OP
Y

yeon.joon.hong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
black snowflakes are not born black. They change colors as adults. So they won’t stay this color.

They will turn black.
their patterns are splotchy unliek the red i attached multiple times in this thread
1629784786663.png

OP
OP
Y

yeon.joon.hong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is, black ocellaris don't start out black. They start out other colors, which can be influenced by their diet.

I looked up "BRS160 clownfish", and I found this Instagram post by BRS. It shows BRS160 eggs being tended by the parents, which are black.

Sadly, it doesn't appear that red adult clownfish are a thing. Blood orange clowns are pretty close, though, and you could feed them a food that might bring out the red a bit more.

....................................................................................................................................... well.... f#%! sigh i am sad those looked so cool they were red too ;~;

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was starting to think that you were a troll.

As previously stated, and I'll say it again since it seems like it needs to set in, percula and ocellaris all start out as orange (not red!) fish that gradually change into their adult coloration.

Other species of clownfish go through interesting changes as well: tomato clowns have two stripes, then lose one as they get older, and lighning maroon clowns start out as red with a lot of white, then the white slowly starts to dissipate revealing the webbed look of an adult lightning clown.

Did you wonder why you couldn't find any red percula or ocellaris? I assumed you know that they changed colors as they matured!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You're right, the babies in the picture don't have a wiggly pattern like a black snowflake. They appear to be something similar to a black snowflake, but not quite the same.

Maybe somebody will breed some properly red adult ones in the future. It is a nice color.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....................................................................................................................................... well.... f#%! sigh i am sad those looked so cool they were red too ;~;

The closest to redish I know of is a hybrid. The Mai Tai clown. They do darken a bit across the back. It is best to pick them out in person as They seem to vary in color a bit.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back