What Kind of Copepods do Mandarins Eat?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tigriopus and Tisbe are two copepod species that make up a nutritious diet for mandarins. Tigriopis californicus, also known as Tig pods, is a very tough pod. They have been observed living in the most hostile intertidal zones. Tig pods are resistant to changes in pH, temperature, salinity, and dissolved oxygen levels. They are also one of the biggest players in the reef tank clean-up crew. Also, they are big time pod-pop boosters. A single female Tig pod can lay hundreds of eggs!

Tisbe biminiensis, or Tisbe pods, also develop as larvae in the water column. Tisbe and Tig pods will settle into the rockwork and sand when they approach the adult phases of their life cycle. Tisbe pods are also excellent breeders. Females start to lay eggs in the first 10 days of their lives. They only live for a few weeks. However, a female Tisbe pod can produce eight or nine broods in her life cycle.

Mandarins will adapt to captive life more easily if pod colonies have been established in the reef tank system. But the pods must come from somewhere! Back in the early days of the hobby, pods usually hitched their way into the reef tank on coral or live rock. But thankfully, we have come a long way since then! Adding pods to the reef tank couldn’t be easier today.

We have a lot of pods here at AlgaeBarn. And we even have blends of pods that we selected with mandarins in mind. Our Ecopods and Galaxy Pods blends are ideal for seeding a new refugium.

Read more here: https://www.algaebarn.com/blog/captive-bred-fish/copepods-for-mandarin-goby/

shutterstock_35665732-300x236.jpeg

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm already looking forward to picking some of those and some gracilaria up for my new build :3 Gonna try using the gracilaria instead of chaeto, so I can make my own tang snacks.

OP
OP
AlgaeBarn

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm already looking forward to picking some of those and some gracilaria up for my new build :3 Gonna try using the gracilaria instead of chaeto, so I can make my own tang snacks.
Yes! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Love hearing about using macroalgae growth for free fish food! -Raven

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back