What medicine do I give a fish if they’re having red fins and trouble to eat?

LaraFaes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys I’m in an emergency please help. I need to know which medicine to give my sick Tetra if they can’t swim well and continually gasp for air (not on the surface) don’t tell me that clean water is the best medicine because I’ve changed the water 3 times this week and they’re not getting better. I need a a quarantine tank and a medicine but my dad is refusing to buy anything if I don’t know which medicine to give her. The filter is working perfectly and all the tank mates are thriving. This is a matter of answering quickly or not, I’ve lost 2 fish this way please help!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a saltwater forum, so you'll have to hope that a reefer who also runs freshwater sees this thread and is able to assist (I'm not, unfortunately - having been out of the freshwater game for many years).

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi guys I’m in an emergency please help. I need to know which medicine to give my sick Tetra if they can’t swim well and continually gasp for air (not on the surface) don’t tell me that clean water is the best medicine because I’ve changed the water 3 times this week and they’re not getting better. I need a a quarantine tank and a medicine but my dad is refusing to buy anything if I don’t know which medicine to give her. The filter is working perfectly and all the tank mates are thriving. This is a matter of answering quickly or not, I’ve lost 2 fish this way please help!
Bloody/red fins suggest a bacterial infection - I would suggest Maracyn 2 - or an equivalent broad spectrum antibiotic. Stop changing water. Have - you checked your parameters - ammonia, etc. I assume the parameters are ok - since the other fish are ok.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bloody/red fins suggest a bacterial infection - I would suggest Maracyn 2 - or an equivalent broad spectrum antibiotic. Stop changing water. Have - you checked your parameters - ammonia, etc. I assume the parameters are ok - since the other fish are ok.
PS - IN a hospital tank

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, so I have already dosed them with methylene blue. How do I apply this product? xD I remember it said one drop every 4 liters, but how many days? Do I water change?
I cant give you specific directions - beyond whats on the label.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, so I have already dosed them with methylene blue. How do I apply this product? xD I remember it said one drop every 4 liters, but how many days? Do I water change?
PS - methylene blue is not an antibiotic. Its seems to me to be more antiinflammatory - But - apparently can affect certain organisms.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don’t take this as anything other than someone trying to help… I’ve seen a few of your posts about the glofish lately, and last I saw you were unable to provide parameters. It’s pretty important to be testing your water periodically, and especially when issues begin to pop up. If not ammonia or nitrite, fluctuations in ph can cause problems for your freshwater fish, so I would also make it a priority to order test kits so you can keep track of your water quality.

OP
OP
L

LaraFaes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok! I'll let you know how she's going tomorrow :)
Please don’t take this as anything other than someone trying to help… I’ve seen a few of your posts about the glofish lately, and last I saw you were unable to provide parameters. It’s pretty important to be testing your water periodically, and especially when issues begin to pop up. If not ammonia or nitrite, fluctuations in ph can cause problems for your freshwater fish, so I would also make it a priority to order test kits so you can keep track of your water quality

OP
OP
L

LaraFaes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Gem's fine! I had to buy a quarantine tank with live algae and make a lot of epsom salt baths, but she recovered! It's still troublesome for her to eat, but I just move the fish to the quarantine tank so she can eat :)

Thanks for the advice!

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Gem's fine! I had to buy a quarantine tank with live algae and make a lot of epsom salt baths, but she recovered! It's still troublesome for her to eat, but I just move the fish to the quarantine tank so she can eat :)

Thanks for the advice!

I'm glad to hear your fish is doing better but I'm echoing Lyss's comments and say I'm trying to help you be successful long term. It sounds from your post you're moving your fish from one tank to another to feed. If correct, the stress from moving back and forth will have adverse effects on your fish. It also suggests there's something wrong with your display tank that your fish eats better in your quarintine tank. As also mentioned by Lyss I think you need to be testing the water of your system to figure out what's going on. I strongly urge you to connect with local aquarists who can help and advise you much better than posting here on a saltwater forum.

OP
OP
L

LaraFaes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, there aren't any local aquarists here xD the thing is she doesn't want to eat because it takes too much effort to swim up due to her damaged fins; and all of her tankmates bully her a lot so I really need to move her to the quarantine tank. It's only once a day and she's started to get outstandingly better. I can't risk it to not give her food for one day because she won't have enough energy and dwelling in the bottom. Right now I'm using aquarium salt and methylene blue, I heard it does wonders for the fish and she has recuperated a bit! I know this is a saltwater forum but any advice is much appreciated. Y'all put your fish in a clean aquarium and that's it but I don't know what to do because as much as I change the water, it still has weird parameters. Recently, I've been planting live algae to polish things out :)
I'm glad to hear your fish is doing better but I'm echoing Lyss's comments and say I'm trying to help you be successful long term. It sounds from your post you're moving your fish from one tank to another to feed. If correct, the stress from moving back and forth will have adverse effects on your fish. It also suggests there's something wrong with your display tank that your fish eats better in your quarintine tank. As also mentioned by Lyss I think you need to be testing the water of your system to figure out what's going on. I strongly urge you to connect with local aquarists who can help and advise you much better than posting here on a saltwater forum.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good params, QT with praziquantel or metronidazole.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back