What makes you clam up: Are there parts of the hobby that you don’t talk about?

Are there parts of the hobby that you don’t talk about?

• I am an open clam . . . er, open book about my tank challenges

Votes: 207 53.9%
  • I share many of my challenges, but not all of them

Votes: 115 29.9%
  • I rarely share my reefing challenges

Votes: 54 14.1%
  • I’m still clammed up. I have nothing to say

Votes: 16 4.2%

• Total voters

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to talk about my mistakes in my build thread especially since I’m hoping to help others by sharing my successes and failures. Like many however I get embarrassed with losses of “bulletproof” corals (I’ve lost GSP and cabbage leather to dinos and a candy cane coral to high phosphates and the algae from said phosphates among others) although I still post about them usually.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh yeah love GIF
Yes. SOme things I never care to repeat.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So. Love the forum and the help, truly awesome, even the condescending unhelpful stuff helps. One of my biggest peeves is why @Humblefish isn't here or the people that left with him. When he went so did historic fish health research and fish treatment. Jay is good, but I feel humblefish was better for the fish.

There also seems to be "protection" from harmful review, to forum sponsorship. Seems"amazonish" where bad reviews are censored;

lynn.reef.nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am afraid of fan-boys (girls ...) <-- actually that's also a fear of mine. Getting people upset because I don't know their pronouns, but that's a different topic.

Anyways, it seems this hobby is very possessive of brand-loving. Makes no sense since none of us have a stake in the game ($$$$$) and yet we are the most vocal and will attack anyone that does not agree. I have seen folks have meme wars on instagram, nasty messages, immature blocking, and more. Why?!?!?!

If I had a bad experience with said Brand/Company, let me express it. Don't go on the attack and tell me how you ALWAYS had a good experience and I MUST HAVE DONE SOMETHING WRONG. I'm glad you did, but that doesn't really help me does it?

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People kill a lot more corals than they grew out into colonies. I think the frag business like taking 2" frag, cutting it in half, and selling is not what this hobby should be. I see on other boards everyone is running a business doing this and does not interest me at all.

Places like World Wide Corals etc. are in business because of this!

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am afraid of fan-boys (girls ...) <-- actually that's also a fear of mine. Getting people upset because I don't know their pronouns, but that's a different topic.

Anyways, it seems this hobby is very possessive of brand-loving. Makes no sense since none of us have a stake in the game ($$$$$) and yet we are the most vocal and will attack anyone that does not agree. I have seen folks have meme wars on instagram, nasty messages, immature blocking, and more. Why?!?!?!

If I had a bad experience with said Brand/Company, let me express it. Don't go on the attack and tell me how you ALWAYS had a good experience and I MUST HAVE DONE SOMETHING WRONG. I'm glad you did, but that doesn't really help me does it?
That is funny!

I run old ATI 8 bulb adjustable T5 lamp, I use Avast k1 kalk stirrer, and LifeReef skimmer and calcium reactors. Oh yeah. I also use Danner Mag pumps. Only thing that broke in last 6 months was a BRS Shuran heater. It did not make 3 year warranty.

What is instagram? :rolleyes:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back