What light should I get on Black Friday/cyber Monday for my lagoon 25?

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the deals going on and that will be going on I need to pick out a light for my innovative marine lagoon 25 because I want to make in an sps grow out tank. Should I do a prime HD with a reef brite? A Prime HD alone? A pair of T5 retrofits? I need your guys opinions.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd need two primes to cover it correctly.
You could do a reef bright and the t5 kit. But you'd want a dimmer and 4 t5. The led would have more focused power at the same distance btw.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big fan of the T5 lights. Yes it does not have the color pop or shimmer an LED gives. Where the T5 will give you less shadowing. Making it better for the under part of a coral or parts of coral that would be shadowed. T5 w/ the Reefbright combo would give you the best of both worlds. If you happen to choose T5s. I would highly recommend a ATI Blue+, Coral+, Blue+, & True Actinic combo. I will honestly say if the True Actinic is to close to your live rock. It will leave a muddy purple line across the top of it. You can see the darker purple line vs the rest of the live rock color. It was an eyesore. Those same light went from that 40B to now a 65g. The line is gone, because the light is more dispersed. Hope that helps.

IMG_20171118_012604.jpg

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big fan of the T5 lights. Yes it does not have the color pop or shimmer an LED gives. Where the T5 will give you less shadowing. Making it better for the under part of a coral or parts of coral that would be shadowed. T5 w/ the Reefbright combo would give you the best of both worlds. If you happen to choose T5s. I would highly recommend a ATI Blue+, Coral+, Blue+, & True Actinic combo. I will honestly say if the True Actinic is to close to your live rock. It will leave a muddy purple line across the top of it. You can see the darker purple line vs the rest of the live rock color. It was an eyesore. Those same light went from that 40B to now a 65g. The line is gone, because the light is more dispersed. Hope that helps.

IMG_20171118_012604.jpg
I've never notice that with the True Actinic bulb. That is good to know because I was going to try 2 of them in my 6 bulb fixture next time I change bulbs. I'll carefully take a look at that tomorrow and try to see the "muddy purple" line. I might change my mind in regards to have 2 of them and keep the same combo instead.
I've noticed new pigments on my zoas after I started using the True Actinic and that was the only thing changed in months.
Thanks for the observation!
Grandis.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never notice that with the True Actinic bulb. That is good to know because I was going to try 2 of them in my 6 bulb fixture next time I change bulbs. I'll carefully take a look at that tomorrow and try to see the "muddy purple" line. I might change my mind in regards to have 2 of them and keep the same combo instead.
I've noticed new pigments on my zoas after I started using the True Actinic and that was the only thing changed in months.
Thanks for the observation!
Grandis.
I have a zoa or paly that went from a white skirt and orange (the one in the middle)to gray skirt/hyper salmon mouth ever since I added a True Actinic. I will also say since the TA was added. The Zoas grow about 3-5 heads a month. Reefroids also being another help to that.

20161115_204454.jpg

IMG_20170315_153747.jpg

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a zoa or paly that went from a white skirt and orange (the one in the middle)to gray skirt/hyper salmon mouth ever since I added a True Actinic. I will also say since the TA was added. The Zoas grow about 3-5 heads a month. Reefroids also being another help to that.

20161115_204454.jpg

IMG_20170315_153747.jpg
Reef Roids are great!! My zoas love it too!
Some of my zoas changed after showing same colors for year, to brighter different morphs and colors like red and green were more vivid. Amazing what one bulb can do! I used to think the true Actinic was a waste of time and my review, based on my 8 bulb fixture, was the only negative one. I soon changed that review after giving another try and seeing the effects on pigmentation. True Actinic and Blue Plus are just great for PAR/some of the pigmentation.
I like that goby yo've got! They act like dogs!! So nice!
Thanks again!!
Grandis.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Roids are great!! My zoas love it too!
Some of my zoas changed after showing same colors for year, to brighter different morphs and colors like red and green were more vivid. Amazing what one bulb can do! I used to think the true Actinic was a waste of time and my review, based on my 8 bulb fixture, was the only negative one. I soon changed that review after giving another try and seeing the effects on pigmentation. True Actinic and Blue Plus are just great for PAR/some of the pigmentation.
I like that goby yo've got! They act like dogs!! So nice!
Thanks again!!
Grandis.
Haha yeah that goby is gone! Killed my swissguard basslet, red saddle back anthies, and attacked the spotted mandarin, grammica lined dartfish, wrasse, and tested the flame angel(bad idea).
Look up Tidal Gardens on YouTube. ATI T5 comparison 1 & 2. Than (the owner) gives the low down on all the combos. Part 2 does a game with you. Part 1 listen to how excited he was about the TA. With a person who has been in the hobby for a long time and see them get excited about something speaks volumes.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the deals going on and that will be going on I need to pick out a light for my innovative marine lagoon 25 because I want to make in an sps grow out tank. Should I do a prime HD with a reef brite? A Prime HD alone? A pair of T5 retrofits? I need your guys opinions.

Instead of going with a couple Prim HD's. Have you considered getting a more powerful LED fixture. You could get a Radion G4 or a GHL Mitras Lx7. YOu can scale it back for your needs and have a great light to build on as you may or may not expand. A black Friday deal on one would be your best bet. Just a though.

OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of going with a couple Prim HD's. Have you considered getting a more powerful LED fixture. You could get a Radion G4 or a GHL Mitras Lx7. YOu can scale it back for your needs and have a great light to build on as you may or may not expand. A black Friday deal on one would be your best bet. Just a though.

I already have a g4 I don’t want to spend $400 all at once for a single fixture. I’ve also had an ai 26 so I’m just seeing what you guys think.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yeah that goby is gone! Killed my swissguard basslet, red saddle back anthies, and attacked the spotted mandarin, grammica lined dartfish, wrasse, and tested the flame angel(bad idea).
Look up Tidal Gardens on YouTube. ATI T5 comparison 1 & 2. Than (the owner) gives the low down on all the combos. Part 2 does a game with you. Part 1 listen to how excited he was about the TA. With a person who has been in the hobby for a long time and see them get excited about something speaks volumes.
I lost my swissguard basslet to a power outage!!! Loved that fish!!! ;Wideyed
I know about those videos.
Thanks!!
Grandis.

John Gemmel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 led combo would definitely be my opinion! My kessil have a huge shadowing problem not that bad but bad lol.. I will be getting some t5s and use the Kissel to supplement

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a nanobox hybrid for I think $550 on here what would be perfect. But if you already have a g4 radion,just use that.

PAXpress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the ethereals by maxspect. Most likely one would be sufficient. Stunning light and I love mine so far.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back