What kind of urchin is this and is it reef safe?

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently discovered this urchin that hitchhiked off some live rock that I ordered. I haven't been able to identify it. It roams around the glass, rock and sand, constantly eating algae. I'm concerned that it might eat my sps frags.
20211028_144451.jpg

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recently discovered this urchin that hitchhiked off some live rock that I ordered. I haven't been able to identify it. It roams around the glass, rock and sand, constantly eating algae. I'm concerned that it might eat my sps frags.
is it eating a gorgonian in that picture?

Upvote 0

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20211028_144451.jpg
Looks like a Arbacia punctulata (purple urchin). They are primary algae eaters and will stay away from corals. They will eat gorgs and sponges as a secondary food source, if no alage is available for them.

Upvote 0

DiabloJP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resurrecting this thread to note that I just watched my Arbacia Punctulata eat an entire Montipora frag and most of an Acro frag in about 15 minutes. He mistook the frag rack for a buffet! :eek:

The urchin is also pretty well-fed, btw, and has been doing just fine for months. Apparently just had an SPS craving today.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back