What kind of nem is this?

AngelsNano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
83F2AF06-56D7-4173-8959-6A364691B158.jpeg
This nem was found in the water in the Florida Keys. Can anyone help ID it?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
83F2AF06-56D7-4173-8959-6A364691B158.jpeg
This nem was found in the water in the Florida Keys. Can anyone help ID it?

Did you collect it? If so, where exactly did you find it? I snorkel the Keys (mostly the Middle Keys) and I've never seen one like that in the Keys. And I pay attention to anemones when I snorkel! The common anemones are Curly-ques, Rock Flowers and Condys, and it's none of those. I wish I could be more helpful, but Rock Flowers are my specialty.

Condys are native to Florida.

That is NOT a Condy and for that matter, Condys are now illegal to collect in Florida.

Can someone explain how a gigantea would make it to the Western Atlantic from the Indo-Pacific?

If that's what it is (and I have no idea) it could have been released by somebody who didn't want it anymore? Or it could even have been released when somebody's aquarium got dumped by Hurricane Irma a few years ago.

OP
OP
AngelsNano

AngelsNano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you collect it? If so, where exactly did you find it? I snorkel the Keys (mostly the Middle Keys) and I've never seen one like that in the Keys. And I pay attention to anemones when I snorkel! The common anemones are Curly-ques, Rock Flowers and Condys, and it's none of those. I wish I could be more helpful, but Rock Flowers are my specialty.

That is NOT a Condy and for that matter, Condys are now illegal to collect in Florida.

If that's what it is (and I have no idea) it could have been released by somebody who didn't want it anymore? Or it could even have been released when somebody's aquarium got dumped by Hurricane Irma a few years ago.
Thank you, @Ron Reefman. We collected it in about 4' water off of Big Pine Key. There were actually two of them, about a foot apart, but we only took one. I think your hurricane theory may be spot on. I'd just love to know what it actually is. :)

OP
OP
AngelsNano

AngelsNano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@James M looks like Stichodactyla helianthus. Will eat your clowns. :)

But we need a picture of column and foot to be sure. It's most likely this if it's found in Florida.
Well that wouldn't be good. :( I'll work on pictures when I get home tonight. Thank you.

OP
OP
AngelsNano

AngelsNano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sun anemone have verracue (spots) that are straight line down the column, where gigantea are not. Haddoni does not have verracue.

Example of spots on a column of sun Anemone

sunanemone3.jpg
7CE03603-92B1-4ACC-BE1C-E53F29277526.jpeg

I’m having a problem getting a picture of the foot at the moment, but this is its column. Does this help identify it?

Back