What LED lights for my 120 48x24x24

77pm77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are back in the reef tank hobby world. We have standard 120 gal that we purchased used. It has a light system that was home built and it needs
to be changed. Our tank has a top hood that closes and gives me about 8 or 9 inches maybe 10 inches of height for mounting a light. I have been looking
online and I see so many choices. Our budget is around 700 to 800 $$ Maybe a little higher.. LED is the lights we are looking to use.. 5 vent fans in the hood!!
Any information and help would be great.. Thank you

lanceinhuntsville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are back in the reef tank hobby world. We have standard 120 gal that we purchased used. It has a light system that was home built and it needs
to be changed. Our tank has a top hood that closes and gives me about 8 or 9 inches maybe 10 inches of height for mounting a light. I have been looking
online and I see so many choices. Our budget is around 700 to 800 $$ Maybe a little higher.. LED is the lights we are looking to use.. 5 vent fans in the hood!!
I’m setting up a tank with the same dimensions and I’m using two AP700s. I could probably get away with one, but I’ve got one on my 40 gallon that’s 36” wide and I’m not confident about it lighting a 48” tank. It’s over your budget to get two but you can find them used for 450-500 each

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into a Reefbreeders Photon 48-V2+, seems to run in the $600-700 range depending on site. 3w and 5w leds, only concern is if that height would give you enough light spread which might be the tricky part.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @jt8791... best bang for your buck in that budget is going to be the Photon V2+ or Photon V2 Pro (either the 48 or 50). The 48's are 43" long and the 50's are 47.5" long. The Pro comes with the wifi chip installed already and lets you program the lights using the app instead of the remote (highly recommended).

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @jt8791... best bang for your buck in that budget is going to be the Photon V2+ or Photon V2 Pro (either the 48 or 50). The 48's are 43" long and the 50's are 47.5" long. The Pro comes with the wifi chip installed already and lets you program the lights using the app instead of the remote (highly recommended).

Nice, I didn’t catch that part. Was wondering what the difference between those two was.

Edit: if you want to save a bit the remote isn’t terrible once you get used to it. Customer support is great too

Klx110ripper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reefbreeder on my current tank and I'm setting up the same tank as you right now. I LOVE my reef breeder but unless you buy the controller for it, it sucks to program.

I decided to go with all AQUA ILLUMINATION pumps and lights so i can control two tanks from the same app. So my plan is (3) hydra 32 HD's over the 48" tank

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reefbreeder on my current tank and I'm setting up the same tank as you right now. I LOVE my reef breeder but unless you buy the controller for it, it sucks to program.

I decided to go with all AQUA ILLUMINATION pumps and lights so i can control two tanks from the same app. So my plan is (3) hydra 32 HD's over the 48" tank
If you buy the Photon V2+ Pro's they come with the wifi chip already on board. I converted all of my lights with the chip and all 3 tanks I have them over share the same schedule.

Sony Ph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use 2 AI Prime Reef HD 16. It perfect for your tank. With the 2 tank mounts, it cost under 600 dollars .https://www.aquaillumination.com/products/prime

b9sofine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
two radions or 4 ft ati fixture

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get 2 Reefi duo extreme, better spectrum,PAR and spread then a radion and at a cheaper price. Cant get better then that.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 9 100.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back