What kind of tang is this?

• Total voters

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they mean A. Xanthopterus. That was another I was considering.

This is Liveaquaria's picture for a juvenile A. Xanthopterus though:
1615423727126.png
Yes I had this species for a while. It gets very very large. The adult color is very different from the picture.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after pointing out the freckles/spots on the face/tail, Liveaquaria now says it is in fact a Bareine tang and gave me a refund. That being said he's taken a turn for the worse and I'm not sure he'll make it to the morning. :(
LA is trash now. Whoever bought them has run them into the ground

OP
OP
Aquarist76

Aquarist76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't Dussumieri tangs have a white spine outlined in black just like in the picture of your 8" one? I'm not sure, but that is what I am seeing. I questioned against Dussumieri since the tail of yours is mostly white, but some images I find of Dussumieri tangs show white tails when young. (but, then again, who knows if the images are labeled accurately for random internet searches?)
It is probably difficult to identify at this stage, since all three species mentioned have variations and look very similar when young, especially to my untrained eye and lack of familiarity...

Dussumieri's actually have a bright white spine that is outlined in blue. Here's a brighter picture (actually a bit blown out at F2.8) of my guy I just took.

DSC00380.JPG

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is a "Fowleri" tang I got from LIveaquaria general stock (not Divers Den). Their experts keep telling me this is a juvenile Fowleri tang but I'm very suspicious. It's about 3" and has no distinguishing horseshoe marking. It also has faint orange freckles on its face and tail. It has a black spine (or maybe a black outlined white spine).

Also, yes it is sick. That's how it was shipped to me. First it has just white spots but now it looks like it might be getting a bit of fin rot. I've tried treating with API Gen Cure, Furan 2, and Kanaplex so far.

DSC00096.JPG
DSC00364.jpg

face.jpg
tail.jpg
Yeah, too young to tell for sure? Fowleri and Bariene are so similar!!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't ever tell. @4FordFamily
Believe it or not, me either. As juveniles it’s always difficult. They’re such close cousins. Fowler barienne dussumeiri. My mind says Fowleri but I can’t justify why.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back