Discussion in 'Chaos Aquaculture' started by ChaosAquaculture, Apr 24, 2019.

What Makes a Bounce Mushroom Coral so Special?

What’s Makes a Bounce Mushroom Coral so Special? They’ve bounced their way into the hearts of reef aquarium hobbyists and coral lovers all over...
By ChaosAquaculture, Apr 24, 2019 | |
  1. ChaosAquaculture

ChaosAquaculture Specializing in the Ridiculous R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor Sizzling Summer Sponsor

Check out the article on our website: https://chaosaquaculture.com/whats-makes-a-bounce-mushroom-coral-so-special/

What’s Makes a Bounce Mushroom Coral so Special?

They’ve bounced their way into the hearts of reef aquarium hobbyists and coral lovers all over the world. And who can blame the recipients and seekers of these beautiful additions?

After all, bounce mushroom corals have so much to offer everyone: divers, researchers, enthusiasts and more.

But what’s all the hype about? We’ll walk you through the underwater world of the bounce mushroom coral here so you understand exactly why you need one in your aquarium.

Bounce Mushroom Coral, Meet World
    [​IMG]At first glance, any beginning collector might stop and wonder why someone would want such a strange coral.

Because bounce mushroom corals are strange.

But the truth of the matter is, most people won’t be able to appreciate these marine species until they know more about them.

The Mystery
    The most important notion to understand about a bounce mushroom coral is that it’s a little mysterious.

We know they start out as Rhodactis coral, a furry mushroom coral found mostly in the Indo-Pacific. What we don’t know is exactly what prompts Rhodactis corals to enlarge the polyp tissue, creating the bouncy “bubbles” we adore.

Most researchers believe the enlargement is due to irregular lighting and water conditions not commonly found in nature. With advents in aquarium lighting, this theory is plausible.

Either way, the mysteriousness of the coral makes it all the more sought after.

Rarity
    It’s no secret that limited editions garner consumer interest. Marketers use this method, which is called scarcity marketing, to sell items.

Not only does it draw attention and make that item even rarer but it also increases the desire for that item. OnePlus mobile phones, for instance, sold a million smartphones without a physical store.

Apply this concept to the marine world and you have immediate intrigue.

Such is the story of the bounce mushroom. These corals are very rare in the wild, adding to the speculation that aquarium settings induce the enlargement process.

In the ocean, the Rhodactis demonstrate little bubble formation. Divers must look for these corals with hopes they will flourish into bounce mushrooms.

So there isn’t someone behind the wheel only making a few hundred to sell at exorbitant prices; at the moment, mother nature doesn’t create enough for the demand.

Shrouded in mystery and naturally rare? Can you already understand the hype? But there’s more to the story than even these factors.

Value
    Because bounce mushrooms are rare and because no one’s positive about their creation methods yet, it’s natural for the price of these corals to skyrocket.

In fact, to date, these corals are the “single most expensive coral polyps ever sold in the aquarium hobby.” One polyp of some variations runs for up to $10,000.

By far, the most sought-after type is the OG Bounce Mushroom, which produces vibrant orange “bubbles” overtop a purple and green base.

Ease of Care
    Bounce mushroom corals are excellent for beginner or professional aquarists.

These creatures don’t require too much looking after.

Place your bounce mushroom towards the bottom of the tank. Set your PAR lights to 75 to 150.

Aside from this, there isn’t much else to worry about. Bounce mushrooms handle a variety of water parameters and don’t require feeding. Sticking with the basic maintenance is enough to keep them happy.

Furthermore, they play nicely with other aquarium residents. Owners don’t have to worry about one type competing with the other. Fish also don’t find these type of corals delectable, so death at the hands of our hungry friends isn’t a worry.

In fact, leaving mushroom corals alone is usually enough to let them thrive and, possibly, promote budding.

Propagation Abilities
    If you’re considering propagating, bounce mushrooms are ideal. The easiest method to create more of these beauties is through fragging.

Take a scalpel and cut through the coral in one straight line to create two pieces. It’s suggested owners leave a small piece of the oral cavity in each frag, so try cutting through the mouth.

These critters can take the fragging process without much harm. They usually bounce back (pun intended) within days.

In addition to having outside help, these corals may reproduce without aid.

One method involves pedal laceration.

During pedal laceration, the coral moves away from the initial area. As it does so, it breaks off part of its pedal and leaves the segment behind. That segment becomes another coral.

The second method is fission. During this process, the coral splits into two or more colonies.

Variety of Types
    Luckily for collectors and enthusiasts, the wide variety of types means there’s something for everyone.

Not every flavor of bounce shroom is faint-worthy expensive. In fact, many offer beautiful additions to the aquarium at affordable prices. [​IMG]

One of the most dazzling types on the market is the Gonzo Golden Dragon Mushroom. It offers a pink and purple backdrop with golden polyps. The gold contrasts with the multi-colored bubbles, which can appear pink, purple or aqua.

This is yours for only $170.

Another viable option is the Sunkist Bounce Mushroom. It comes in a variety of vibrant colors.

Regardless of funds, there’s a bounce mushroom on the market to meet your budget.

Aesthetics
    Of course, one of the main reasons people are drawn to these corals is their fun and beautiful nature.

The bubbles add an air of playfulness to your aquarium and create a dash of color. Because of this, bounce mushrooms offer fantastic centerpieces.

On top of the fun nature is the sheer volume of possibilities. Collectors can purchase corals of almost every color: orange, blue, yellow, green, pink and more.

The Neptune Bounce Mushroom even has sandy-colored bubbles set in a blue base.

The options in your tank are endless, and every enthusiast can find a bounce mushroom to fit into his or her aquarium.

Where Can I Meet My Coral?
    There are several reasons hobbyists are flocking to the bounce mushroom coral. And those reasons have less to do with a new trend and more to do with the incredible characteristics that make up these species.

Are you ready to add one to your aquarium?

If so, browse our collection of mushroom coral and find the perfect addition for your underwater world.

By chaosaquaculture|April 15th, 2019|Soft Corals, Mushroom Corals|0 Comments
    Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!
    FacebookTwitterLinkedInRedditGoogle+TumblrPinterest

About the Author: chaosaquaculture

[​IMG]

CONTACT US
    Wellington, FL 33414

Phone: 877-315-7711

Email: Send us your questions!

Web: Chaos Aquaculture

WHERE WE ARE TRENDING….

zoaplug, FLAdaboy, Gnomie and 2 others like this.

2. lilfish717

lilfish717 Well-Known Member

I like them but people that buy them at ridiculous prices... Well Nevermind I don't want to be rude. Let me just say they aren't worth that much imo just because they have a bubble. I won't buy one at their prices right now. A little bubble should make 1 polyp cost hundreds. Look at "regular" ricordea. They all look like bubbles,but thousands. And look way cooler for way less. My opinion tho. I'm not being rude. People like what they like. I like what I like and you like what you like. But imo people are letting these sellers get over on them at prices like that on these shroom.

3. ChaosAquaculture

ChaosAquaculture Specializing in the Ridiculous R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor Sizzling Summer Sponsor

apologize in advance but i have to go ahead and disagree with you. markets are driven by supply and demand and it turns out there is a huge demand for these mutations and since they aren't readily produced in the wild, it in turn drives up price. That being said I dont know anyone buying bounce mushrooms without wanting to do it and it being something they are comfortable paying for. Always appreciate feedback and your entitled to your opinion but its just that will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Donut King, TexasTodd and MnFish1 like this.
  4. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Excellent article!! This is great!!

EHerbert, Darbna and ChaosAquaculture like this.
  5. ChaosAquaculture

Thank you. We love bounce mushrooms what can I say.

mdbannister likes this.
  6. MnFish1

MnFish1 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

I like the article - and I appreciate your point of view. Something is worth only what someone else will pay for it. That said (don't get me wrong here) - I wish - that articles reflected not just an advertisement for what you're selling and justifying the price (IMHO you dont need to - if someone will pay 10,000$ for a polyp more power to them). This reads more like an advertisement for your business....

Personally - I never knew what a bounce mushroom is/was - and so I appreciate your information. I wouldn't ever have one in my tank - its just not my aesthetic. I wish you would post pictures of them in different lights. The colors are certainly impressive under 'blue' 'fluorescence' but - in my tank my guess is they would look nothing like your pictures. (or tell me differently)?

7. Darbna

Darbna Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor

All of our coral are shot under full spectrum lighting. Never jst blue. And this article is from our website so yes it is promoting Chaos but is also meant to be informative. Hope you got something out of it.

TexasTodd, MnFish1 and mdbannister like this.
  8. ChaosAquaculture

20190321-_DSC0006-4.jpg _DSC0219.jpg _DSC0257.jpg _DSC0182.jpg _DSC0133.jpg 20190207-_DSC0030-3.jpg 20190314-_DSC0021-4.jpg 20190314-_DSC0014-4.jpg 20190329-_DSC0037-4.jpg 20190326-_DSC0032-4.jpg Chaos Side Piece .jpg

JustDewwit and MnFish1 like this.
  9. MnFish1

MnFish1 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

Thanks - I guess I meant under 'sunlight-type' conditions. It would be interesting to see... And yes definitely - I did get something out of it - Frankly - I (personally) dont care for them - I prefer the natural rodactis. BUT - I can easily see how people love these :). Kudos for selecting them....

10. ReefyB

ReefyB Active Member Partner Member 2019

I like the orange colored ones, because of the high contrast in colors, but they’ve always been more than what I’d want to pay for the tiny frag that’s offered. $500+ for a sliver... I’d MUCH rather spend that on adding another holy grail or Aussie gold torch to the garden, or many other coral options really.. I mean at the end of the day, it’s still just a shroom. Some look cool though, so if/when the prices come down or I find one at a swap I’ll probably pick one up.

Darbna, TexasTodd and MnFish1 like this.
  11. MnFish1

At leasat - with the Indonesian ban now supposedly coming to an end - you'll have that opportunity - at a lower price:)

ReefWithCare, BryanD and ReefyB like this.
  12. ReeferSamster

ReeferSamster Member

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Its all subjective. I get it Chaos Aquaculture, you are in the business to drive up the demand for these little mushrooms. In my opinion, way overpriced.
    Sure they are cute, but in my opinion, not worth half the amount of dollar value placed on them.

I mean, really, what are they? They're little cute colorful mushrooms. Tiny mushroom softie corals with random oversized polyps. Probably won't even be noticed at first glance in my 4 foot long reef tank with larger, more colorful corals.

I'd rather spend triple digits on rainbow wilsonis like these.

But again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Its subjective, and you have an ulterior motive to drive up demand.

In my opinion, these are way overpriced for such small, simple corals that are easily fragged and grown. Its just the hype and a trend.

This is not the direction the reefing hobby should be headed, IMHO.

But again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And this is only my opinion. But if anyone can pick up one advice: Don't buy these little mushrooms for hundreds or even thousands of dollars just for the trend or the hype. Its a trend, most likely that will drop soon as we frag them more and more, eventually they will go down in price once the hype has died down a little. Its really not a big deal.

They're just little mushrooms with random oversized polyps.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....Beauty should never be in the eye of the hype or trend...Thats not beauty. Thats just business. To get as much money from you as possible.

Rainbow_Symphyllia_Wilsoni_4_C95_-_488_720x.png

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    Waters, BryanD, FishDoc and 1 other person like this.
  13. Darbna

To each there own on what we all like about these coral no matter what it is that rings your bell. But just like wellsoni, price is driven by the consumer, demand, and supply. No way in and shape would I have the ability to drive markets on coral. They are priceless to some amd to others they aren’t worth anything. I happen to love bounce mushrooms and have spent several thousand on a single Shroom for my personal display at home. But I want it to be clear I’m not “in the business to drive up the price” on anything. I appreciate your feedback, just felt it was important to lay that out there.

mdbannister, TexasTodd and MnFish1 like this.
  14. MnFish1

Im only curious is this an article - or an advertisement *not your post - but the OP. On one hand its certainly educational - I didnt know what a bounce mushroom is/was. So appreciated. Beauty is often 'hyped' in the form of business or? Would you go out 'on your own' and buy a Jackson Pollock - or when he was starting out - a Picasso? Perhaps not - but perhaps marketing made people appreciate those artists - I guess I view these coral the same way (PS - I'm not a fan). Though - LOL I do like the picture you posted - if its larger than a fist size:)

GoatmealJones likes this.
  15. ReeferSamster

ReeferSamster Member

You don't spend thousands on a single shroom. You are selling them on your website for 3 digits. So you buy them for thousands and sell them for hundreds? You're not making sense.

Chaos: You sell them. Obviously this thread is to promote the hype for your business.
    I went to your website and looked at your bounce mushrooms. Those prices are ridiculous. For tiny softie mushrooms? Some people might want it, but I urge everyone to remember, once these get fragged more and more, they will drop in price. This is all business advertisement.

Its a hype. Its trending. And you are trying to assist that momentum so you can have more business. It was clear as soon as I saw this thread.

The reef hobby is facing enough challenges with CITES, protestors of what what we do, and the dying of our oceans, aquaculturing as much as we can to save this hobby. Hyping up tiny corals for ludicrous profit is counterproductive to our hobby at such a tenacious phase at this time.

ReefWithCare likes this.
  16. ReefAddict0887

ReefAddict0887 Member

Wow so much hate if you can’t get one or think it’s stupid just move on don’t bash someone’s business page with negative remarks anywayyy here is a picture of my stupid overpriced coral enjoy
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. MnFish1

I didnt realize this was 'their page' I thought this was an article for discussion. BTW - I like the color of your mushroom:). Just for the sake of comment - we tend to use the word 'hate' quite a bit lately - when in reality - no one that I have read has expressed anything close to 'hate' here.

mdbannister, BryanD and TexasTodd like this.
  18. ReefAddict0887

ReefAddict0887 Member

Well it’s named as their business name that’s what I was getting at but I just don’t get all the negativity that’s all I’m saying and thanks I guess although I’m not sure if you’re being sarcastic or actually complementing the shroom haha the pic with the hermit is edited a bit to intensify coloring but the other two pics are just regular iPhone X pics in mid day lighting no editing with hydra 26 hd

MnFish1 likes this.
  19. Darbna

Say what you will but I did jst spend almost 3k on one for my display at home and a few thousand more on a couple I bought at RAP. Yes I want to promote my business and apparently you are not a fan of that. It’s all good sir. You may carry on. I am a hobbiest first and appreciate amazing looking coral when I see it and I have a very long customer base that have nothing but good things to say about their experience. The shrooms or coral that I buy for me outside our farm are jst that for me. Not for sale so I apologize if I didn’t make that clearer for you but I wish you the best and happy reefing. Statements like “hyping up” tiny coral or the hostility your exhibiting are what push allot of newcomers away. People do this as a means to relax, connect amd for nothing else than sheer appreciation. If your not ok with the “market cost” of bounce mushrooms I don’t know what to tell you Other than happy reefing

20. ReeferSamster

ReeferSamster Member

"Newcomers" should not be spending thousands on tiny mushrooms like this.

Being OK or not OK with the "market cost" of bounce mushrooms is not the point. All I'm saying, especially to the newcomers, is welcome and start simple. You will make mistakes. You don't have to spend thousands to get started in this great hobby. You don't have to follow the hype.

Patience.

Just have patience. I guarantee. Once these get fragged enough and enough supply enters, they will be a fraction of their price. Meanwhile, to the newcomers, you can learn the ropes with less costly of a risk. That is just being wise. Telling a newcomer to buy quarter sized coral for hundreds or thousands of dollars is bad advice. In fact, its the advice of someone who is not interested in the welfare of the progress of your hobby, it is the advice of someone who wants as much money from you as possible.

Ranjib, BryanD and MnFish1 like this.