What makes a great nano/pico tank? What are some of your favorites?

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know a 35G tank is considered Nano. What is official NanoTank size range?

Anyway here is my small 35G Reef Tank.

FragTank-April-2022-Berghia_ApatasiaWipeOut.jpg

The 35G was originally meant be a Frag Tank. I had no way to hook it up to DT so I designed the tank with a built in mini filtration compartment (top left)

2018-01-06_FragTank-3.jpg

The filter compartment was eventually turned into a Mini Algae Scrubber adding a Red LED strip. Just grow s cheato.

The Frag tank didn't do well after a few attempts. I think it was lack of nutrients (ie no fish). I did try feeding corals but it seems I fed Algae and Cyano more.

2019-07-13-FragTankLeftOvers.jpg

The when I upgraded my 65 Gallon Tank system to 110G I used the old 65G to convert it into a stand, and also to be used as a water reservoir for mix salt water. Reservoir was for a 3-Tank Auto-Water-Changer for the 35, a 90G and a 110G.
2019-04-14_NewFragTankWithStand.jpg

Filled the 35 with hand-me-down live rocks and corals from a fellow reefer shutting down his system.

Frag-Tank-RocksandCorals.jpg

Took a few months to work on a major Aiptasia problem. Solved by Berghia, and then things clicked.

FragTank-April-2022-Berghia_ApatasiaWipeOut-TopView.jpg

It's also home a new small very friendly fish..... a Green Clown Goby who really enjoys the Puffy Green Trumpets.

2022-04-29_GreenClownGoby.jpg

What I've learned a shallow or small tank is way easier to maintan that a larger and deeper tank. Key for success I believe is easy access, daily auto water changes (and a few small fish).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know a 35G tank is considered Nano. What is official NanoTank size range?

Anyway here is my small 35G Reef Tank.

FragTank-April-2022-Berghia_ApatasiaWipeOut.jpg

The 35G was originally meant be a Frag Tank. I had no way to hook it up to DT so I designed the tank with a built in mini filtration compartment (top left)

2018-01-06_FragTank-3.jpg

The filter compartment was eventually turned into a Mini Algae Scrubber adding a Red LED strip. Just grow s cheato.

The Frag tank didn't do well after a few attempts. I think it was lack of nutrients (ie no fish). I did try feeding corals but it seems I fed Algae and Cyano more.

2019-07-13-FragTankLeftOvers.jpg

The when I upgraded my 65 Gallon Tank system to 110G I used the old 65G to convert it into a stand, and also to be used as a water reservoir for mix salt water. Reservoir was for a 3-Tank Auto-Water-Changer for the 35, a 90G and a 110G.
2019-04-14_NewFragTankWithStand.jpg

Filled the 35 with hand-me-down live rocks and corals from a fellow reefer shutting down his system.

Frag-Tank-RocksandCorals.jpg

Took a few months to work on a major Aiptasia problem. Solved by Berghia, and then things clicked.

FragTank-April-2022-Berghia_ApatasiaWipeOut-TopView.jpg

It's also home a new small very friendly fish..... a Green Clown Goby who really enjoys the Puffy Green Trumpets.

2022-04-29_GreenClownGoby.jpg

What I've learned a shallow or small tank is way easier to maintan that a larger and deeper tank. Key for success I believe is easy access, daily auto water changes (and a few small fish).
Those trumpets are beautiful, how old are they?

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those trumpets are beautiful, how old are they?
I gave my brother in law 1 trumpet 3 or 4 years ago. They did split a lot in his tank but were very pale since he stopped having fish for about 2 years before shutting down his tank and giving me his trumpets. I got them all colored up and super healthy in the 35G in about 6 Months. Day 0 is seen in 5th photo of my post. Today is 1st photo and last two photos. All started from the single trumpet head.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave my brother in law 1 trumpet 3 or 4 years ago. They did split a lot in his tank but were very pale since he stopped having fish for about 2 years before shutting down his tank and giving me his trumpets. I got them all colored up and super healthy in the 35G in about 6 Months. Day 0 is seen in 5th photo of my post. Today is 1st photo and last two photos. All started from the single trumpet head.
Man, they’re stunning! I’ve had my caulastrea for 2-3 months and it’s not showing the nice rigged outlines during lights on.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, they’re stunning! I’ve had my caulastrea for 2-3 months and it’s not showing the nice rigged outlines during lights on.
They seem to like frequent water changes (ie clean water) and medium-Low lighting. Flow doesn't seem to matter since I've had low to medium-high. Flow is somewhat direct and they don't care. I've cut a few and put them into my dirtier Mix tank and they don't look as great. Start fading. They only seem to get better after water changes in that tank. In that tank I only change the water once a month and right after the water change they perk up. The 35G without Skimmer, no carbon, just and limited filtration get a 500ml or 0.13 Gal water change daily. Same salinity. I don't test N&P in either tanks. The only thing I monitor is Alk & Salnity and keep both stable.

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week we're all about nano/pico tanks!! Let's have some great conversations about these small tanks of greatness! Here are a few questions for our discussion.
  1. What do you like about nano/pico tanks?
  2. What makes a great nano/pico tank (what separates the average from the exceptional)?
  3. What are some of your favorite nano/pico tanks? (feel free to show pictures, tag owners, link threads...:))
One of my favorites by @eschulist!

I love my IM 30 long. So easy to take care of. Change filter floss every other day. Hand dose AFR, water change twice a month. Fill the ATO about once a week, it’s shared with the IM 14 peninsula.

Attachments

• 8470E96C-0590-42DC-9DE7-E55F7822A3FC.jpeg
    8470E96C-0590-42DC-9DE7-E55F7822A3FC.jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 62
  • BE2582E4-F7CE-4F69-AB62-D9FCE329FFDC.jpeg
    BE2582E4-F7CE-4F69-AB62-D9FCE329FFDC.jpeg
    178.9 KB · Views: 67

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my IM 30 long. So easy to take care of. Change filter floss every other day. Hand dose AFR, water change twice a month. Fill the ATO about once a week, it’s shared with the IM 14 peninsula.
Both of your tanks are beautiful!

SecondCityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this site, thank you so much for all you do. Hey, just a quick question. How do I unsubscribe from these threads showing up in my notifications? Thanks!

The Ginga Ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week we're all about nano/pico tanks!! Let's have some great conversations about these small tanks of greatness! Here are a few questions for our discussion.
  1. What do you like about nano/pico tanks?
  2. What makes a great nano/pico tank (what separates the average from the exceptional)?
  3. What are some of your favorite nano/pico tanks? (feel free to show pictures, tag owners, link threads...:))
One of my favorites by @eschulist!

I love Pico's because just a few frags of coral goes a long way in giving you that "full reef" look.

I think the compactness of the reef make nanos and picos unique. Just a tiny cube of the ocean.

And I'm biast, like we all are, but I take pride in my own :) Our reef's become our favorites because we experienced the journey. Here's mine:

GobyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picos are great because you can scrape the glass and do a 50% waterchange in about 5 minutes.

the biggest hassle I have with my pico is remembering to swap out the ato bottle every 3 days with a fresh bottle full of Kalkwasser so it doesn’t run dry
What bottle ato do you use on your pico?

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What bottle ato do you use on your pico?
I just use a 100oz bottle off amazon that sits under my desk, I drilled a small hole through the top cap for a piece of air line tubing. The “ato” I use is just a kamoer x1 dosing pump. I figured my evaporation rate by adding the water manually for 2 weeks and measured the amount added daily in ml, figured out the daily average, then reduced it by about 10% so I have to give a slight manual top off maybe once a week if that.

The container I use, id like a bigger one but this one fits perfect in the space I have for it

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sizing correlates to the Display tank. As long as it's 15.4L in the Display or less it's a Pico. And if the system has a Sump that's 1000 liters, it's still a Pico tank. That's how I define a Pico anyway. Anything above the 15.4 you're in Nano territory. It's hard to figure out the distillation between a standard sized reef and a Nano sometimes I find. But I would say from 30G upwards is more a standard size. I think if you jumped into any kind of fresh or saltwater hobby and you heard that a 30 Gallon or 136 Liter aquarium was considered a Nano you would head tilt like a puppy in confusion.

SuperDave531

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my little micro in my little office that keeps me company at night ^_^
It has a total water volume of 0.3g or 40oz. I've had it running since Feb of 2022 and It's always changing depending on how I like it to look. I'm pretty content with it at the moment. Just waiting for the zoas to grow out...

Enjoy!

IMG_9910.jpg
IMG_9989.jpg
IMG_9908.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back