What magnification for dino ID?

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After researching my algae issue, I found I have dinos. I will need to look at them under a microscope to ID them. From what I read ID is important because the best treatment depends heavily on which type you have. So I have a few questions I hope you all can help me with.

1) What magnification do I need?
2) Does anyone recommend an inexpensive scope, possibly off of Amazon?
3) Any good sources for aiding in ID?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't belive treatment depends on species.

Cleaning, manual removal, healthful feeding of the fish and coral, and maintaining a good ph during treatment.

Manual removal can include or combine , siphon, canister filters/reactor , UV , peroxide treatment , ozone .

OP
OP
Bret Brinkmann

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking through that thread the answer appears to be 100x. I didn't notice that in the first post but it would be helpful if it was added. There is a ton of info to read through but I am working my way through it.

Treatment does look like it depends on the species. Some will go into the water column allowing for a UV sterilizer to be effective and some will stay in the sand bed reducing the effectiveness of hydrogen peroxide. Some are phototrophic so going dark will work, some are heterotrophic so going dark won't work but controlling their food source may, and some are mixotrophic so neither is likely to work.

I almost bought a UV sterilizer before ID'ing these things. I'm going to hold off until I know it is a species that it will work on. I don't have any fish just inverts at the moment. My pH is 8.0 but from what I read they are only sensitive to pH outside the range of what most people are going to maintain.

Manual removal isn't a problem for me. The problem is the rate at which it grows back and that it grows on almost everything, including my macroalgae. I'm cleaning algae off of my algae... Well maybe dinos aren't algae, but still...

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got the link to the cheap toy microscope and the rest though, correct? There are no magnification options in that case....they're all 400/800/1200 or whatever, and they work pretty well, all things considered! :D

Selecting a microscope has some more specific info on microscopes, if you didn't check that one out yet.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize this is an old post but does a microscope Id diatoms or cyano? I have something growing and I have done the paper towel/coffee filter test for dino's and I have passed it about 4 times. It clumps on the sand bed and grows like a mat and when I try to syphon its to slimy to be picked up by the syphon type water change hose or vacuum. It is the only way you can tell its slimy because it dosnt look slimy by sight.

I have tried chemiclean to no avail. But did seem to work in small tank (its in both of my tanks) but after the water change it started coming back. I did remove almost all manually but generally it will be back the next day when I do that but it stayed away the whole time the treatment was in there! Baffling! What the heck could that mean?

Also, I wanted to know a quicker way to manually remove other than a turkey baster. I have seen people suck algae off rocks with a hose ect obviously its hooked up to something that can pull it in and not clog it. Is that what a marineland 1200 is for? I think I have one somewhere and its says it can be used 3 ways. Wavemaker a pump, and utility. I also have a canister filter I never used that came with an aquarium. I would like to start removing manually but takes for ever with a turkey baster.

I am also going to order a microscope to see if I can figure it out! One more question. How much peroxide can I dose safely? I have been dosing mb& and Vibrant as well. Hasnt really done anything but I do notice my GHA getting easier to pull off!

I would appreciate any advise. Sorry so many questions. I got carried away! I stated to just ask about the microscope but just kept on! haha LOL

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back