What lighting do you prefer for viewing?

How do you prefer to view your tank?

• Total voters

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious what type of lighting everyone prefers to view their tanks under. I personally like the really blue actinic look but when I asked some friends the other day they prefer the 20k daylight look.

Take a minute to vote and explain if you feel like elaborating!

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started as a 10k guy, then went 12k, then 20k, then started running longer time periods of just actinics on. Recently went to a show where we used some LED's on the tank, and had my stuff under it with just the actinics on most of the day. That night, came home to my tanks and kept trying to turn off my daylights- only the actinics were on, but the comparison was just that extreme! So for now- i run my tanks with actinics on for most all of the day, if not the entirety of it, with the daylights coming on for short periods of time. Eventual plan is to get some LEDs on my LPS/Zoa tanks, with a 3-1 ratio of 'actinic' spectrum to daylight spectrum bulbs.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put 20k since I do like how my day time lights look which is more natural. I have a radium and my tank looks great but there is nothing like blue actinic LEDs!! Just for show.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't stand the ultra blue tanks personally. Its nice to view coral under, and nice for vendors to sell "super colored" coral, but for a display tank, I'm a 12-14k person. Looks much more natural...

Billgax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soon as I figure out polling w/Tapatalk, I'll vote 14k. Turning the blues on for kicks is great... but if it doesn't look good under 12-14k... not sure I want it.
Afterall, laundry detergent, pet stains and "other things" look florescent under similar lighting to what some vendors photograph under...

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious, for those of you voting for the less blue lighting if you're more into SPS or LPS? I could see people who are into SPS more enjoying a less blue look and those who keep more LPS enjoying the blue look. Maybe I'm crazy?

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious, for those of you voting for the less blue lighting if you're more into SPS or LPS? I could see people who are into SPS more enjoying a less blue look and those who keep more LPS enjoying the blue look. Maybe I'm crazy?

I've always been into SPS, so a 12-14k look was perfect for me. However, on my new FO tank, I'm sticking with the 10-12K probably, with a bunch of actinics for a night time effect.

Interesting concept though for sure....great question.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't stand the ultra blue tanks personally. Its nice to view coral under, and nice for vendors to sell "super colored" coral, but for a display tank, I'm a 12-14k person. Looks much more natural...

+1 couldn't have said it any better!

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My tank is a mix of a few LPS, SPS and zoas. My Radium 20K isnt as blue as some other 20K bulbs so i feel it is perfect!

Der ABT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think 20k radiums are some of the best bulbs for color and growth out there (just not price), ive had some 14ks that are the same hue or there about but still the radiums ive had the best growth and especially color.
other 20ks ive tried i thought were too blue and just couldnt deal with the (i think it was aquamaxx and one other)
14k isnt terrible and i have it over my frag tank but the color. i took a colony out of my main (green psammacorra) to frag and had one frag back under the 20k for about 3 weeks, and when compared to the others that were left in the 14k light for 3 weeks it was an obvious difference in color when i put them next to each other in the 14k light.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the 14,000K lighting for general viewing, but I also like to see it under actinics every once in a while. Also, daylight is around 6,500K, not 20,000K!

CJ

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, if I had been asked this a couple years ago I would have said 10K, then later on 14K, and now... years later I want my tank to be more 20K. My next set of bulbs will probably reflect.. we'll see. But for now I like my tank best with... moonlights! The colors pop hard and the rest of the tank is not focused yet remains mysterious. It's just my favorite viewing time after the day is over. :)

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the 14k look of the LED as well. I've been thinking about LED on my new tank, just not sure yet.

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a fan of the other worldly blue and like a more natural light with some pop to it. I am new so this is novel, but checking out the difference in my lighting when I just have the daylights on to when I have the actinics mixed and just actinics is so fun!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back