What light would you choose for my frag tank

FL_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dimensions 36x24x10 inches deep. Will have a variety of soft, lps, and sps. Most corals will be around 6” deep.
Someone in my area has an AI Hydra 64hd brand new for a good price. Not sure if that is overkill since it’s not a deep tank.
Any suggestions on what might work best?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dimensions 36x24x10 inches deep. Will have a variety of soft, lps, and sps. Most corals will be around 6” deep.
Someone in my area has an AI Hydra 64hd brand new for a good price. Not sure if that is overkill since it’s not a deep tank.
Any suggestions on what might work best?
My frag tank is close to the same dimensions. I went Reef breeder photon.

With that kind of footprint you will likely be more interested in even spread than intensity.

OP
OP
F

FL_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My frag tank is close to the same dimensions. I went Reef breeder photon.

With that kind of footprint you will likely be more interested in even spread than intensity.
What model do you have? Someone had one for sale near me but I think it was the older model

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What model do you have? Someone had one for sale near me but I think it was the older model
V2 without the wireless mod. The schedule setup takes some time manually, but realistically, I don't change my lights often, so it's not a big deal. The spread is even and it will definitely grow coral.

OP
OP
F

FL_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
V2 without the wireless mod. The schedule setup takes some time manually, but realistically, I don't change my lights often, so it's not a big deal. The spread is even and it will definitely grow coral.
Ok thanks. Someone has the 32v2+and says it’s just under a year old for $400. I will consider that one. The hydra is brand new with a mount for $550 though

OP
OP
F

FL_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping for more opinions. I’m about to buy the ai hydra64 but not sure if it’s the right light due to the tank being so shallow. Any opinions on this?

Daftendire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the single hydra will provide the spread youre looking for in a 36x24x10. It's config is more for punching deeper than 10in. I have 3 ai primes spaced over a 36x12x12 to get decent coverage without crazy hot spots.

I think Adam from battlecorals uses the reefbreeders lights over his frag tanks. You could look at some of his content to see if that appeals to you.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would want more spread. I don't have any experience with the hydra 64, but I suspect it's designed for the same 24x24 or less that most fixtures are.

2x the 32 would be preferable, and depending on what you are hoping to grow 2x primes might work just as well.

The RB32 would be superior spread too, I haven't used it either, but they are well liked in the community.

OP
OP
F

FL_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the single hydra will provide the spread youre looking for in a 36x24x10. It's config is more for punching deeper than 10in. I have 3 ai primes spaced over a 36x12x12 to get decent coverage without crazy hot spots.

I think Adam from battlecorals uses the reefbreeders lights over his frag tanks. You could look at some of his content to see if that appeals to you.
Thank you. I was thinking the about ai primes. I’ll look at what you mentioned

OP
OP
F

FL_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would want more spread. I don't have any experience with the hydra 64, but I suspect it's designed for the same 24x24 or less that most fixtures are.

2x the 32 would be preferable, and depending on what you are hoping to grow 2x primes might work just as well.

The RB32 would be superior spread too, I haven't used it either, but they are well liked in the community.
Thanks. That’s the second recommendation for Reefbreeders. I may go with that. Was wanting to go with the hydra since it was such a good deal but kind of knew it wasn’t the right light. Wanted to hear it from others

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my Photon V2. As others have mentioned, spread is your main concern here. At that depth, almost any light will provide enough par, but coverage will be key.

OP
OP
F

FL_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks. That’s the second recommendation for Reefbreeders. I may go with that. Was wanting to go with the hydra since it was such a good deal but kind of knew it wasn’t the right light. Wanted to hear it from others
Love my Photon V2. As others have mentioned, spread is your main concern here. At that depth, almost any light will provide enough par, but coverage will be key.
Sounds good. I think I have the right light figured out now. Thanks all!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my 36x24x12 frag system running 3 16hds. Could not be happier.
20220503_114006.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back