What Kind of Crazy Foods do you feed your reef?

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was scouting along Diesels thread today, and saw his diesel sauce, and some other people saying the fed wierd things like whole milk and chicken eggs. It got me thinking... surely there's lots of cheap food out there thats nutritious and everyone would love, including corals. So, what kind of crazy food do you feed?

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blackworms is the craziest thing I feed, which isn't too uncommon. I've heard some people feed yeast for corals, bananas to tangs, live clams and mussels, and who knows what else.

tony'stank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I open a can of tuna or salmon I rinse the can in the tank. Any kind of fresh fish I will mince a small piece for the fish and corals. I will put a piece of romaine lettuce in my tank from time to time

OP
OP
C-Reefer

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blackworms is the craziest thing I feed, which isn't too uncommon. I've heard some people feed yeast for corals, bananas to tangs, live clams and mussels, and who knows what else.

I can see the yeast, kind of like zooplankton. Clams and mussels I can see too, but not really bananas.

Craziest thing for me would be Coral Frenzy !

Haha Roids for me

Whenever I open a can of tuna or salmon I rinse the can in the tank. Any kind of fresh fish I will mince a small piece for the fish and corals. I will put a piece of romaine lettuce in my tank from time to time

Smart. Its natural fish. What all eat the lettuce?

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A $5 bag of frozen raw shrimp, garlic or garlic powder, 3 cups of water. Put in blender and blend it up. Put it all in a couple of large freezer bags or ice cube trays. Result? A massive amount of inexpensive, high protein, low Phosphate food that all the fish go crazy for. They absolutely love it.

OP
OP
C-Reefer

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A $5 bag of frozen raw shrimp, garlic or garlic powder, 3 cups of water. Put in blender and blend it up. Put it all in a couple of large freezer bags or ice cube trays. Result? A massive amount of inexpensive, high protein, low Phosphate food that all the fish go crazy for. They absolutely love it.

Genius. You could even blend in some phyto, get a can of cyclopeeze, mabye some silversides, some spirulina, and some nori and you've got super nutritious super cheap food, it'd be like $20 if you already have some of the stuff, and it'd last you forever.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Neon cleaner goby and pederson shrimp dine on my hand every time I put it in the tank!

AnakinReefWalker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold up. Definitely counts!! Could you enlighten us to what happens/purpose?

I've heard of feeding roe before.

I don't mean to answer for him and I might be wrong, but I believe he is using the isopropanol as a Carbon source to feed the bacteria in his tank

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a hairy crab in a species only tank and I feed him dead stuff from the other tank. :p

Cnidoblast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isopropanol becomes acetone and acetone can be directly utilized by tank bacteria

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew a guy who fed his herbivores banana. He had 2 black Bat fish he said that was all they would eat. Iv'e never tried it. One would think they have good vitamins

Back