What kind of mushroom is this?

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me what kind of mushroom this is please? I bought it many years ago from a fellow reefer and don’t know what it is. It multiplies pretty slow, I always referred to it as a purple hairy mushroom, but it’s got spuratic green peppered throughout. Any ideas?

962F19FB-5D13-412E-B270-BDA3A97C256A.jpeg

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a Ricordea! Bubble appearance...

Rhodactis mushrooms are hairy in appearance which is not evident in your mushroom.

Last edited:

Hypan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to me what is commonly called a purple hairy/lavender mushroom
Rhodactis sp.

OP
OP
T

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I’m guessing it’s the rhodactus species, it’s super hairy when it’s not in extreme high flow, it’s attached to egg crate on the bottom of the tank. I’ts not a Ricordea I’m sure of that. I was curious if it had a stupid fancy name attached to it, I happen to run across a for sale thread selling 2 of these and asking $600 and they looked identical to them. They called them “magic carpet” mushrooms, a silly name, and it sold, and I’m in complete shock anyone would pay that much for these lol, even $100 is ridiculous, IMO. I was wondering if there’s something distinct with the typical purple hairy mushroom with green specs and a “magic carpet”. Just wondering if there’s multiple species of purple hairy mushrooms with green specs, and what makes one so valuable besides a kooky name, and a gullible buyer? They all look the same to me showing varying characteristics that typically change with varying conditions. I’m not a beginner, I’ve seen all the crazy with sps and was part of that years ago, but I’ve never really gotten to a place to enjoy soft corals, like I’ve come to appreciate so much more recently.

So, are there multiple variations of purple mushrooms with green, or am I pretty close to reality - that a mushroom, is a mushroom, is a mushroom, with green in it?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back