651A74DC-1D8F-4F91-A51E-AB5F2CBB7378.jpeg
4A409C8D-7155-4E99-B17F-788802080C89.jpeg

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to say Dinos. I see bubbles all over the tips of little strings sticking up. I also see them on the rock works. Personal recommendation: add a UV sterilizer. Knocked mine out in 48 hrs. There may be a bit of cyano in there as well.
What are your no3 and po4 readings? Mine occurred when I bottomed out at 0 for both. UV and feeding heavier were my final fix after trying so many other things.

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If do go the UV route, just use a baster and blow the rocks out at lights out. That’ll put them into the column to be knocked out by the sterilizer.
Question as well, do they seem to be gone in the am then come back the longer the light has been on?

OP
OP
BlakeM15

BlakeM15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If do go the UV route, just use a baster and blow the rocks out at lights out. That’ll put them into the column to be knocked out by the sterilizer.
Question as well, do they seem to be gone in the am then come back the longer the light has been on?
I have no clue this is the first time I’ve been home in 5 days and it was like this , my nitrate is reading .25ppm from the Red Sea test kit and my phosphate is reading 1.0 ppm from api test kit (not sure if it’s accurate) what would you recommend to do about this

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d check at lights out in the am to confirm Dino. If the slime seems to be gone and get worse through the day with more bubbles (very unscientific way to assess) Probably Dino. The po4 seems a good bit high to me (although I’m one to judge because I never test mine, lol) If that po4 is accurate, id recommend finding the source. Rodi water for top off?
A microscope is a sure shot way to confirm Dino vs cyano. But the air bubbles lead me to believe Dino.
If cyano, I recommend on personal experience, chemiclean. If Dino, there are different ways to treat, but I had 100% success and no return running a UV sterilizer.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a UV/canister filter set up that was temporary. I had a canister filter that was in storage and hooked up the UV to it with just a little filter floss in one of the baskets. I would set it up after lights out and use the turkey baster to blow off dinos from the rocks to get them in the water column. I also adjusted one of the PH's to cause more flow to the intake of the UV.
Since the dinos are in the free swimming stage at night I only used this set up at night and not during the day. I put the intake in the tank, the water would flow through the UV first then through the canister filter that would trap the dinos in the filter floss and then from there it would exit into the filter sock. Every day I would change out the filter floss and sock.
I did this for a couple of weeks until most of the dinos were gone and continued another two weeks until there was no sign of them.
During all of this I also raised the nutrients from 0 which caused the dinos in the first place. The dinos were so bad that it wiped out three sps colonies I had and would have gotten more if it wasn't for the UV/canister set up. This set up can be installed and taken down in minutes, glad I didn't sell them when I was cleaning out some stuff I had lying around.

OP
OP
BlakeM15

BlakeM15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a UV/canister filter set up that was temporary. I had a canister filter that was in storage and hooked up the UV to it with just a little filter floss in one of the baskets. I would set it up after lights out and use the turkey baster to blow off dinos from the rocks to get them in the water column. I also adjusted one of the PH's to cause more flow to the intake of the UV.
Since the dinos are in the free swimming stage at night I only used this set up at night and not during the day. I put the intake in the tank, the water would flow through the UV first then through the canister filter that would trap the dinos in the filter floss and then from there it would exit into the filter sock. Every day I would change out the filter floss and sock.
I did this for a couple of weeks until most of the dinos were gone and continued another two weeks until there was no sign of them.
During all of this I also raised the nutrients from 0 which caused the dinos in the first place. The dinos were so bad that it wiped out three sps colonies I had and would have gotten more if it wasn't for the UV/canister set up. This set up can be installed and taken down in minutes, glad I didn't sell them when I was cleaning out some stuff I had lying around.
I attempted a water change to suck up as much as I can of whatever the algae is (dyno or cyno) and plan on feeding a bit heavier and getting a wrasse to add to the livestock, probably doesn’t help that I got a skimmer and Macroalgae in the tank sucking in nutrients I thought it would help ;Drowning

Fishies2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to say Dinos. I see bubbles all over the tips of little strings sticking up. I also see them on the rock works. Personal recommendation: add a UV sterilizer. Knocked mine out in 48 hrs. There may be a bit of cyano in there as well.
What are your no3 and po4 readings? Mine occurred when I bottomed out at 0 for both. UV and feeding heavier were my final fix after trying so many other things.

Hello, do you think you could help me identify what this is? Just popped up in my tank a day ago (orange color)

B929FA09-4D7F-47FE-86F5-045E061A2AA5.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Dino and do Not use any nopox or red slime remover which is fuel for dino.
Uv is great if you have one.
Otherwise siphon well. Lower lights to near dark setting ir turn lights iff completely for 3-4 days. Add 1ml if hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons at night . You will see this stuff quickly dissipate.
Loosen it up towards overflow each day with a turkey baster

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 37.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back