What kind of reactors do you guys use?

KPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

I’m looking at picking up a media reactor to run some GFO in my biocube 29 gallon. I can’t seem to get my phosphates under control. I’ve run phosguard in a media bag, lots of water changes, I’ve scrubbed the rocks free of GHA twice and its come back within days.

I was looking at the Innovative Marine Minimax pro series because it looks like it’ll fit nicely into the back of the AIO sump area. However i was watching some video reviews and they’re saying that GFO doesn’t tumble well in this particular reactor.

So my question is: Which brand of reactor do you guys use in general? Anything you guys recommend for a biocube? Has anyone used this particular reactor?

Any help would be amazing! Happy Monday!

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Pax Bellum ARID 18. Certainly pricey but when combined with my Bubble Magus Curve 7 skimmer. I have to dose nitrate to keep some nutrients in the tank. No GHA to speak of. Returned most of CUC to LFS. Feed heavy.

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand using GFO but if possible I avoid such solutions. I prefer natural options in my next tank I will just have a Refugium with Chaeto.

OP
OP
K

KPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand using GFO but if possible I avoid such solutions. I prefer natural options in my next tank I will just have a Refugium with Chaeto.
That’s the plan for my Red Sea Reefer 350. But i can’t really run a refugium in my biocube so i was hoping a reactor with GFO would help.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquamax small in the sump of my 120.
I run phosgaurd when I want to lower po4.
Its on the left side.
I would just throw some in a mesh bag.
20210606_105853.jpg

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note: if you use phosgaurd as directed in a bag it will work.
What is your current po4 number and what do you have set as your po4 range?
If your po4 is high like .3 or greater it will take some time and need to be replaced every 3-4 days untill its in range.

OP
OP
K

KPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know the exact number. I’ve always taken samples to the LFS and they’ve just told me its a little high. Any PO4 test kits you guys recommend? I have an API master kit and it doesn’t include anything other than PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you start adding GFO , or any other type of remover, I would suggest you get a PO4 tester and test yourself so that you know where you are at. Hanna ULR checker for PO4 is a winner on all fronts, but your PO4 might be on the higher side than the check can test, but still a good tested to have. Salifert, and RedSea make PO4 testers as well.

KyOsIBa515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had a JbJ 28 I ran a two little fishies 150 phosban. Worked great because it was a hang on back which is what you’ll need for the bio cube.

Since then I moved on to a Red Sea 350 and run Aquamaxx reactors and a BRS scrubber.
0A61CAF9-AA7A-4EA9-98BE-2B45929C6E19.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tester
th.jpg

Reactor
Rf274cafaaca8c1fed742a25b60850214.jpg

I hang the reactor in the sump and siphon from the DT into the sump. I am careful to have an intake U tube that will break siphon when the tank level gets low to prevent power failure overflows. Simple, works great and requires no additional pump.

Having the LFS tell you your P is high is interesting. Do you have problem algae growing? Is your livestock suffering as a result of P levels?

If it isn't broke I wouldn't use GFO to fix it.

OP
OP
K

KPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tester
th.jpg

Reactor
Rf274cafaaca8c1fed742a25b60850214.jpg

I hang the reactor in the sump and siphon from the DT into the sump. I am careful to have an intake U tube that will break siphon when the tank level gets low to prevent power failure overflows. Simple, works great and requires no additional pump.

Having the LFS tell you your P is high is interesting. Do you have problem algae growing? Is your livestock suffering as a result of P levels?

If it isn't broke I wouldn't use GFO to fix it.
Yeah. GHA on all the rocks, sand, back of the tank, etc. I’m currently using it as a quarantine tank for new fish to come in but I’m on my last planned fish, so once he’s in the DT I’ll turn this into a nano reef and get a cheaper hospital/QT set up elsewhere. But the snails, conch, blenny in the biocube all seem healthy and happy. I’ll just need to get an actual tester and test it. Just a little aggravated that phosguard and scrubbing seemed to have zero impact on it.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. GHA on all the rocks, sand, back of the tank, etc. I’m currently using it as a quarantine tank for new fish to come in but I’m on my last planned fish, so once he’s in the DT I’ll turn this into a nano reef and get a cheaper hospital/QT set up elsewhere. But the snails, conch, blenny in the biocube all seem healthy and happy. I’ll just need to get an actual tester and test it. Just a little aggravated that phosguard and scrubbing seemed to have zero impact on it.
If you happend to use copper in the 29 then you will have to remove that also?

If you are going to be fishless I think you might want to look into lanthanium chloride to get after the phosphate. The p will be settled out in the sand and on any live rock that are in the tank so removal takes time for the reactions to occur. The fact you mention zero impact suggests that there is enough percipitated on the rock and sand to keep the level in solution stable.

OP
OP
K

KPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you happend to use copper in the 29 then you will have to remove that also?

If you are going to be fishless I think you might want to look into lanthanium chloride to get after the phosphate. The p will be settled out in the sand and on any live rock that are in the tank so removal takes time for the reactions to occur. The fact you mention zero impact suggests that there is enough percipitated on the rock and sand to keep the level in solution stable.
No copper treatment. I never had to. While quarantining i never observed any sicknesses in the incoming fish. Luckily. I’m going to get a test kit this week for low level phosphate and see where I’m at and game plan from there. I’ll probably update this threat with whatever number i get. I’m also seeing that even if you run GFO you shouldn’t run it 24/7. Is that accurate?

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.7%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 97 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back