What kind of containers are good for mixing SW?

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm about 2 weeks from leak testing my 75 again and realized I don't have anything to mix the SW in. In the past I just used a 5 gallon bucket and a paint mixer to do the trick. This time around I want to have some premixed water on hand for water changes - so I'm not lugging 5 gallon bucks all over creation.

I've read of people using large trash cans (rubber maid maybe?) but that they can get an odor to them if water is held in them very long. I have asthma and am really sensitive to odors, so that's out. Anyone know of something else that's inexpensive and can be used safely?

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still use the food safe orange 5-gallon ones from Home Depot, but I've ready of many who use the 20-gallon brutes.
Not really listed as so, but they do sell white ones that are. @kdx7214 Things that are hdpe plastic are mostly good. The large garbage cans are that, the large storage takes are that, the hd buckets are. Really a pretty resistant plastic to seawater, and others. Makes it a good choice all around.

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Brute trash cans. Have 3 32 gallons since the 44’s were out of stock when I purchased. After filling the tank initially, 1 is salt, 1 is RODI, 3rd is water change waste when needed. Love having the Brutes on the casters for easy movement.

Love that with a little prep I can make enough saltwater to do close to a 100% water change if there was a need.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyethylene, low density pe, and high density pe are are similar. The higher in density you go it has more chemical crosslinks. Making its chemical resistance, and other properties different. Generally all are good for this use except against strong oxidizers.

Adrift

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use brute trash cans 45 gallons x2 have the float set to 25 gallons so I can use their trolly and it doesn’t exceed the weight.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really listed as so, but they do sell white ones that are. @kdx7214 Things that are hdpe plastic are mostly good. The large garbage cans are that, the large storage takes are that, the hd buckets are. Really a pretty resistant plastic to seawater, and others. Makes it a good choice all around.
The orange ones are food safe as well - you're just not paying the "food safe" premium (look up the manufacturer of the pails and you'll see).

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All brute trash cans are "food safe". They have to pay to get that certification, thats why not all of them are NFS certified. But they are all actually food safe, as all are made from the same plastics.

I've even emailed rubbermaid when I had this question many years ago, and thats what I was told in the email. I emailed them about an ACE brand trash can that was made by rubbermaid, and was told that if it was made by rubbermaid, then it has the same plastic.

Been using the ACE brand rubbermaid trash can for years with 0 issues. I also have several brutes in many different colors that I've also had 0 issues with.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for the Brutes...

I have several that I employ in my water setup.

1 32 for fresh RO water.
1 20g for fresh RO water at tank temp.
1 32 for prepared SW at tank temp
and finally, 1 20 for wastewater

The last 2 are on wheels for ease of movement. ALL of them except the waste one have a powerhead or pump in them to keep the water moving and avoid stagnation. The 32 that I mix salt is has a VERY high flow rate pump that does an extremely efficient job of mixing the salt (That bucket is churning bigtime). The heated cans are all using identical Top-Fin digital heaters set at the same temp as my tanks.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a mixing station in the basement with 44g brute. Prior to,that was using an old 30g cooler.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back