What make you become a real reefer?

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of my friends set up a system that only had one zoa frag and i was hooked immediately lol.
After 30 years of freshwater fish tanks i remember using the analogy "its like the difference between 2005 cable tv and modern day HD."

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nicerreefs

Nicerreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of my friends set up a system that only had one zoa frag and i was hooked immediately lol.
After 30 years of freshwater fish tanks i remember using the analogy "its like the difference between 2005 cable tv and modern day HD."
We feel ya! Or.. euphyllia?
Saltwater is definitely the vhs rewinder back in the day. Exciting. New. Allowing you to go make more trips to blockbuster.

Upvote 0

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When we were dating, my wife was given a fish only setup and when she had issues with it, I started looking online on how to solve them. That was back in 2004 I think. That lead to me purchasing my first saltwater setup; a SeaClear 40 gallon all-in-one.
I'd all ways been interested since I first saw saltwater setups in the local pet store as a kid back in the early 80's when they all had the bleached white coral skeletons.

Upvote 0

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dad was an old school reefer (I think he started in the 1980s?) so I grew up around it, but wasn't really that interested in it as a kid. Then about 10 years ago in my mid-20's I got into it myself. After a 5 years or so, I drifted away from it due to life, kids, and other hobbies taking priority. The past year I picked it up back up again and have really been enjoying it with much better success my second time around.

Upvote 0

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was a youth it was having something different. Now 25 years later, it’s the science and finding the balance between efficiency and glamour.
Learning, seeing, and understanding what is happening in the box.
And inspiring my kids to ask questions and get involved is another reward.

Upvote 0

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This.

MauiReef.jpg

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s always been a love for me to study the ocean and I grew up around reef tanks so I now study my own piece of the ocean. No really amazing way of me getting into the hobby, mainly just my love for our oceans (Hoping to get a degree in marine biology eventually).

Also, photos of true reef edges and reefs have intruiged me.

Upvote 0

Glammers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have always loved science and the ocean. Being able to bring a tiny piece of that into my home was very exciting to me. I was out of the hobby for quite a few years but now that my kids can enjoy it with me, it was a no brainer but to come back.

Upvote 0

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you break down and quit an take a break for awhile and you take all your Livestock to the lfs to get 10% in store credit and they give you $220. Lol.
So I have $2k in Livestock at the time? Lol.
Or when your tank and stand are worth a small car or truck.
D

Upvote 0

dcsorrell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some friends called, said, "Get out your tank, we're coming over with live sand and a bucket of saltwater. They brought it over, put it in, mixed more saltwater, made sure my filter and heater were set correctly. Two weeks later, we went shopping for live rock. This was really, truly live sand, with critters in it! I was hooked even before we went shopping for rock.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back