What makes you choose/prefer saltwater over freshwater?

Steven777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm not sure if this post belongs to the right section, if it isn't please move it.

I've been doing FW for 5 years and recently tried SW. I'm still keeping my FW tank but mainly investing into SW now. For me SW is much more interesting, not only because of the beauty of the animals (which is subjective I guess?), but because how weird and interesting they are, like the clownfish are born male and how they live with the anemones, etc. How often do you see that behavior in FW fish? I feel like most FW fish species that we keep in the aquarium environment mostly swim back and forth and they don't do weird stuff (correct me if I'm wrong). Maybe there's some exceptions like the oscars, but yeah the majority aren't interesting imo.

Also you can keep a lot more species in SW than you can with FW.

Talking about plants vs corals, I've been keeping plants and don't know much about corals. Live plants are very nice to look at, but for me they are too much work. Trimming, CO2, fert, not to mention you have to do 25% water change every week.....

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

ThatFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mostly choose saltwater over freshwater because of the colors of all of the fish but also because saltwater is a challenge over freshwater to me. I had a freshwater tank for a few years and it was just really boring to watch and do a water change every couple weeks. with saltwater, i'm always learning something new with saltwater vs freshwater. just my own experience and reasoning.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm not sure if this post belongs to the right section, if it isn't please move it.

I've been doing FW for 5 years and recently tried SW. I'm still keeping my FW tank but mainly investing into SW now. For me SW is much more interesting, not only because of the beauty of the animals (which is subjective I guess?), but because how weird and interesting they are, like the clownfish are born male and how they live with the anemones, etc. How often do you see that behavior in FW fish? I feel like most FW fish species that we keep in the aquarium environment mostly swim back and forth and they don't do weird stuff (correct me if I'm wrong). Maybe there's some exceptions like the oscars, but yeah the majority aren't interesting imo. Talking about plants vs corals, I've been keeping plants and don't know much about corals. Live plants are very nice to look at, but for me they are too much work. Trimming, CO2, fert, not to mention you have to do 25% water change every week.....

What are your thoughts?
Hot topic here. I was just chatting with @Hemmdog about this. But SW is way more interesting to me. And the difference between the two is astronomical. FW tanks can be really beautiful, especially planted ones. But I was drawn to SW because of my love for the ocean and spending my childhood in it. I haven’t swum in many lakes and went down to check out the fish and plants. But every time I’m in the ocean, I’m curious about what’s under my feet.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts...
  • Saltwater is more complicated than freshwater
  • Saltwater is more expensive than freshwater
  • You can do saltwater easy or hard, just depends on which animals you purchase. There are easy and hard fish, corals, macroalgaes...
  • Lighting is much more important in saltwater
  • The diversity of Animals is wayyy higher in saltwater, from crustaceans to fish to corals to algaes to sponges
  • Saltwater is more interesting to me... mainly because the diversity of animals and the challenge... I like the colors more than basically the green green green that is associated with freshwater.
  • Saltwater has a higher "ceiling" and you can gradually build a great tank.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts...
  • Saltwater is more complicated than freshwater
  • Saltwater is more expensive than freshwater
  • You can do saltwater easy or hard, just depends on which animals you purchase. There are easy and hard fish, corals, macroalgaes...
  • Lighting is much more important in saltwater
  • The diversity of Animals is wayyy higher in saltwater, from crustaceans to fish to corals to algaes to sponges
  • Saltwater is more interesting to me... mainly because the diversity of animals and the challenge... I like the colors more than basically the green green green that is associated with freshwater.
  • Saltwater has a higher "ceiling" and you can gradually build a great tank.
Wait... you like saltwater because it’s more expensive? I’m waiting for the price to come down on some things ;Hilarious

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew up with a small 20gl goldfish tank and had never heard of saltwater. I never really got that interested in it. Then my Dad started talking about when he used to scuba dive. I thought that was awesome I wanted to scuba dive a see sharks. However we weren't anywhere near the ocean, so I started a tank. It was great. I love the hermit crabs and the fact that it is way more work than freshwater. I also like corals and the better colors in fish. I also like learning about all these new things.

Shazbop07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 6x2x2 fully planted, co2 injected tank full of angelfish and various community tropicals, before I ventured into saltwater. It was never boring. Angelfish are funny characters, at least mine were. SW is harder with much more to measure and control. The challenge is why we like it is it not?

OP
OP
Steven777

Steven777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 6x2x2 fully planted, co2 injected tank full of angelfish and various community tropicals, before I ventured into saltwater. It was never boring. Angelfish are funny characters, at least mine were. SW is harder with much more to measure and control. The challenge is why we like it is it not?

Lucky you! I also have angelfish and they're not that smart. I love them but they are boring at times... Maybe depends on individual fish...

Shazbop07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lucky you! I also have angelfish and they're not that smart. I love them but they are boring at times... Maybe depends on individual fish...
Oh i videoed mine a few times as they would do funny stuff like attacking bubbles in filter pipes etc, gliding horizontally sideways to have a go at a rival etc

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me the thing about saltwater is the challenge of achieving growth and colors! I guess FW also is challenging but success is more easily attainable. Reefing level hard, while getting growth and colors is attainable by only a small portion of hobbyists.

IMO the progression of FW to SW beginner, softies/LPS, LPS/SPS, and finally hardcore SPS has to do with the satisfaction of dominating the challenging damands of corals. Proof of that is many SW aquarists spend more time with their hands in their tanks, changing things, reading articles/watching videos to gain knowledge, upgrading gear than staring at the aquarium.

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep SW and FW, and here’s my thoughts:

1) SW has far more biodiversity. Not just types of fish, but types of animals. I love feeling like I have a “complete” ecosystem in my tank, rather than just fish and plants.

2) I feel like the quality of SW livestock is far higher (either wild caught or carefully aquacultured) vs FW fish that are bred in terrifyingly large, low quality batches.

I also disagree that FW is easier. It may be cheaper and less complicated, but I can keep fairy wrasse and lps a whole lot easier than a school of neon tetras.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on what you keep, FW can be just as difficult (my high tech planted tank setup was more work than my full blown reef ever was). I do find the marine fish much more interesting to look at.....plus the inverts in salt compared to fresh aren't even in the same ballpark.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep fresh water and reef tanks. I love them both and will probably always keep both. I must admit that when I finally got over my fear of the "complexity" of reefing and took the plunge, I was immediately hooked. I find the differences in the ecosystems and differences in the way I approach maintaining each fascinating.
I have to say I am far more proud of my corals than my plants. However, my favorite fish is a chocolate cichlid named Rocco, and I'm probably proudest of my dennison barbs that I've had for ever.
So in answer to your question Steven777, Yeah I guess I do prefer salt water over freshwater. Mainly because of the complexity, diversity and beauty. On the other hand, there are those of us out there that can't get enough of either. Also, my favorite color is green, so I'm good with the planted tanks. :)

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I find a reef way more complicated than a fw planted.

I agree that there is way more diversity of life in a sw tank. I love inverts. There's only so much in fresh.

Both can be very rewarding. They are both unique in their own way

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back