What kind of anemone is this

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. The bulb of the BTA is just below the tip given the appearance if a nipple, while the bulb of the Magnifica i at the tip. However, there are times when neither species have bulbs. Looking at the tentacles in your picture, there are a few minor swelling of the some of the tentacles, all of them have swelling below the tip, C/W BTA.
2. Mouth of Magnifica protrude form a nipple appearance most of the time, while mouth of the BTA does not. This is not 100% reliable, but fairly reliable.
3. More important, almost 100% reliable, are the white lines radiated from the mouth. Because of poor health, these lines faded a lot but they are still there. This is the most reliable characteristic that differentiated BTA and Magnifica IME. You can see two of these radial lines at 11 o'clock position and one at the 7 o'clock position of the mouth of your anemone.

Due to the three reasons above, I am 100% certain that your anemone is a BTA, not a Magnifica. BTA are much hardier and should not need treatment. If this is a Magnifica, you most likley need treatment if you want it to live. Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zagecko

Zagecko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well whatever anemone this is my clownfish loves it
20201127_230245.jpg

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a person that have both anemones, @OrionN is absolutely is correct. Please see the different in the tips

Magnificent Anemone:
1606935099526.png

Bubble Tip:

1606935131879.png

Last edited:

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So at 6th ave they go to the ocean every Sunday to collect strictly fish,eels,sharks,rays,anemones,andjellies
I was just re-reading this thread and saw this. Were you in the SF Bay Area and stopped by 6th Ave. Aquarium on Clement?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back