What kind of Algae is this? How to treat?

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

My tank is about 3 weeks old now with 40lbs of live rock and also live sand. Have 2 damsels in tank, 2 turbos, 2 Nassarius Snails, 1 Sand Sifting star.

Any idea why I'm getting green algae, on best way to treat.

PXL_20221024_155614197.jpg PXL_20221024_155609416.jpg PXL_20221024_155618820.jpg

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures are required. "green" algae comes in many species. Odds are you have diatoms, turn on white light only, they should appear a more brown color than green. You dont need to "treat" every type of algae you will go through. You are entering the "ugly" phase.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's supposed to happen. Also it's going to get a lot worse. It's all normal and don't freak out over getting rid of it. Remove excess by hand, manage parameters, have proper clean up crew. That's all there is to it. Nothing more is needed.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having no algae at all would be a much larger issue than this. The ugly phase comes for everyone who uses dry rock.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello All,

My tank is about 3 weeks old now with 40lbs of live rock and also live sand. Have 2 damsels in tank, 2 turbos, 2 Nassarius Snails, 1 Sand Sifting star.

Any idea why I'm getting green algae, on best way to treat.

PXL_20221024_155614197.jpg PXL_20221024_155609416.jpg PXL_20221024_155618820.jpg
Cant say its supposed to happen but capable of. Its green film algae and often associated with bright light and inorganics.
While of no harm, many desire it not be present. If this is your case:

- Reduce white light Intensity or amount of hours of white lighting
- Assure phosphate levels are not elevated
- Add snails such as : Astrea, turbo grazer, cerith, nerite and nassarius

Other causes are :
Tank at or near a window
Using tap water from faucet rather that RODI water
overfeeding

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant say its supposed to happen but capable of. Its green film algae and often associated with bright light and inorganics.

Other causes are :
Tank at or near a window
overfeeding
Going from white rock to Coraline would be something I'd like to see. Just trying to prevent new people from thinking every shade the rocks turn warrants a post and a course of action. While time and simple management are just as effective

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going from white rock to Coraline would be something I'd like to see. Just trying to prevent new people from thinking every shade the rocks turn warrants a post and a course of action. While time and simple management are just as effective
I actually went from dry rock to coraline........never had any algae at all. Current tank has been set up for over a year now. I did dose a ton of bacteria daily for roughly 3 months and had a substantial CUC from the beginning.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually went from dry rock to coraline........never had any algae at all. Current tank has been set up for over a year now. I did dose a ton of bacteria daily for roughly 3 months and had a substantial CUC from the beginning.
Agreed there are always exceptions to the rule. This isn't the case with people new to the hobby though. Hence why vibrant and algae fix are still profitable.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed there are always exceptions to the rule. This isn't the case with people new to the hobby though. Hence why vibrant and algae fix are still profitable.
+1, an outlier for sure, but congrats on going from white to purple with no green in between.

OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having no algae at all would be a much larger issue than this. The ugly phase comes for everyone who uses dry rock.
So this happens even though I used fresh live rock? How long will it last? Do I need to turn light intensity down or keep it the way I have it?

OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really don't want a sand sifting star in a new tank. There is little microfauna at all in new tank sand so that creature is starving to death.
I've had the startl in for about 2 weeks now and it has grown a little and all over the place. I saw it this morning sucking the green algae on the glass and then went back under the sand. Seems to be doing ok.

OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Other causes are :
Tank at or near a window
overfeeding
Use tap water instead of RO/DI? Really? Why if I can ask? Thanks!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this happens even though I used fresh live rock? How long will it last? Do I need to turn light intensity down or keep it the way I have it?
Diatoms go away on their own in a few weeks when the silicate in your sand is used but buckle up because various ugly phases occur mostly during the first year a tanknis up and running.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the startl in for about 2 weeks now and it has grown a little and all over the place. I saw it this morning sucking the green algae on the glass and then went back under the sand. Seems to be doing ok.
Although they are omnivores they eat primarily detritus in the sand bed. They require a very well established tank to survive and even then are considered difficult animals to sustain.

OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures are required. "green" algae comes in many species. Odds are you have diatoms, turn on white light only, they should appear a more brown color than green. You dont need to "treat" every type of algae you will go through. You are entering the "ugly" phase.
I posted pics do you not see them?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Use tap water instead of RO/DI? Really? Why if I can ask? Thanks!
You didnt read correctly- Using tap instead of RODI can cause this due tto phosphares

Back