What kind of crab is this?!?!

Wackzood1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dealing with a nudi problem in my zoas and come to find this guy hanging out ..... never seen it before!

20180312_193009.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hairy legs, big claws with black tips ... generally not a good combination. It's a crab for certain, but they're not easy to identify down to species level for most hobbyists.

~Bruce, who's been watching _the_coolest_ red-and-white, hairy-legged, black-tipped crab in his display recently . . .

OP
OP
Wackzood1

Wackzood1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shortly after I snapped the pic he disappeared and now I can't find him .... the tank has been up and running for 9 months or so.

islandguy85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zood, I have a random crab in mine as well for around ~3mos. Pretty sure he has eaten a hermit and a few snails so I would say watch close. I caught mine and pulled his larger claw off and put him back in but I am watching him closely. My tank is 3' deep and he only sits at the bottom but I don't doubt that he will try to eat anything he can. As he gets bigger I may have to remove him and put him in sump or just wack him. I caught mine w a 4 prong flexible 2' nut/bolt grabber.

savetheocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can catch it, just put it in the sump. Does not look reef safe. Take it out if you can.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back