What Live food do you think is easiest to culture for your Reef aquarium?

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rotifers are hands down one of the best direct live food sources due to the structure of the body of the rotifer and how much it can be enriched . Unfortunately they don't do well breeding in home reef tanks most just get sucked into the filters this is why I only recommend them as I direct feed source

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was thinking phyto... but pods can be cultured in tank with a fuge.

Wicket30

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on white worms. I also just got a brine shrimp hatchery dish, super easy and started feeding after 18 hours and it lasts a few days before a recharge.

reefruss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed baby brine and I grow out brine to adults. It's easy in hyper saline waters (~60 ppt). I feed it spirulina powder all day long via dosing pumps.

Megability

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately they don't do well breeding in home reef tanks most just get sucked into the filters…
Is that because they are mostly free-swimming? I just introduced some to a new tank without any filters yet, will they maybe reproduce -well until I start filtering?

ultraArcite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been growing copepods for a while in a standalone tank and was wondering, what is the easiest live food to culture?
I was thinking maybe Brine shrimp might be easiest but was wondering what people think.
I've been feeding live baby brine shrimp; not only is it easy, but my fish love it.

Here are the guides I used to get started:
Text Guide
Video Guide

OP
OP
reefsaver

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your replies, White worm is new to me and sounds interesting. I'd like to set up a couple simple cultures adding some variety/diversity in diet without having to worry about the culture crashing all the time.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find grindals easier than white worms simply because they don’t need it as cool. Many have to keep white worms in the fridge because they produce better. Grindals are slightly larger though. Great food for juvies. I’m also doing peanut beetles. I’m not sure how the reef fish will take to those… but pretty simple so far. (You feed the larvae)

Wicket30

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find grindals easier than white worms simply because they don’t need it as cool. Many have to keep white worms in the fridge because they produce better. Grindals are slightly larger though. Great food for juvies. I’m also doing peanut beetles. I’m not sure how the reef fish will take to those… but pretty simple so far. (You feed the larvae)
Interesting, I just keep them in my basement, but not everyone has that option.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that because they are mostly free-swimming? I just introduced some to a new tank without any filters yet, will they maybe reproduce -well until I start filtering?
Yeah they pretty much just float no movement so the majority and up in filter and skimmer to decompose. They need a special environment to breed with dense phyto populations. They aren't ment to reproduce in a reef aquarium

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hatching brine shrimp eggs is very easy for anyone

Some 40 years ago, when I first got into saltwater, I tried hatching brine shrimp eggs. I was actually quite successful. The problem was keeping them alive to a near juvenile stage. Reading up on available literature back then, it was recommended to keep them chilled and use baker's yeast as food. I have no idea what the professional recommendations are now

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back