What makes Nyos skimmers so great?

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy to clean but they have their issus. I have the 160 & Ecotec has replaced the pump 4 times (at no cost to me thankfully) due an issue with it not pulling air upon starting after it being cleaned a few times. it's a known issue & the easiest way to fix it is just blow into the air control hose that come with it. I'd like to get a new/other kind but wont until it quits completely.

Moscar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes those Nyos skimmers so great?
120 Nyos
Quality build from a free and democratic country know for fanatical pursuit of quality.
Ablity to restrict the air flow to match the demand of the tank.
AC pump - very quiet and more reliable than a DC silent pump.
I run a sock or pad to keep chunks out of the impeller.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All great reply’s. I don’t have experience with other skimmers. I do like the adjustable air screw and think they are nice skimmers but they do have their quirks like not sucking air at start up or they seem to use 60 watts power.
Next won’t be a nyos but most likely a deltec dc

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Nyos 120 and while it’s a great skimmer there are many other skimmers that do just as good of a job for a little more than half the price.

Also, when you compare it to similarly priced skimmers, you’ll find that it is lacking in features.

Other skimmers at this price point have DC pumps, float stops, neck cleaners, etc...

If I could go with something else then I’d spend the extra $100 on a Reef Octopus Regal 150 int.

At $500 it comes with an External Varios 2 DC pump that allows you to adjust and maximize both air draw and water draw for the best control. Also because it’s externalit makes servicing the pump way easier and opens up more room inside the skimmer body for bubble volume. Flat valve to turn it off if the skimmer cup gets full.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess people like them because they look nice, but I agree with the above. An Octo Classic will do the same job for much less, and if you want to spend the same money you can get a much nicer Octo.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back