What kind of worm is this??

jlbristle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I am dealing with small and large cell amph Dino’s and tiny white worms on the glass in my 120G peninsula. Can anyone help ID what kind of worms these are. I am pretty confident they are not flat worms since they do not seem to grow much larger than a copepod. I was able to get decent pics and micropscope photos of them. Also, I have dosed copepods multiple times throughout the last few months and they do not seem to be on the display glass as much as they were prior to the Dino’s and these worms showing up. I am dosing live phyto and spongexcel and it does not seem to increase my pod population. I am seeing a diatom bloom but it does not seem to be making a dent in the Dino’s. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

6F2BA101-009E-4CA4-8A76-50E56BA68CB5.png

Attachments

• IMG_2033.MOV
    25.7 MB
  • IMG_2013.MOV
    14.6 MB
  • IMG_2105.MOV
    55.9 MB
OP
OP
J

jlbristle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• C5669018-01B5-46C4-8B76-5BE2AD8D1322.jpeg
    C5669018-01B5-46C4-8B76-5BE2AD8D1322.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 45
  • 3B75094F-DBED-49EB-9760-4DDDBF177DF4.png
    3B75094F-DBED-49EB-9760-4DDDBF177DF4.png
    730.3 KB · Views: 39

Lord_Mort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I have seen these in my tank a couple of times to but they never stayed very long. While I have no advice for you, I thought it might be helpful to let you know that I am watching this thread and give you a "bump" at the same time. =)

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I have seen these in my tank a couple of times to but they never stayed very long. While I have no advice for you, I thought it might be helpful to let you know that I am watching this thread and give you a "bump" at the same time. =)
Totally unrelated, but isn't the spider on your profile picture a rare one? May I ask what it's called?

Lord_Mort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally unrelated, but isn't the spider on your profile picture a rare one? May I ask what it's called?
Absolutely! Very happy to share that info =)
This species is critically endangered in the wild but captive bred specimens are usually available in the hobby.
It's native to a small forest region in India.
Common name is "Gooty Sapphire Tarantula", named after the place it was first discovered.
The scientific name is Poecilotheria metallica.
I actually have a female in my collection and I've attempted to breed her recently. She does appear to be gravid so I'm hoping to have several babies in a couple of months =)

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely! Very happy to share that info =)
This species is critically endangered in the wild but captive bred specimens are usually available in the hobby.
It's native to a small forest region in India.
Common name is "Gooty Sapphire Tarantula", named after the place it was first discovered.
The scientific name is Poecilotheria metallica.
I actually have a female in my collection and I've attempted to breed her recently. She does appear to be gravid so I'm hoping to have several babies in a couple of months =)
Thank you for the information. I myself am scared ****less of spiders, let alone these huge ones. I just remember seeing this spider once somewhere and thought they were "rare"(?) So I was curious what it was called.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look like a flatworm to me, mostly due to the fact that it doesn't have smooth sides. @ISpeakForTheSeas
I'm not great with microscopic ID's, but I'm thinking it's a Polychaete (Bristle Worm) of some kind. The closest looking one I know at the moment is Dimorphilus gyrociliatus (formerly known as Dinophilus gyrociliatus) which is documented as being found along the East Coast of the US and around parts of Europe, but I'm not sure if it's the same species as the worms the OP has or not.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back