What kind of algae is this?

JasTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this was just part of new tank syndrome but this algae is not letting up. New to saltwater tanks, but my tank has been running for 5 months after the initial cycle. Any suggestions?

D1A69742-2AE3-4857-801A-45E2B90C8C8B.jpeg ACD0DB37-BC1B-4C19-955D-9E1852556AF4.jpeg DC32C7AD-0C07-49AC-A53B-2C144D6D3A41.jpeg 5B8ED397-DE4D-4076-B2B2-CE7032D235CD.jpeg 669D1CEF-D075-4EE9-A61E-68F4830BFCD2.jpeg B7B570F7-B8F9-4B62-9E33-FD98C7F1D76A.jpeg

OP
OP
J

JasTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already had a horrible diatom phase, next was cyano and gha, I got rid of cyano by increasing the flow in the tank and then I had some real long gha appear which eventually died back by itself, and now I have this just thick, loose green crap that is smothering some of my corals. I read no phosphates or nitrates. Do a 20% w/c bi weekly.

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do your no3 and po4 look like? Is this a small tank? If a larger tank, get your nutrients under control, pluck out what you can, and get a clean up crew in there.

OP
OP
J

JasTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do your no3 and po4 look like? Is this a small tank? If a larger tank, get your nutrients under control, pluck out what you can, and get a clean up crew in there.
I read 0 phosphate and maybe 5 nitrate, it doesn’t even show up on either of my test kits. It’s a 75g, I have plucked and plucked and it comes back very quickly. I have mixed snails hermits, my recently added tang.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read 0 phosphate and maybe 5 nitrate, it doesn’t even show up on either of my test kits. It’s a 75g, I have plucked and plucked and it comes back very quickly. I have mixed snails hermits, my recently added tang.
I think the algae is consuming all phosphate and nitrate making it seem at 0. I would buy some turbo snails, hermit crabs , emerald crab to help beat the algae. You can also buy a sea hare but have a plan to rehome once the algae is gone

OP
OP
J

JasTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the algae is consuming all phosphate and nitrate making it seem at 0. I would buy some turbo snails, hermit crabs , emerald crab to help beat the algae. You can also buy a sea hare but have a plan to rehome once the algae is gone
Don’t emerald crabs eat fish? I was already thinking of getting one but a lot of people say they will attack fish. I do plan on adding a bunch more of snails n more hermits. I don’t want to add anything to tank that won’t be happy n content in the tank or keep the peace. The only fish in the tank are 2 clowns, a engineer goby and a recently added blue eyed bristletooth tang.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t emerald crabs eat fish? I was already thinking of getting one but a lot of people say they will attack fish. I do plan on adding a bunch more of snails n more hermits. I don’t want to add anything to tank that won’t be happy n content in the tank or keep the peace. The only fish in the tank are 2 clowns, a engineer goby and a recently added blue eyed bristletooth tang.
I have 5 emerald crabs in a 40g and they have never been anything but peaceful. Just eat algae all day

OP
OP
J

JasTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 emerald crabs in a 40g and they have never been anything but peaceful. Just eat algae all day
Hm. Maybe I’ll give it a go, I don’t plan on heavily stocking so it would have plenty of room to wander too.

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned, your nutrients are low because the algae is consuming it all. It's hit or miss with emerald crabs. I would seriously up the clean crew to to stupid levels, and maybe get a few fish that eat algae in there. Pluck and trim it weekly. It's going to take a while to get it down.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would adding a hob refugium help outcompete the bryopsis?
Yes it would, the big thing you want to focus on is lowering phosphates and nitrates. A fuge would do that, so would water changes. Their are many ways to manage nutrients, only you can decide which fits your needs best. But we can help inform you on how each works

OP
OP
J

JasTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned, your nutrients are low because the algae is consuming it all. It's hit or miss with emerald crabs. I would seriously up the clean crew to to stupid levels, and maybe get a few fish that eat algae in there. Pluck and trim it weekly. It's going to take a while to get it down.
Will be getting a bunch today? Is there certain snails that love this algae? I was thinking of adding a blenny to help as well which I’ve been wanting anyway. N will start doing 20% water changes weekly pluck and pull out as much as I can.

OP
OP
J

JasTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it would, the big thing you want to focus on is lowering phosphates and nitrates. A fuge would do that, so would water changes. Their are many ways to manage nutrients, only you can decide which fits your needs best. But we can help inform you on how each works
I already have some red ogo I was adding to the main display to help with the algae a bit before my tang decides it tastes good while I figure out how I want to do a refugium. I’m thinking a hob but I also think maybe just as algae scrubber instead, i don’t know much about algae scrubbers though.

OP
OP
J

JasTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it’s possible to take the lid off the top of my hob filter and grow chaeto ontop?

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it’s possible to take the lid off the top of my hob filter and grow chaeto ontop?
The chaeto might grow weird in there, stringy instead of a compact ball because of the flow pattern in your hob. The Algae turf scrubber or ATS works by growing micro algae similar to bryopsis but instead the goal is to grow Green Hair Algae or GHA.

OP
OP
J

JasTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chaeto might grow weird in there, stringy instead of a compact ball because of the flow pattern in your hob. The Algae turf scrubber or ATS works by growing micro algae similar to bryopsis but instead the goal is to grow Green Hair Algae or GHA.
Is there a different kind of macro that could work better ontop?

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a different kind of macro that could work better ontop?
Yes but cheato is a powerhouse in comparison. There are many macros that are appealing in a reef display. If you decide on this route, I would find a type that looks appealing to me and place it directly in the display, if you don’t have tangs to bother them.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back