What kind of coral?

showjumper_girl2002

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me what kind of coral this is?
28787BB4-0446-4FDA-ADB4-914D44DF0A73.jpeg

OP
OP
showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! Now, any idea why the base would be fading? Too much or too little light? The water parameters are all good. I use the Radion led lights with the AB+ template.

OP
OP
showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at pictures, it looks like it should have a stalk, but mine is growing more like a carpet. Not sure if that’s normal or if it’s related to the lighting.

OP
OP
showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at pictures, it looks like it should have a stalk, but mine is growing more like a carpet. Not sure if that’s normal or if it’s related to the lighting.
It also comes out and looks happy one day and then closes up and stays closed for another day or 2 before opening back up. Is that normal? Sorry for all the questions lol.
Looks fine to me.
is it normal to grow flat and close to the rock? The pictures I’ve seen look like they normally have a stalk and resemble a mushroom.

Brad Waddell Wrath's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also comes out and looks happy one day and then closes up and stays closed for another day or 2 before opening back up. Is that normal? Sorry for all the questions lol.

is it normal to grow flat and close to the rock? The pictures I’ve seen look like they normally have a stalk and resemble a mushroom.
Yes I have mine up high and its close to the rock. Happy as can be. I have frags in lower light and they reach up.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! Now, any idea why the base would be fading? Too much or too little light? The water parameters are all good. I use the Radion led lights with the AB+ template.
The base isn't fading. It's perfecly fine and looks healthy.
It's base is attached to rock and will form a stem and top which you already have going.

Leather1.jpg

The Top depening on type of Leather will take shape and have the polyps.
Two different mature/established leathers seen below.

Leather2b.jpg

This is and example of a Finger Leather.
Leather2.jpg

And they grow fast with the right conditions (Nothing special, just clean water and adedquate lighting). 1.5 years from Picture above to below.

Leather3.jpg

One things about leathers is they can release chemicals that hinder other corals growth/health.
So running a bit of Carbon in your system is not a bad thing.

Last edited:

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's basically textbook toadstool behavior. I have two toadstools (in two different tanks) and used to have another in another tank, and they've all done that from time to time. Very hardy corals, but they sometimes get irritated and close up for a day or two. Nothing to be concerned about.

They'll also shed their outer 'skin' from time to time, and they'll usually close up while that's happening. As long as you don't see the coral shrinking in size, it's nothing to worry about.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 165 61.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 92 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.2%
Back