what kind of algae?

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as of a week ago, my tank was clean, and clear of any kind of algaes. i was battling, what i would believe to be dinos, or a really bad case of diatoms. when i turkey basted them, they tended to come off in large amounts, kinda like peeling a skin off, so it was likely a form of dinos.
from the start of this tank, ive been low nutrients. from the point that i started cycling to now, the phosphate has been 0, and nitrates are at 7ish. and thats over-estimating.
since i want to start moving my zoas and other corals over, ive been looking to increase phosphates a bit. so the day before all of this started to become noticeable, i got some neophos and neonitro, and dosed. perhaps this is just a coincidence, but i figured i would mention this, since i am adding nutrients that would also feed algae. the next day or so is when i took note of this newer algae.
this new algae isnt like the previous issue i had. i cant blow it off with a baster. it looks like a hair algae, except its brown. i dont see that it is creating air bubbles. so, with this, i dont think its diatoms. its actually attached so well that i have to use a toothbrush to scrub it off, if i want to remove it.
with that, and the pictures that i was able to get, which arent the greatest, what are your thoughts?
should i keep dosing phosphates/nitrates. i would believe that this is the cause of it all, but i am trying to do it so that my corals do have something to feed on, but would be willing to stop if it would eliminate the algae issue.

20220120_135030.jpg
20220120_135106.jpg
20220120_142118.jpg
20220120_135030.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as of a week ago, my tank was clean, and clear of any kind of algaes. i was battling, what i would believe to be dinos, or a really bad case of diatoms. when i turkey basted them, they tended to come off in large amounts, kinda like peeling a skin off, so it was likely a form of dinos.
from the start of this tank, ive been low nutrients. from the point that i started cycling to now, the phosphate has been 0, and nitrates are at 7ish. and thats over-estimating.
since i want to start moving my zoas and other corals over, ive been looking to increase phosphates a bit. so the day before all of this started to become noticeable, i got some neophos and neonitro, and dosed. perhaps this is just a coincidence, but i figured i would mention this, since i am adding nutrients that would also feed algae. the next day or so is when i took note of this newer algae.
this new algae isnt like the previous issue i had. i cant blow it off with a baster. it looks like a hair algae, except its brown. i dont see that it is creating air bubbles. so, with this, i dont think its diatoms. its actually attached so well that i have to use a toothbrush to scrub it off, if i want to remove it.
with that, and the pictures that i was able to get, which arent the greatest, what are your thoughts?
should i keep dosing phosphates/nitrates. i would believe that this is the cause of it all, but i am trying to do it so that my corals do have something to feed on, but would be willing to stop if it would eliminate the algae issue.

20220120_135030.jpg
20220120_135106.jpg
20220120_142118.jpg
20220120_135030.jpg
Can you get any other photos? Maybe grab a pot and try put some in there then take a photo of the pot under white light??

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get any other photos? Maybe grab a pot and try put some in there then take a photo of the pot under white light??
You're not going to get any better than what you see in the picture already, but just to go along with it, here you go. i used tweezers to get that off

20220120_153606.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back