4E83-B9B6-A679465F8545.jpeg

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A regular old condy anemone. I see you're at petco lol. If I remember from my days working there it's like 3 times the price of what it should be.

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t buy this anemone!
This crap will die on you!
Petco seriously needs to stop ordering these!

Also, to bad they didn’t sell those Green Slimmers as it’s the background ;)

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t buy this anemone!
This crap will die on you!
Petco seriously needs to stop ordering these!

Also, to bad they didn’t sell those Green Slimmers as it’s the background ;)
What is wrong with this nem? Are they just weak?

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll bet OP is currently standing in the store trying to ID/research it.
Hopefully He not buying it....
Maybe I'm thinking of a different anemone. One time got small bubble tips and they were close to 100 dollars lol
Yeah, you pay $100 for this and Petco seriously wins. Should be free as a welcome gift.

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is wrong with this nem? Are they just weak?
This anemone can’t survive a tank life. It’s possible to get a few months from it, but why do you think it’s dirt cheap. I’m sure when they get these in the wild it looks Ike the green ones on the Oregon Coast. There’s literally millions of them.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This anemone can’t survive a tank life. It’s possible to get a few months from it, but why do you think it’s dirt cheap. I’m sure when they get these in the wild it looks Ike the green ones on the Oregon Coast. There’s literally millions of them.
I still don't understand how this nem is different from other nems?

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still don't understand how this nem is different from other nems?
Fair question! That could be said and I would say the same! I can’t really answer this because you make a fair point!

Here’s my reasoning:
What I will say is this Condylactis anemone is straight from the ocean. I believe it’s found in shallow waters too close to the Keys, making this very cheap to harvest.
Most of your high end anemones are usually bred in captivity and can handle tank swings that aren’t bad.
You take any anemone straight from the ocean, put it in a massive holding tank, then ship them out as you need too, that’ll be to much stress, then they go to a pet store where the tanks are awful, then home with usually someone new to the saltwater hobby.
This anemone stands zero chance.
The carpet anemone I’m not sure on though.

While I was in Oregon I saw green ones like this mixed with bubble tips. It’s just a green common anemone. This sucker survives in cooler water. If I could get $20 a pop for one, I would’ve taken a few hundred and sold them to local stores. No one there wants them because they all know they die as soon as you put them in a tank.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair question! That could be said and I would say the same! I can’t really answer this because you make a fair point!

Here’s my reasoning:
What I will say is this Condylactis anemone is straight from the ocean. I believe it’s found in shallow waters too close to the Keys, making this very cheap to harvest.
Most of your high end anemones are usually bred in captivity and can handle tank swings that aren’t bad.
You take any anemone straight from the ocean, put it in a massive holding tank, then ship them out as you need too, that’ll be to much stress, then they go to a pet store where the tanks are awful, then home with usually someone new to the saltwater hobby.
This anemone stands zero chance.
The carpet anemone I’m not sure on though.

While I was in Oregon I saw green ones like this mixed with bubble tips. It’s just a green common anemone. This sucker survives in cooler water. If I could get $20 a pop for one, I would’ve taken a few hundred and sold them to local stores. No one there wants them because they all know they die as soon as you put them in a tank.
Ahhhh I see, that makes sense. Thanks for explaining to me. Greatly appreciated.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back