What kind of snail is this?

Laflew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to purchase some nassarius snails for my 65 gallon tank that's a couple months old long story short i was browsing while the employee at my lfs was bagging it up and brought home 4 if these guys. From what i looked up i think theyre cerith snails. Theyve been under the sand bed since being added but i was just hoping to get some confirmation :)

20230115_223624.jpg 20230115_223851.jpg 20230115_223905.jpg

Reef Alchemy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mexican Ceriths for sure. They are a smaller snail that will burrow in the sand occasionally and can help to stir up the sand bed. When I first started my tank, I had a bad outbreak of all kinds of algaes on my dry rock, including some coarse hair and turf algae. Astrea snails and Trochus snails would not touch the hair and turf algaes, but the Mexican Ceriths would. The only downside to these Cerith Snails is that they lay long white strings of eggs that are unsightly and nothing I know of eats the eggs; whereas Astrea and Trochus release their eggs into the water column.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Laflew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mexican Ceriths for sure. They are a smaller snail that will burrow in the sand occasionally and can help to stir up the sand bed. When I first started my tank, I had a bad outbreak of all kinds of algaes on my dry rock, including some coarse hair and turf algae. Astrea snails and Trochus snails would not touch the hair and turf algaes, but the Mexican Ceriths would. The only downside to these Cerith Snails is that they lay long white strings of eggs that are unsightly and nothing I know of eats the eggs; whereas Astrea and Trochus release their eggs into the water column.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back