Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a magnificent sea anemone but it doesn't have a colored foot...
You said this was collected in SF right? Magnificent sea anemones are from the Indo-Pacific and don't go further east than Samoa.

OP
OP
Zagecko

Zagecko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said this was collected in SF right? Magnificent sea anemones are from the Indo-Pacific and don't go further east than Samoa.
I bought it from sf, it wasn't caught there, the guy there catches stuff from Indonesia and a few other places such as Hawaii I think

OP
OP
Zagecko

Zagecko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was from sf it would have died because my tank is like 77 degrees and the water in sf is like 64 degrees

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought it from sf, it wasn't caught there, the guy there catches stuff from Indonesia and a few other places such as Hawaii I think
It's probably Heteractis magnifica then. They're pretty common and can get the "swollen tip" look.

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was from sf it would have died because my tank is like 77 degrees and the water in sf is like 64 degrees
Yeah I was thinking it was weird you said it was tropical if it was caught in SF but I wasn't sure what you meant lol. Makes sense now tho

OP
OP
Zagecko

Zagecko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me explain, I purchased an anemone that was supposedly a bubble tip, once
It's probably Heteractis magnifica then. They're pretty common and can get the "swollen tip" look.

Yeah I was thinking it was weird you said it was tropical if it was caught in SF but I wasn't sure what you meant lol. Makes sense now tho

Yeah I was thinking it was weird you said it was tropical if it was caught in SF but I wasn't sure what you meant lol.

OP
OP
Zagecko

Zagecko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do I do with a magnificent sea anemone? I don't know how to take care of one, my tank is only 10 gallons, my light isn't that good, what do I do when it outgrows my tank???

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do I do with a magnificent sea anemone? I don't know how to take care of one, my tank is only 10 gallons, my light isn't that good, what do I do when it outgrows my tank???

You care for it by getting a larger tank and a good light.

If you can not meet it’s basic needs then you should return it.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this condition, the only way to tell if it is a BTA or a Magnifica is a good clear picture of the mouth. If you can provide that I can tell you for certain which species it is. other wise 75% possibility BTA and 25% Magnifica.
If it completely deflated after in your tank for a few day, prepare to treat it with antibiotic or you will have very high chance of loosing it.
Good luck

OP
OP
Zagecko

Zagecko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this condition, the only way to tell if it is a BTA or a Magnifica is a good clear picture of the mouth. If you can provide that I can tell you for certain which species it is. other wise 75% possibility BTA and 25% Magnifica.
If it completely deflated after in your tank for a few day, prepare to treat it with antibiotic or you will have very high chance of loosing it.
Good luck
Gotcha
20201126_121821.jpg

OP
OP
Zagecko

Zagecko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck
Any idea what it is? I just posted another pic, I'm pretty happy with it, the anemone looks green in person, accepted brine, and has quadrupled in size[inflated]

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what it is? I just posted another pic, I'm pretty happy with it, the anemone looks green in person, accepted brine, and has quadrupled in size[inflated]
It is a BTA

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back