What kind of urchin is this and is it reef safe?

Tbg299

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I recently discovered this urchin that hitchhiked off some live rock that I ordered. I haven't been able to identify it. It roams around the glass, rock and sand, constantly eating algae. I'm concerned that it might eat my sps frags.
20211028_144451.jpg

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
I recently discovered this urchin that hitchhiked off some live rock that I ordered. I haven't been able to identify it. It roams around the glass, rock and sand, constantly eating algae. I'm concerned that it might eat my sps frags.
is it eating a gorgonian in that picture?

Upvote 0

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
20211028_144451.jpg
Looks like a Arbacia punctulata (purple urchin). They are primary algae eaters and will stay away from corals. They will eat gorgs and sponges as a secondary food source, if no alage is available for them.

Upvote 0
OP
Tbg299

Tbg299

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Looks like a Arbacia punctulata (purple urchin). They are primary algae eaters and will stay away from corals. They will eat gorgs and sponges as a secondary food source, if no alage is available for them.
Thank you for the quick response. I'm positive that's it.

Upvote 0
Your Reef