What kinds of reefing videos do you like to watch?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm curious what other people's preferences are.

Do you like short videos? Long videos? (How long is ideal for you?)
Do you prefer professional videos a la BRS or more homemade style videos? (Or both? If so, what kinda drives you to a video?)
Do you like livestock videos? Equipment videos? Both?

I'm curious how you would characterize your reef video viewing habits.

For me, I like videos that are generally shortish... I really like them under 5 minutes, and if I'm gonna watch longer than 15 minutes, it's bc something really caught my attention.
I like professional videos and homemade videos, but I really hate rambling...so if the video scripting is poorly done and there's a ton of talking with no real content, I'm likely to shut it off.
I usually watch equipment videos (reviews and how-tos). I will watch livestock videos, but usually it's because I'm interested in a particular animal and its care...not usually just bc I stumbled on it.

How about you?

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious what other people's preferences are.

Do you like short videos? Long videos? (How long is ideal for you?)
Do you prefer professional videos a la BRS or more homemade style videos? (Or both? If so, what kinda drives you to a video?)
Do you like livestock videos? Equipment videos? Both?

I'm curious how you would characterize your reef video viewing habits.

For me, I like videos that are generally shortish... I really like them under 5 minutes, and if I'm gonna watch longer than 15 minutes, it's bc something really caught my attention.
I like professional videos and homemade videos, but I really hate rambling...so if the video scripting is poorly done and there's a ton of talking with no real content, I'm likely to shut it off.
I usually watch equipment videos (reviews and how-tos). I will watch livestock videos, but usually it's because I'm interested in a particular animal and its care...not usually just bc I stumbled on it.

How about you?
I love watching videos about the fish I am researching or am planning to get so I can see some conditions and experiences. Just like Prestige Reef had a Regal Angelfish who was ok with coral whole the boxfish was not.

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like long videos tha concentrate on equipment. I hate the ones with nothing but a talking head who only shows his big face the whole time. Just sayin.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like tank tours and updates on reefs I can watch grow and mature. Some equipment reviews - there are a lot of poor ones where it’s really just an unboxing or a “long term” review that has been in use 3-6 months. Species specific videos are another good one.

Length doesn’t matter to me it can be 2 minutes or 30. As long as it’s good quality content. This means colours are decent, doesn’t have to be a $5000 camera but does have to have somewhat decent white balance. From my own experience a 10 year old dslr will give you this.

I like some big channels like brs and some smaller channels too. What I really don’t like is the many many people who make videos just for the sake of videos, they change equipment for no reason, kill their fish then add new ones ect.

Part of the problem is a reef worth watching is in most cases years in the making and there just isn’t content weekly let alone several times a week so people put out pointless stuff.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefbuilders is my favorite, he seems to hit the sweet spot of it not being too short, but also doesn't just let it ramble on and on

mostly videos that are in the 10 min range, but 20 or so if it's an interesting topic.

the ones that really don't do it for me are the hour+ long livestream type videos, but i will say i've picked up some interesting nuggets just turning those on and doing other stuff around the house. then someone asks a question that i've had here or there

reefdudes has grown on me a lot i like his videos

BRS is obviously awesome, but the topics they cover sometimes don't do it for me, but that's ok

tidal gardens does some cool stuff, really professional

monterey bay aquariums has some cool non reef stuff

Fugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally like higher production quality. Captures my attention more.

We try to focus on a wide variety of reefing content for our channel (GalleryAquaticaTV) and I am always having to be ruthless with the length of our vids.

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lifestock videos < 5 minutes, I wanna see this thing swimming and some quick stats then move on

Tank updates 10-15 minutes, give me new info then recap any changes from last time wrap it up with 2-3 minutes of tank video

Aquascaping/rock unboxing - as long as you need. For what ever reason dry rock clinking is one of my ASMR triggers

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really liked BRStv from 1-3 years ago. Especially during the BRS360 and the WWC method. They had a lot of equipment videos, how tos, and i like the comparison vidoes. 10-20 minutes is usually the right amount of time.

Boops

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally I do like all videos from reefbuilders and gallery aquatics TV. Particularly I like videos presenting tanks.

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look for good editing probably because I took a few editing classes and know how long it takes. The videos that tick me off are the ones with one view the entire video and a Belichick voice. There’s gotta be some funny stuff in there love my comedy.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few hundred videos on my channel and what the numbers tell me is that people like 1 hour long unedited videos without voice over and sex related topics.

The 2 most watched videos on my channel took me 10 - 15 minutes to make: an unedited 1 hour dive and a very short video of an anemone that looks like a pair of breasts (or an butt).

I have videos that I worked on for up to 6 years and nobody watches them.

As a consumer, I like long inspired ramblings and Q&A (melevsreef, tidal gardens and Joao Carlos Basso, a 73 old brazillian guy that keeps saltwater tanks since the early 70's) and new research (reefman, brstv).

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like any tank update videos that start with FTS then zoom and scrolls through it. Its great for getting ideas.

I like progress videos, and talking about how-to or DYI. I miss @CJaquariums videos, he was very good and editing and narration.

I like reviews of chemicals/equipment that don't make you go through 14 mins of non-topic stuff just to get to the meat of the video.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really liked BRStv from 1-3 years ago. Especially during the BRS360 and the WWC method. They had a lot of equipment videos, how tos, and i like the comparison vidoes. 10-20 minutes is usually the right amount of time.
+1
I don't really like the newer BRS videos as much as the older ones. Seems like they are more driven by sponsors and partnerships.

Denizzz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Gallery Aquatics TV too. I find them sincere. Ofcourse they are a company wanna sell products and their service but not trying to push you to one way. They let you decide . I generally prefer maintenance service videos of known companies and scientific research videos.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorites are in text form.

I promise not to crap up the thread by repeating it over and over, but I refuse to watch video for the most part and really miss the days when people wrote blogs or forum posts on these subjects instead of making looooong rambling videos. You can skim text so much faster than the speed of a video. (Plus search engines can search text)

I bet I'm not alone.

(Whats even more puzzling to me is how many people are watching these videos on little 4-6" screens, but thats a possibly unrelated subject :) )

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m good with short or long videos. Any type of quality. Long as the commenter keeps focus on facts and info. I love information.

What I don’t love is knowing what said commenters kids, dog, wife, dishwasher is doing. Also don’t care what happened at work or How many twisty ties came in the packaging. Or any back story that has nothing to do with the topic.

Back