what kind of fish to add now?

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! hope all is well with everyone and just wanted to ask, im really wanting to get one maybe two more colorful, vibrant, cool fish in my 75 gallon mixed reef and didnt want to put anything in that might start fighting with what i have now.....so heres a list of what i have in the order that i added them and you tell me! i was thinking def a mandarin goby or ruby red dragonet! really beautiful fish....but please tell me, heres the list in order added.....

2 oscellaris clownfish
1 yellow watchman and pistol pair
1 Midas Blenny
1 Yellow Tang

Corals
20 zoanthids and palythoas lol
4 different colored mushrooms
1 branching frogspawn
1 Duncan coral
1 Green star polyps
1 Stylophora
1 Digitata
1 RBT- recently split and is growing awesomly lol
1 beautiful rock flower anemone
1 medium sized sea fan

I know that we have to be careful when adding fish and in certain orders but was wondering what you guys think would be good next? thanks in advance

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think looking into some of the reef safe wrasses would be a great start. Hard to make a recommendation without knowing budget, but they are definitely some of the most colorful fish and a large number that won't get massive and outgrow you.

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i used to have a six line wrasse and took him back bc after watching him for a few days(actually sitting on the couch and watching out of view) i watched him eat a few healthy small zoanthid polyps! tried to put them on frag racks covered with a acrylic box with small holes for flow and he still go it and finished them off........although he was good at eating pests! ive thought about getting another 6 line bc i did like him other than that one incident lol

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not a big fan of 6 lines because of my experience with them being pretty aggressive. I personally have a Melanurus wrasse but I'd like to pick up a Lineatus or Rhomboidalis at some point.

Mandarins and Red Dragonets are both pretty interesting and colorful fish, but I think they do better in older/established systems with a heavy pod population.

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had much aggression from my old six line, but man was he sneaky, quick and smart!! I do have quite a huge amount of pods! I always check in on my zoanthids and palys at night since its best to see any pests at that time, and every time I look, I see hundreds of little pods crawling all over the rocks and everywhere!! This is why I was asking abut the mandarin and dragonet , I know that's what they hunt/eat, but I'm mainly concerned on what fish I should add only bc I'm afraid my yellow tang may bow up at it ..... I planned on not getting anymore fish after my tang but being a little over a year since my tank has been set up and has started to get alot more mature I wanted to add a beautiful colorful elegant fish to the tank

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had much aggression from my old six line, but man was he sneaky, quick and smart!! I do have quite a huge amount of pods! I always check in on my zoanthids and palys at night since its best to see any pests at that time, and every time I look, I see hundreds of little pods crawling all over the rocks and everywhere!! This is why I was asking abut the mandarin and dragonet , I know that's what they hunt/eat, but I'm mainly concerned on what fish I should add only bc I'm afraid my yellow tang may bow up at it ..... I planned on not getting anymore fish after my tang but being a little over a year since my tank has been set up and has started to get alot more mature I wanted to add a beautiful colorful elegant fish to the tank

You didn't have him long enough. 6 line wrasses are known for being okay for a bit and then going rogue. A Melanurus Wrasse would certainly add color to the tank, although the Yellow Tang might be a complete jerk to new additions.

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah thats what im worried about is the tang being a bully to any new fish i introduce......besides wrasses, are there any other tangs or other fish that are bright and colorful that are pretty chill and peaceful with what i have?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A melanurus wrasse will compete for pods with the mandarin and dragonet. Fairy and flasher wrasses will not compete for pods and are peaceful.

A mandarin or ruby red dragonet will be fine.

Some other options: a trio of zebra dartfish, royal gramma, flame or longnose hawkfish.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah thats what im worried about is the tang being a bully to any new fish i introduce......besides wrasses, are there any other tangs or other fish that are bright and colorful that are pretty chill and peaceful with what i have?

A 75 gallon is limited to a single Tang long term. As mentioned by eatbreakfast, Fairy and Flasher Wrasses would be great choices. Lot's of color and personality and they generally don't bother much. If you do go with a dragonet, make sure you have a healthy well established copepod population. They need to feed constantly during the waking hours or they will die.

OP
OP
Justin....#JAMAS

Justin....#JAMAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 75 gallon is limited to a single Tang long term. As mentioned by eatbreakfast, Fairy and Flasher Wrasses would be great choices. Lot's of color and personality and they generally don't bother much. If you do go with a dragonet, make sure you have a healthy well established copepod population. They need to feed constantly during the waking hours or they will die.

not even a kole tang? and thank you bout the heads up on the pods

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only 1 tang in a 75g.

Yup, the Yellow Tang will dominate a 75 gallon. I just had to remove mine from my 90 gallon as he was picking on my Coral Beauty (acutally took a chunk out of it's lower fin and got it several times with it's scalpel) and he was only about half of his full size. As they get bigger they get more assertive. Shame too, it is a cool looking fish and helped with algae and detritus removal in my tank.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back