OP
OP
J

JasTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes the tank is actually a mess bc I keep pulling rocks out and just setting them back in wherever.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is looking better! I wonder if the macro dying had anything to do with the vibrant. They say vibrant does not effect macros but I don’t know what else would have done it. The peroxide will do work so that’s good it’s helping you. The phosphate is a little high, maybe try some chemi pure blue to help knock them down. Remember to keep your magnesium and calcium in check to get that coralline going!

OP
OP
J

JasTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is looking better! I wonder if the macro dying had anything to do with the vibrant. They say vibrant does not effect macros but I don’t know what else would have done it. The peroxide will do work so that’s good it’s helping you. The phosphate is a little high, maybe try some chemi pure blue to help knock them down. Remember to keep your magnesium and calcium in check to get that coralline going!
Macro died way before I started dosing vibrant. Almost instantly after putting it in the tank, a few days. Unsure why. N that’s an api result which I’m not trusting recently I did add chemipure elite the other day, my last test said 0-.25 on the phosphate since adding the chemipure. Without it I’m sure it would be .5 still. I actually stole 2 more bottles of peroxide from work it kills everything on the rock, and actually saved my montipora with a quick dip. The vibrant only being used once a week in the tank made the water clearer and makes the algae on the rocks I haven’t peroxided easier to pull out.

OP
OP
J

JasTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also did start dosing phyto every few days, about 15ml. Feeding a little bit less, 1big meal of frozen and a meal of pellets. My protein skimmer has been fixed and now works 24/7.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also did start dosing phyto every few days, about 15ml. Feeding a little bit less, 1big meal of frozen and a meal of pellets. My protein skimmer has been fixed and now works 24/7.
The phyto will add phosphates. Sounds like the vibrant is doing a great job, good to know it’s not the macro killer

OP
OP
J

JasTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm I was unaware, the phyto is live? I thought it fed the corals and ate algae. And yeah not in this case, I’m sure it would though. The vibrant does help, but honestly the peroxide is doing most of the work. This rock I picked at for 3 days as much as I could and then peroxide treatment, it looks like a brand new grey rock lol with a tint of purple and a few small strands of algae.
image.jpg

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm I was unaware, the phyto is live? I thought it fed the corals and ate algae. And yeah not in this case, I’m sure it would though. The vibrant does help, but honestly the peroxide is doing most of the work. This rock I picked at for 3 days as much as I could and then peroxide treatment, it looks like a brand new grey rock lol with a tint of purple and a few small strands of algae.
image.jpg
Yea I used phyto the same way before. I noticed my corals were getting unhappy and then tested phosphates, they shot up to .4 instead of .05-.1 where I try to keep it. That rock looks great btw

OP
OP
J

JasTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I used phyto the same way before. I noticed my corals were getting unhappy and then tested phosphates, they shot up to .4 instead of .05-.1 where I try to keep it. That rock looks great btw
Hm, well I guess I’ll finish off the last bag of phyto I have n then maybe wait a while down the road and once I get myself Hannah checkers for all these things for more accurate results I’ll try again and be able to manage it better after I’m done fighting this algae. N yeah, that’s the first rock I did, I did that one twice though. I did 1 a few days after which still have algae dying off on it, 2 on Saturday that are still dying off, and then I just did 2 about an hour ago. Monday is water change day so tomorrow I will probably try and get some peroxide on the back wall somehow to help with the thick Matt of algae. Whatever kind of algae this is peroxide takes care of it without any kind of issue. Is .5-.1 a good range for phosphate? I was under the impression .2 - .3 was pretty good. (I plan on mainly having lps and softies, I have a couple montipora and a I recently lost my first acro I impulse bought before knowing how difficult they were. )

OP
OP
J

JasTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also not a big fan of chasing numbers so before recently I haven’t cared much, fighting algae I have just been watching my ph, Alk, phosphate and nitrate. Normally I only ever checked ph and alk.

OP
OP
J

JasTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NowGlazeIT
Thought you’d like to see again.
what little algae that’s left is slowly going away, I’m about to order a large cuc from reef cleaners here around next weekend to be delivered right after I aquascape. Some corals are struggling, my gonipora is much happier though. Do believe the peroxide killed my lepto but he could still make a come back. Frankly the tank isn’t old enough for the sps but I gave it a shot when they was on sale. And my macro red ogo did actually surprise me and a small piece that I missed when I was pulling it out of the tank happened to grow and form a nice little patch in the back. Thx for your help ☺️

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
J

JasTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NowGlazeIT
Hey! So my tank is looking way better! I took some pictures for you. But now it seems I have a little bit of a cyano outbreak. Any tips for this type of algae? It seems t have just sprouted the pictures are cloudy bc I moved all my corals back to their homes for the time being minus my one dead acro I’ve just left it where it is in case somehow it decides to come back to me from a last limb. But yeah, you can’t see the cyano in the pictures bc I cleaned it up a bit n made a sand storm on accident.

Attachments

• 1DEC919D-E40F-4A61-A5AE-3A07667CF50D.jpeg
    1DEC919D-E40F-4A61-A5AE-3A07667CF50D.jpeg
    298.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 8C7A2731-A2B4-45CB-BB91-FE59F657B95B.jpeg
    8C7A2731-A2B4-45CB-BB91-FE59F657B95B.jpeg
    336.3 KB · Views: 15
  • BEE65E0E-CD52-411A-A1C9-24102D7F23D0.jpeg
    BEE65E0E-CD52-411A-A1C9-24102D7F23D0.jpeg
    344.3 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
J

JasTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have yet to reaquascape as I’m still figuring out odds n ends. Need to buy buckets to allow for a larger water change than just 10%.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to see the tank coming along well. I normally dose MicroBacter7 to get rid of cyano, seems to work well after about 1-2 weeks of small dosing.

OP
OP
J

JasTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to see the tank coming along well. I normally dose MicroBacter7 to get rid of cyano, seems to work well after about 1-2 weeks of small dosing.
Isn’t that just bacteria? If that’s the case wouldn’t the bacteria already in the tank take care of the cyano? I do think the cyano is just from the vibrant. And does cyano usually have bubbles? I think this might actually be dinos.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn’t that just bacteria? If that’s the case wouldn’t the bacteria already in the tank take care of the cyano? I do think the cyano is just from the vibrant. And does cyano usually have bubbles? I think this might actually be dinos.
Cyano is bacteria and Sometimes our tanks need replenishment of certain bacteria strains. The bubbles at the tips indicate dinos. There’s a good Dino thread with details on how to identify your strain and combat it

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having trouble finding the Dino thread. But if you type in the words Dino ID in the R2R search, you’ll find tons of pictures ands IDs to see what strain you have

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%

Back