What kind of algae?

fishnsoldier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a recent explosion of this algae (please see photos). one of the pics is my GSP, and the other is of a turbo snail believe it or not. I tested Phosphates and they are around 0ppm ( my test kit is only in .25 ppm increments currently. I try not to overfeed, weekly water changes etc. its in a 5 gal pico, with a Fluval Nano Marine light. Inhabitants are 1 tiny fire fish, 2 small hermits, 2 nass snails, and 1 turbo. I use RODI water for topoffs and salt mix... I'm using a recommended schedule for the light (slowly ramps up), but not sure if I have two much of a light schedule.
IMG_3134.jpg
IMG_3135 2.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s bryopsis and an aggressive type to deal with
Ultimately, you want to pull as much as possible by hand and then remove the roots with either a dental pick or sm crochet needle.
Reduce or turn off white light intensity for about 6 days. Few cleaner crew will tough this

OP
OP
fishnsoldier

fishnsoldier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s bryopsis and an aggressive type to deal with
Ultimately, you want to pull as much as possible by hand and then remove the roots with either a dental pick or sm crochet needle.
Reduce or turn off white light intensity for about 6 days. Few cleaner crew will tough this
I do not think it is bryopsis, it doesn't have the fern like branches. I scrubbed it off the snail in a separate container of salt water to try an eliminate any spread? It has been 20+ years since I have had saltwater aquariums. But I'm thinking hair algae? I did cut the white light out of schedule and reduced period by a few hours. Hopefully that works. Thanks for the input.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I do not think it is bryopsis, it doesn't have the fern like branches. I scrubbed it off the snail in a separate container of salt water to try an eliminate any spread? It has been 20+ years since I have had saltwater aquariums. But I'm thinking hair algae? I did cut the white light out of schedule and reduced period by a few hours. Hopefully that works. Thanks for the input.
There are over 900 types of bryopsis with 3 most common. Fern is not always a trait as is the stem and root structure

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For Local control , 3%peroxide, Walmart may be helpful. You need to get the rock out of the water and apply few ml for a minute or so. No guarantees, but I have done this with SPS with no ill effects. Try not to carry over too much peroxide into the display. Snails, you can usually cover the hole with your thump while cleaning and rinsing.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back