What kind of coral is this?

Reefer9871

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of coral is this? The whole thing was the dark purple color but it recently started to lose tissue. It was attached behind another coral I purchased about 6 months ago. Today I noticed it has lost tissue and not it’s normal deep purple color. I don’t know what to do because I have no idea what kind of coral it is. I assumed it was some kind of sponge by the circular holes it exhibits. Any help is appreciated.

B484F013-14DE-48E9-97BB-EFC690AC10D3.jpeg 36148539-9759-4767-B39F-5079719B236E.png B3056D83-DFE7-4E55-AA9E-7C0D678792E4.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefer9871

Reefer9871

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is actually a sponge! A nice one too. Place it somewhere dark and with moderate flow and it should spread onto the rock. Nice filterfeeders and great biodiversity.
Any idea why it is losing tissue? Maybe because of my Kessil light? It has been in the same spot for over 6 months with no issue but when you said “move it to a dark spot” it kinda made me wonder if that could be why it’s losing tissue. All my water parameters look good so I’m just not sure what action to take, if any. I want to try to save it if possible but I definitely don’t want to throw everything else off in the process.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Reefer9871

Reefer9871

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea why it is losing tissue? Maybe because of my Kessil light? It has been in the same spot for over 6 months with no issue but when you said “move it to a dark spot” it kinda made me wonder if that could be why it’s losing tissue. All my water parameters look good so I’m just not sure what action to take, if any. I want to try to save it if possible but I definitely don’t want to throw everything else off in the process.
Also, any idea what kind of sponge?

Upvote 0

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many sponges just simply don't do well long term. They are filter feeders and filter something specific but their specific diets per species are not well known. Now it might be worth trying to move it to see if light is the issue, but don't beat yourself up over it.

Upvote 0

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I didn't read that part of the original post! The new light COULD be the cause, but it's more likely that some minor parameter has shifted to a range that the sponge doesn't like. They wax & wane all the time in my tank, but they always come back. As for an ID, I've got no clue. I do have the same thing in my tank though., it's growing underneath a Lithophyllon.

Upvote 0
Back